SF audio drama and audiobooks ya listened to

AnRoinnUltra

Sci-Fi Seanachaí
Supporter
Apologies if there's already a spot for these on the forum -I just can't seem to find it. Just wanted to post a thread for recommendations/ ideas. I think there's a bit of a debate about about audiobooks (read @The Big Peat comparing them to badly fermented rice) but I think they're a great way of storytelling.
Anyway the internet is a bit of a Wild West for these things and it'd be nice have a spot to see what others make of the content:
-'Transmissions from Colony One'; listened to Series One and I reckon it was very well acted and produced. Humans on Mars and things go awry. Seemed to go for excitement/ drama so the story seemed a little light but I was blown away by the skill of the production.
-'Victoriocity'; I thought this was very well written and produced. Bonkers ye oldy style SF (steampunk?) based around the south of England in an alternative Victorian Universe.

Anyways, just an idea, my reading has gone to hell and audiobooks/ drama seem like a practical alternative. Not sure if Audiobooks should go with 'reading' threads so left them out of this. Also because scripted drama (podcasts?) seem a different skill ...'the obvious familiar noisy thing just happened which means I'm off to do something, so you can go ahead and listen to other folk talking and doing stuff somewhere else -don't worry, there'll be a pile of noises to clue you in on what's going on.'

Hi there. I think there has been a thread already for this, but i haven't seen it in a while. Audio Drama's are pretty few and far between for me, but i do think that its an underrated medium.

Of course, I did enjoy the Star Wars radio dramas, Dark Empire and the like. They were well done and i enjoyed them a lot.

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is a classic and i'll revisit it every now and then. If you haven't heard it, i beg you to download it as soon as you can as it is genuinely funny.

Some time ago, i decided that i wanted to stop watching telly during the week and i downloaded a few of the Culture novels by Iain M. Banks. I started listening to Consider Phlebas, which was very good. The Narrator really tried to give each of the characters a different voice. I might try and get back into them as i wouldn't mind cutting down on telly during the week.

I still haven't listened to the Lord of the Rings radio drama, which i am led to believe is very good and i want to get into the Judge Dredd audio dramas, too.

Hi there. I think there has been a thread already for this, but i haven't seen it in a while. Audio Drama's are pretty few and far between for me, but i do think that its an underrated medium.

Of course, I did enjoy the Star Wars radio dramas, Dark Empire and the like. They were well done and i enjoyed them a lot.

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is a classic and i'll revisit it every now and then. If you haven't heard it, i beg you to download it as soon as you can as it is genuinely funny.

Some time ago, i decided that i wanted to stop watching telly during the week and i downloaded a few of the Culture novels by Iain M. Banks. I started listening to Consider Phlebas, which was very good. The Narrator really tried to give each of the characters a different voice. I might try and get back into them as i wouldn't mind cutting down on telly during the week.

I still haven't listened to the Lord of the Rings radio drama, which i am led to believe is very good and i want to get into the Judge Dredd audio dramas, too.
Thanks -will give the Star Wars dramas a go, I saw them but wasn't sure how it'd work. The Hitchers is due another play. Mission to Zyxx seems to be highly rated among reviews but I couldn't get into it ...maybe I'm missed something, might try again. Will give Consider Phlebas a go -heard the Librivox version of Murray Leinster's 'Runaway Skyscraper' during the week, will have to look up the narrator but they were excellent (plenty of bonkers science in the plot too). Let me know if ya get to Judge Dredd, could be fun.
Def agree with the underrated medium thing. Nice to sit down for a listen. Plus if life's too busy there's always ten mins in 24hrs to play an episode. (y)

Audio Drama's are pretty few and far between for me,

There are quite a few communities that produce audiodramas. Check out Audio Drama Hub on facebook for a tonne of creators.

In addition to Big Finish who do Dr Who, Dan Dare, Blake's 7, Stargate Atlantis, Torchwood etc. you've got audiodramas like The Minister Of Chance (With Sylvester McCoy and Jenny Agutter), BBC Radio plays, The Scarifyers, Chimera (with Brian Glover), and so on...

There are quite a few communities that produce audiodramas. Check out Audio Drama Hub on facebook for a tonne of creators.

