Thoughts about starting again?

Bramandin

Science fiction fantasy
I don't want to completely scrap what I have for Orphan Meets a Monster, but I think I'm at an impasse. I've got a good hook, but no idea how to get it really jammed into the mouth. 7,500 words is a short story, not a prologue, but I think that maybe treating it like a prologue might give me a bit more wiggle-room about starting in a mundane place instead of starting later and having to do a flashback about his backstory. The only literary example of this that I've seen was The Thorns of Barevi which was a short story that got reworked long after it was first published. A non-literary example I had in mind was My Little Pony where the first TV special was pretty metal with an actual threat and needing a hero while the first TV series toned it down into a slice of life.

In my case, it wouldn't be a permanent tone-shift, more like a slow-burn about how MC isn't especially special.

This might be quite a long post.

Last week, I was talking to a writing friend about a short story that I couldn't make work. It had a really good idea with a twist in the end. She said "That's not a short story - that's a novel." So, I've put the short story (about 8,000 words) on hold until I've figured it out. I've not got the time to write another novel right now, but if that's what it needs to work...

From all your posts, it sounds as if you really like talking about writing. This is sometimes a bad thing, as sometimes when people talk about their writing a lot, doing so can meet the need that actually doing to writing fills (if that makes any sense). On the other hand, you've written 7,500 of this and more as well, so it's not as if you're not going to put the work in.

If you did write something else, you could write it about people who were less emotive and less passive, two problems that have been already identified. Not writing about teenagers* helps greatly here. I prefer to read and write about older, professional types, (spies, detectives, space captains etc) because all the emoting of young people is hard to do convincingly and not very interesting, and because the actions of a skilled person can drive the story. If your hero goes to a village to find and kill a vampire, that's the story almost written in a sentence. The twists and adventures along the way are a bonus. His search for the vampire will drive the story forward.

So if I were you I'd consider it (I personally would start something new, but I'm not you). However, don't throw anything away: keep all rough drafts and things like that, as they might come in handy later and will be useful practice. Raymond Chandler made whole novels by sticking old short stories together and reworking them.

*Or rather not writing about people living like modern teenagers, with schools, parents, etc. A teenage apprentice fighting dragons with his mentor is different.

Last edited:
From all your posts, it sounds as if you really like talking about writing.

I apologize because this did get long and I'm not editing it down.

I'd rather be writing than talking about it, but I'm tired of being bad at it. When I wrote Breaking the Timestreamer, the people on Discord noticed that I wasn't talking much. There's actually a lot of stuff between writing and talking about writing that I'd rather be doing, but I'm stuck in a hoard and even if I became an ascetic minimalist I'd get overwhelmed if I actually looked around. (Right now, I feel like my personal stuff should just be pared down by 20% and properly organized unless I was going to give up entire categories of art/hobby supplies, of which each one would probably gain me less than a banker's box of space.)

TLDR the rest: a bunch of what I could do and the associated problems... I think I'm stuck on writing a fantasy bildungsroman.

I'm rolling around the idea of how to still treat what I have as a prologue and jump to Radley as an adult. We'd miss a lot of the point if I did that, which is learning about the world's mythology/history through him being the naive. I could rework the prologue, maybe manage to shorten it a bit while not getting it down to prologue length. This would be the result of completely changing Tarmin pass to a place that didn't have elves... Okay I just got overwhelmed with how much frogging that requires; let's assume it will be easy.

So Radley is taken from his home in Blackrock to Tarmin Pass, which instead of having a population of elves just has a small occupying force that isn't friendly. (Maybe I could rework it into the elves not being there at all?) None of the story gets written down between Radley getting there and him leaving again. When Radley is old enough to survive on his own, he travels with the occupying elves when their detail is rotated out and finds Jacobi or Leti. (Or the worgen problem is cleared up enough by then that it's reasonably safe to travel.) That's when Radley starts learning about the magical world. (Magic is pretty much lost technology among humans for various reasons, save for places that leaned into using magic.)

