Do we need more optimistic space adventure without rubber suited aliens?

Do you think Europa Report, The Chronicles of Riddick or maybe the original Solaris are in this vein?
Hmm… that’s interesting. I think Europa Report gets put into cosmic horror because of the tentacles. Chrons of Riddick I can’t recall as I saw it years ago and wasn’t impressed. What’re your thoughts on those two?

For me, the key to cosmic horror is (usually) an unknowable antagonist. Something outside of whatever galactic Darwinian methodology is used in the playworld.

Upstream Colour is almost an inscrutable Cosmic Horror whereas In the Mouth of Madness is a more prosaic (but wildly enjoyable) expression. The Cabin in the Woods has cosmic horror elements at the end but I’d class it as a creolisation of genres.

However, like most things I suspect we draw our own definitions… just don’t let August Derleth near your manuscript…

Oddly enough, the dreadful Nicolas Cage Colour Out of Space was a mundane ‘alien’ story AFAIC than cosmic horror. (And, how that idiotic pratfall of an actor even had a career is quite beyond my capacity.)

For me, the key to cosmic horror is (usually) an unknowable antagonist. Something outside of whatever galactic Darwinian methodology is used in the playworld.
That is why I mentioned Solaris. I recall the original leaving me feeling unsettled.

Europa probably isn't the right thing, though one of the bad Mars films I didn't see from 20 years ago had some of those elements.

I actually like Riddick because it depicts spiritually broken people in an odd and original way, rather than just as a Vin Diesel action film.

Love Upstream Color. But I didn't find any of it unsettling.

That is why I mentioned Solaris. I recall the original leaving me feeling unsettled.

Europa probably isn't the right thing, though one of the bad Mars films I didn't see from 20 years ago had some of those elements.

I actually like Riddick because it depicts spiritually broken people in an odd and original way, rather than just as a Vin Diesel action film.

Love Upstream Color. But I didn't find any of it unsettling.
Totally agree about Solaris! I was surprised about Upstream Colour … when I mentioned it I thought about Primer and how even tho it’s SF (hard SF?) There’s an element of existential dread.

I rewatched 2001 recently, on a big screen. I was marveling at "how could they do this in 1960." all the way, until we get to the
part where he enters the monolith (or whatever it is that happens)
. I was like , "This is worse than I remember." And then I had to think to the ending of Interstellar, which is about as bad.

Why take such a promising premise and then OD it on 1960s Hippie LSD? Why?

I was watching a video on time dilation and was quite surprised how spot on the hippyish effects were to how things would actually look if you were travelling at near light speed.

MIT developed this game to show how things would look, including the shift in perspective and colours. Amazing how close they got it back then!