What names would you choose for post scarcity space stations?

Captain Homicide

Science fiction fantasy
This prompt is inspired by Iain Banks’ Culture series. If you could choose the names for 10 large spaceships capable of carrying hundreds of millions of people in post scarcity utopic comfort which names would you choose and why?

Examples:
Heracles
Limitless
Obsidian
Elysium
Funland
Sankara
Primrose
Seraph

I Know a Nice Empty Planet
A Shortfall of Sense
The Things We Could Have Build
Of Course I Still Miss Home
Space is Truly Dark and Empty

I agree with @Elckerlyc and Mr. Banks that there would be a tendency toward humor in a fancy-free society. Words of bravery might seem very odd in a conflictless world.

Other ways to go would be historical names (New Amsterdam) or more poetic alusions.

Big Chicken
Little Void Skipper
Interstellar Tub
The Wicker Basket
Great Spaces Unlimited
The Cosmic Kettledrum
Cruiser One
The Great Space Blueberry
The Sputtering Sphere
The Shooting Star

Boaty McBoatface and Of Course I Still Love You.

Really you're going to get the name of every Nerd-ship like Millennium Falcon, Enterprise, Black Pearl, and Babylon Five (without 1-4) unless the culture dictates "stately" names like Freedom and Hope. They might even get computer-generated names that get changed to human attempts to pronounce them. I'm currently using a keyboard-mash name that has potential.

Crunchy Frog
Spring Surprise

And the let's hope inaccurately named
Cockroach Cluster

Last edited:
Other ways to go would be historical names (New Amsterdam) or more poetic alusions.
I think that's the most likely, especially if the people aboard came from the same geographical places, so -

New England
New Orleans
Nova Scotia
New New York
A New Hope

However, maybe the person in charge of naming has absolutely no imagination at all, if so -

Tropical Habitat
Temperate Habitat
Habitat 201c
Habitat 108b
Habitat 54a

I suppose that the closest to this would be the names of tower blocks in Mega City One. The name chosen would probably depend on who was naming them; military, scientists, government and the citizens who live on board would probably all come up with different names.

Atlas
Nova Terra
Abraham's Bosom
Noah
Gaia 2
Lifebringer
Haven
Excelsior
Tomorrow's Dream
Destiny

Miles Runs The Voodoo Down
Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict
You Walrus Hurt The One You Love
Somebody’s Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight
A Hard Day’s Night
Nick Teen And Al K Hall
An Open Letter To The Lyrical Trainspotter
Serutan Yob
Christmas Is Really Fantastic
The Canyons Of Your Mind

(Fun game: without googling etc, how many of these do you know?)

Back