Or let's try a different track, the story is still the way I was planning to write it, but after the prologue ends with Radley getting kidnapped, it skips to Radley coming of age and becoming a diplomat. It would be like Book of the Jhereg or Daniel Hood's A Familiar Dragon where it's hinted that the MC has an interesting backstory but all that magic is treated as matter-of-fact in favor of telling a gritty mobster story or a murder mystery respectively; which I don't really like enough to do one. (Both of those sound like your cup of tea if you're willing to read fantasy.)

With the teenager doing something amazing, maybe he could run away from his foster family sooner, but I would still want to treat it as a bildungsroman where he's not so much a heroic figure as an irritant to the status quo. Changing the MC to his elf friend isn't going to fix any of the problems. (His burden would be that he's the deciding factor between his whole race being exterminated or just his culture.) The elf kid's cousin is that world's equivalent of a half-orc and I have no idea what the plot would be beyond another bildungsroman. The Gandalf/Merlin might be interesting but his fanfiction version took over the story from the kerfriggen Mary-Sue and it would probably be a rehash of what I've already done.

I could just give up on that story. I did want to do a fanfiction from Vorador's POV between Blood Omen and Blood Omen 2. I'm limited in that my starting and ending points are fairly defined and "dynamic character" can only excuse so many behavior shifts. I also don't like vampires that much, especially since Vorador is what should be typical vampire behavior. My vampire Mary-Sue in that world was unabashedly a goofy vegetarian.

Letitia the worgen from Orphan Meets a Monster is based on my Mary-Sue, just stripped of any special powers and with a completely different backstory. I haven't nailed down if she was instrumental in taking down the evil sorcerers or just a sidekick to the one sorcerer who took down the other two. However, even if I wrote her story, I still have more interest in what happens afterwards, which is helping to raise the elf child and a reincarnation of an evil sorcerer, which again just leads me to rehashing my fanfiction.

There was another minor character in my fanfiction, an adult hereditary duke named Caldwell, that was getting interesting, but I'd have to rework the worldbuilding again to make his story into original fiction.

No offence, but I don't think I can really give any advice on that.

What I would say is this: If you want to write a novel or a short story you need a plot. "Stuff happens to a man and he learns about the world" isn't enough. It doesn't matter what the setting is or how unusual/interesting the characters are if there isn't a plot. You need to be able to answer the question "What is the story of this book?" in a couple of sentences. How does it start? What makes it finish? At the moment it reminds me of when someone tells you about their D&D character, without any context.

How does it start? What makes it finish?

The story starts with a deus ex machina rescuing Radley from a neglectful situation where he was unlikely to survive much longer. The plan is to have it end where he disrupts the culture that nearly killed him. (I have the idea that I could go a bit further and indicate that he spends the rest of his adulthood doing that in other places, but it sounds like a sequel unless I switch to just making that the story without the first one.) The story in-between is about what causes the growth that allows him to do that.

I'm not sure what more you're looking for. It's not like his story begins with a quest to hunt down the worgen that killed his father. Even Harry Potter didn't learn he was the prophesized hero that was going to end Voldemort for good until at least book five, IIRC.

I was just looking for examples of bildungsroman and Harry Potter was given as an example. I was wondering if it was a high-school drama or a story about a chosen one taking down the dark lord. Also To Kill a Mockingbird is an example and I wish I wasn't so afraid of the dialect. I just found another list, and I'll give A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit, and It a shot before looking at the others.

Four stages of a bildungsroman:
1. Loss
The protagonist experiences a profound loss at the beginning of the novel, usually during their early formative years. This could be a death, or perhaps the end of a significant relationship.

2. Journey
Following this loss, the protagonist embarks on a journey, which can be physical or metaphorical, to find the answer to a big question. In the process, they will gain life experience that helps them better understand life and the world.

3. Conflict and personal growth
The journey isn’t easy, and the protagonist makes at least a few mistakes along the way and is usually at odds with society. But as the story progresses, they slowly begin to accept the ideals of society.

