1970's swordsman series?

Syuzin

I started reading a series of at least 7 books in the late 1970's. I only had books 1,2,4 and 7 - got them at a used book store at the time, so they may have been written in the 50's or 60's as well. I remember the series starting out on earth, with the main character learning sword play from a master. I remember there being some move he learned that was unbeatable. At some point I believe he discovers a portal to another world through a trap door. His skill with a sword is important to his success on this new world. That's about all I can remember. It's not one of the more popular or better known series - I've already checked those off the list. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like to finish the series. :)

Philip Jose Farmer wrote a series of 7 books about The World of the Tiers. The World of the Tiers is several civilizations, and Our Hero is known by unique names in these civilizations-- and he's learned different fighting techniques. Travel is through >gates<, usually 2 semi-circles of metal, that when touched together open the gate and allow travel to another place within the worlds. Our Hero entered the worlds accidentally when a gate was opened on our Earth, and he was in position for it to move him.

Although Our Hero has learned several fighting skills, I don't recall if swordplay was paramount.

Philip Jose Farmer wrote a series of 7 books about The World of the Tiers. The World of the Tiers is several civilizations, and Our Hero is known by unique names in these civilizations-- and he's learned different fighting techniques. Travel is through >gates<, usually 2 semi-circles of metal, that when touched together open the gate and allow travel to another place within the worlds. Our Hero entered the worlds accidentally when a gate was opened on our Earth, and he was in position for it to move him.

Although Our Hero has learned several fighting skills, I don't recall if swordplay was paramount.
Appreciate the effort, but not the series I'm looking for. It does sound interesting though. :)

I started reading a series of at least 7 books in the late 1970's. I only had books 1,2,4 and 7 - got them at a used book store at the time, so they may have been written in the 50's or 60's as well. I remember the series starting out on earth, with the main character learning sword play from a master. I remember there being some move he learned that was unbeatable. At some point I believe he discovers a portal to another world through a trap door. His skill with a sword is important to his success on this new world. That's about all I can remember. It's not one of the more popular or better known series - I've already checked those off the list. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like to finish the series. :)

Might help if you let us know which series you are sure it is not.

Piers Anthony’s Apprentice Adept series? Starts with Split Infinity, has seven books, swordplay, and starts on Earth.

Piers Anthony’s Apprentice Adept series? Starts with Split Infinity, has seven books, swordplay, and starts on Earth.
I've read those. Not the series I'm looking for. Appreciate the thought.

Could it possibly be the Witch World Series by Andre Norton ?:unsure:

What, all 37 of them? ;)
I haven't read them all.... but there have been comments on-line! IIRC, one comment said that one of the volumes didn't have as much sex as the earlier volumes.

That actually sounds like one of Lin Carter's Ganymede series, a la Burroughs. Did they also have flying ships made from lacquered paper and a companion rather like a giant preying mantis?

Correction: it was on Callisto.

Last edited:

Back