In addition to Big Finish who do Dr Who, Dan Dare, Blake's 7, Stargate Atlantis, Torchwood etc. you've got audiodramas like The Minister Of Chance (With Sylvester McCoy and Jenny Agutter), BBC Radio plays, The Scarifyers, Chimera (with Brian Glover), and so on...
Thanks -just requested to join the Audio Drama Hub; seemingly they list new content on a Friday. The BBC stuff can be very good (the 'Caves of Steel' adaption sticks out in my mind). Will try the Dan Dare stuff -looks like fun. (y)

Archive 81

The Deep Vault

Alien: Out of the Shadows, River of Pain, and Sea of Sorrows

Limetown

Some more listed here:

X Minus One:

Dimension X

Some more listed here:

There are some terrific supernatural (some supposedly authentic and some fictional) on BBC iplayer. There is also (on Youtube) Michael Hordern in a radio adaptation of 'Oh Whistle'. If you enjoy MR James, or Hordern's excellent short film based on the story, then I would urge you to listen to this as it adds an extra dimension to the tale, set sometime after the events of the book. Michael Hordern also reads several other MR James' stories, all of which are perfect listening late at night.

For SF there is the radio version of HHGTTG - before it became a book. I'm not sure that this has ever, or will ever, be surpassed.

For Fantasy there is the terrific BBC radio adaptation of both The Hobbit and LOTR. If you like the books, then you will love the radio adaptation.

A long time since I've read them, but I did used to enjoy Tony Robinson's abridged readings of Terry Pratchett's novels. Again, there's a brilliant BBC radio version of 'Guards!, Guards!'

I forgot about the Blake’s 7 audio dramas. I remember seeing them advertised in sFX magazine and I always meant to pick them up.

Archive 81

The Deep Vault

Alien: Out of the Shadows, River of Pain, and Sea of Sorrows

Limetown

Some more listed here:

X Minus One:

Dimension X

Some more listed here:

Thank you for taking the time to put that together, that's a serious list. The Deep Vault looks interesting, and it's great to have the other links all in one place. Reckon X Minus One is the gold standard -every one I've heard has been brilliant SF.
Fair play, that list'd keep anyone outta trouble;)

There are some terrific supernatural (some supposedly authentic and some fictional) on BBC iplayer. There is also (on Youtube) Michael Hordern in a radio adaptation of 'Oh Whistle'. If you enjoy MR James, or Hordern's excellent short film based on the story, then I would urge you to listen to this as it adds an extra dimension to the tale, set sometime after the events of the book. Michael Hordern also reads several other MR James' stories, all of which are perfect listening late at night.

For SF there is the radio version of HHGTTG - before it became a book. I'm not sure that this has ever, or will ever, be surpassed.

For Fantasy there is the terrific BBC radio adaptation of both The Hobbit and LOTR. If you like the books, then you will love the radio adaptation.

A long time since I've read them, but I did used to enjoy Tony Robinson's abridged readings of Terry Pratchett's novels. Again, there's a brilliant BBC radio version of 'Guards!, Guards!'
Fair play, have never heard of 'Oh Whistle' (or MR James) but a quick search has turned up a wealth of Radio/ Audio adaptions -thank you; gonna start with 'Guards!, Guards!' as that sounds like it'd be good for a end of weekend kick.
Thanks

Check out Audio Drama Hub
Just to say thanks for that -was well worth joining *(or whatever the Facebook word for accessing restricted content is ...I'm gonna call it flugswampling); there's a ton of links to audio content linked by what seem to be folk well into their art. Great spot, thanks

I had a special War of the Worlds book that came with the CD audio of the George Orwell radio drama. It was pretty good, but there were announcements that it was fiction, so I don't understand why everyone went crazy.

I want to start cycling home from work once or twice a week which is a 3 hour cycle. I'm thinking that audio books is a great way to kill that time.

Currently listening to The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks and read by Peter Kenny. Not only is this my favourite book, but i'm finding Peter's reading to be very good as he throws quite a few accents and what not in, which make the experience a little more intesting.

I've also been getting back into 2000AD by way of the Judge Dredd books and i'm thinking of giving their Audio Dramas a shot. I also recently watched Blakes 7 and really enjoyed it, so i'm thinking of downloading those as well.

Last edited:
Just giving this a quick bump. I've listened to a lot of the Culture novels by Iain M. Banks and have found them to be absolutely brilliant. A wonderful reminder on why that man is my favourite author. Peter Kenny is a fabulous narrator. Each character is quite well voiced and has their own, unique accent. I think Peter is really enjoying himself when reading them.

I also listened to a couple of Blake's 7 episodes. Nice to see so many of the original cast taking part and will definitely be listening to a few more of those. Vince recommended Big Finish Audio. They also have some Dr. Who stories.

I'd really like to get the audio books of Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire trilogy, but i can only find the abridged versions and that doesn't interest me at all.

I've been getting back into Judge Dredd by way of the novels. I've very much enjoyed what i've read and i intend to get all of the audio dramas that have been released. They look like a fantastic voice cast and i'm looking forward to listening to them, too.