Do we need more optimistic space adventure without rubber suited aliens?

CmdrShepN7

Rubber suited aliens were common from the 80s to the 90s then sci fi became more human centric.

ulU7ecA.jpg

There is "The Expanse", which I enjoyed and "The Orville".

Do we need an optimistic space adventure with new and refreshing ideas for alien life instead of the rubber suited aliens?

Naw, we like rubber suited Aliens bent on universal domination because its long standing science fiction tradition .:D

Im kidding. :)

Yes, we could do with the kind of Space adventure that you have in mind. :cool:

Yes. I'm looking forward to 'Project Hail Mary' adaptation, I think that could be great. (Read the book if you haven't)

The advantage of aliens is that it allows the writer to be able to present humanity as a united front, rather than our usual squabbling selves (ST). Even upbeat 2001 pits the Americans against the Soviets.

But I agree that we could use some TV/film SF that depicts adventure driven by exploration of the natural universe rather than military conflict between humans or humans/aliens.

But I agree that we could use some TV/film SF that depicts adventure driven by exploration of the natural universe rather than military conflict between humans or humans/aliens.
Good call, conflict helps drama but there seems to be plenty of that about in the real world already -would be hard to drive a story on without it though.

Maybe someone could fo a reboot of Moonbase 3?
Sounds good, the link says that it was an antecedent realistic British space series to Space: 1999 ...it's been a while but don't remember that being realistic ;)

Good call, conflict helps drama but there seems to be plenty of that about in the real world already -would be hard to drive a story on without it though.
All narratives have "conflict", but that conflict doesn't have to be military or violent in nature. The regular universe provides mystery, non-violent personal conflict and mortal danger without violent actions by people. Most of 2001 fits that mold.

I rewatched 2001 recently, on a big screen. I was marveling at "how could they do this in 1960." all the way, until we get to the
part where he enters the monolith (or whatever it is that happens)
. I was like , "This is worse than I remember." And then I had to think to the ending of Interstellar, which is about as bad.

Why take such a promising premise and then OD it on 1960s Hippie LSD? Why?

I rewatched 2001 recently, on a big screen. I was marveling at "how could they do this in 1960." all the way, until we get to the
part where he enters the monolith (or whatever it is that happens)
. I was like , "This is worse than I remember." And then I had to think to the ending of Interstellar, which is about as bad.

Why take such a promising premise and then OD it on 1960s Hippie LSD? Why?

Because they didn't really ave the biget to do the thing that Clark put into the novelization. of 2001.

Because they didn't really ave the biget to do the thing that Clark put into the novelization. of 2001.
I found the rest of the movie (the orbital scenes, the lunar scenes, the deep space scenes, with the carousel and the pods) absolutely top notch in terms of special effects. I forget the ending to the novel. I recall something about the star child, but I think the novel was a bit barmy too.

I found the rest of the movie (the orbital scenes, the lunar scenes, the deep space scenes, with the carousel and the pods) absolutely top notch in terms of special effects. I forget the ending to the novel. I recall something about the star child, but I think the novel was a bit barmy too.

Its been a long time since I read Clark novels I seem to recall Bowman travel's through brought him to various tops , At one he found giant abandoned station with what appeared to be derelict aliens ships possibly the builder of the Monoliths .

There is book you might want ot check out by Clarke that was published in 1972. The Lost Worlds of 2001. which contains earlier versions of 2001. It's a good read. :cool:

All narratives have "conflict"
Am figuring that out with attempts at writing. Am curious to see if anyone has tried to spin a tale where nothing opposes the protagonists -is it possible? I'm guessing in anyone knows it'd be @BAYLOR

All six episodes are on YouTube.
Very good, have them lined up for a watch. Surprisingly more slick than I imagined. Funny how ya can tell it's an 70's future -like a western but it's a 50's 60's 70's etc. western. Thanks (y)

Am figuring that out with attempts at writing. Am curious to see if anyone has tried to spin a tale where nothing opposes the protagonists -is it possible? I'm guessing in anyone knows it'd be @BAYLOR
Pick any fiction story - there is a conflict for the protagonist to get past. That's what the story is. Doesn't matter if it is a comedy, romance or any other light fiction.

Ben Bova's "Grand Tour" series? It's exploration character arc would make it a good watch on the TV.

Seeing as there’s only a tiny handful of them, I’d like to see more Cosmic Horror like Event Horizon, The Void and The Beyond.
Do you think Europa Report, The Chronicles of Riddick or maybe the original Solaris are in this vein?