DISCUSSION THREAD -- SEPTEMBER 2022 -- 75 Word Challenge

I had to Google honour as it doesn't sit well with pitchforks in general and that brought me to all things in Japan, and so on.
Pst… for the future reference.
It wasnt uncommon (from what i heared) for knights captured by peasants to knight the pitchforky folk so that they didn’t have to explain how could they get captured by mere peasant
fits pitchfork.
:)

I was about to decry the word limit, and how it stunts sentences that would otherwise flow more naturally.
I have the same thing with my newest.
I am extremally proud of it, but in the same time I know my sentences don’t work that well together, and i didn’t notice “for” repetition in totally different tone.
It’s disgusting i hate it… (the first for should be “as”!!)
<turns into a crying ball somewhere in the corner of a room>

@Bowler1 So, does that mean you're turning Japanese? (The Vamps)
Yes... or I am for the month of September. I have found an old suit of Karuta (see Google) lying around (you'll find everything you'll ever need somewhere around here) that I have to say, suits me rather well. If any Vampires do turn up my old mob buddy, we're ready to take them on.

Pst… for the future reference.
It wasnt uncommon (from what i heared) for knights captured by peasants to knight the pitchforky folk so that they didn’t have to explain how could they get captured by mere peasant
fits pitchfork.
:)
Yeah - I've been promoted. Things are really looking up for me.

@Mon0Zer0 .... The Giving Time ,,,, M. Z. writes a tale with universal and contemporary significance. Honor to be maintained must extend to the whole person and activity.

@AnRoinnUltra .... The left shoe of dignity .... A.R.U. writes us a tale of true and assumed honor.

Last edited:
Thanks @Parson. In hindsight, I probably should have used an English language title. I was just taken at the time about the character perhaps thinking that sentiment, and it didn't seem right to imagine it in English. I actually used Google Translate to get the title (I certainly can't claim to be fluent in Japanese). The translation was: 'For the Honour of the People.' Naturally, something could have been lost in, erm, translation!

And wow, @Bowler1, I genuinely hadn't read your entry and your choice of topic AND title. Honestly, my entry wasn't an attempt at me jumping on the band wagon (although a story about Samurai, Klingons, or noble warriors isn't a massive stretch when the theme is 'honour'. I generally never read anyone else's entries until voting time. I guess great minds think alike! ;)

Apparently my muse is feeling contrary this month. With apologies to both Parson and Her Honour, opinions expressed by characters do not necessarily reflect the views of the author, etc. etc... :LOL:

Some incredible entries already. I'm keeping an open mind regarding where my vote goes, but I've already had my mind blown.

I understand about muses, Stable. Mine has been rather sour for several years now, I think. Someday I'll have to try a happy story, again. (I suspect it would quickly turn into a horror, though.) Good entry, CC

I’ll read your horror any time CC. I still occasionally think about your “as above, so below” cosmic horror entry from some time back.

That's very kind, Stable, thank you. Wow, that story must be 4-5 years ago. I guess the Challenges can help mark time's passing. :)

I am also having trouble with my story. If I remember correctly I'm not the first to struggle with an entry into the topic that s/he picked. But I do have a story written and I'm letting it percolate. I've discovered that time clears the mind and the insight. I am not one who can slapdash something down very often. Usually when I do that I regret it massively later.

So much time left, Parson! You can even give it two weeks, to percolate thoroughly, and still meet the deadline.:)

It does seem a struggle to write your own story, from your own prompts after a victory. When I've won, I've always really struggled to come up with the next month's genre/theme (not wanting to disappoint people with my choices). It seems more stressful than waiting for all the votes to come in, when I've won. I wonder if that could be part of the issue - that, maybe, there was some stress involved with the choosing of the genre/theme, and it affects the creative processes needed to utilize those choices? But best of luck completing your entry, CC

@Stable .... Confession of an Honourless Executed Criminal .... Stable brings us a revolutionary definition of honor.

@johnnyjet .... After the Parade .... J. J. writes a story of the fleeting honor of the crowd.

@Peter V ..... Henry XXVIII .... P. V. brings us into the world of courtly dishonor; with a side of one-upmanship.

Naturally, something could have been lost in, erm, translation!

Many years ago when taking Greek, my professor asked me how I translated a certain phrase. I don't remember the translation but I do remember prefacing my translation with the disclaimer: "Terribly literally ...." After I made my attempt my professor said: "I now understand what 'terribly literally means.'" Sigh!!

Great minds indeed BT Jones, what can I say - says Bowler1, strutting proudly.

Or honour and Japan sit together like peas in a pod, but I'm staying with great minds.

I just spotted a grammatical error in my entry. Must have read it at least ten times and I only spot it now. Grrr!

Back