4. Maturity
By the end of the novel, the protagonist demonstrates significant change, psychological growth, , and maturity. The story sometimes ends with them helping someone else on their path to maturity.

The greatest loss happens before the story begins with him being an orphan. His journey, conflict, and personal growth would be choosing to cooperate with his kidnapper to live in the new setting, adapting to it, though still being enough at-odds with that setting to be unsatisfied... (Hunger Games was put forth as another example of bildungsroman. I think I've read it before, but Katniss becomes an instigator of change.) Basically Radley's story is similar in that he doesn't accept the ideals of society but strives to create a new ideal, which is a form of maturity greater than going along with what's comfortable.

(I'm really latching onto a new idea that he runs away from his foster family to yet another society when he's old enough to survive it; having the Gandalf ask him to go back home after that instead of being the instigator. The society with his foster family is better but still has a problem.)

I'm not sure I've seen examples of the big question being blatant... I can't figure out what Katniss' question was. Harry Potter might have started out with curiosity about who his parents really were. I'm sure I've read other examples but I don't know what they are.

Last edited:
Even Harry Potter didn't learn he was the prophesized hero that was going to end Voldemort for good until at least book five, IIRC.
Yes, but each book of Harry Potter had its own story: "Harry has to stop someone from stealing the Philosopher's Stone," "Harry has to find out who's attacking students and stop them," "Harry wants to know why Sirius Black is after him," "Harry has to survive the Triwizard Tournament," - even though all of those books technically are "giving Harry something to do before the big showdown," they all have their own mini-arcs that occupy the reader's attention. There were hints at the overarching story, but each book had its own beginning, middle, and end that contributed in its own way to Harry's growth.

I would recommend you to analyze Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book. It's a bildungsroman, but it's structured like a short story collection - as each chapter is an episode in the life of the main character - while still building up to the confrontation at the end (and, like Harry, the MC has no knowledge of this coming confrontation until about 2/3rds of the way through the book). Each episode is its own story, with a beginning, middle, and end, so they're interesting by themselves while contributing to the personal growth of the protagonist and his understanding of the world.

Toby again has more reason than a nun. @sule, moreover, just defined it with a surgeon's precision. So, in the meantime, I would advise you to write other things until you reach the clarity and conceptual maturation that you need as a writer to tackle your orphan's story. I also think it would be good to differentiate between perseverance and obstinacy. In this case, perseverance means precisely looking elsewhere for Bramandin's growth as a writer. That is, in other simpler projects that do not require consuming so much time in broths of heads. But insisting on the story of the orphan at this point is like trying to build an ocean liner with a screwdriver. I don't think you're ready for such a big project yet. :ninja:

Yes, but each book of Harry Potter had its own story: "Harry has to stop someone from stealing the Philosopher's Stone," "Harry has to find out who's attacking students and stop them," "Harry wants to know why Sirius Black is after him," "Harry has to survive the Triwizard Tournament," - even though all of those books technically are "giving Harry something to do before the big showdown," they all have their own mini-arcs that occupy the reader's attention. There were hints at the overarching story, but each book had its own beginning, middle, and end that contributed in its own way to Harry's growth.

I would recommend you to analyze Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book. It's a bildungsroman, but it's structured like a short story collection - as each chapter is an episode in the life of the main character - while still building up to the confrontation at the end (and, like Harry, the MC has no knowledge of this coming confrontation until about 2/3rds of the way through the book). Each episode is its own story, with a beginning, middle, and end, so they're interesting by themselves while contributing to the personal growth of the protagonist and his understanding of the world.

$6 isn't bad so I ordered Graveyard Book; should be here next week or the one after.

I'm not against there being mini-arcs and plots B-G in my story, (side quests?) but those wouldn't fit into putting the plot into one sentence. I even had trouble putting the whole of Harry Potter into one sentence, but yours for each book sounds about right.

Treating my story as more of a collection of short stories sounds good. The first one would be the 7,500 words that I have. MC gets kidnapped and decides to cooperate with his kidnapper's wishes.

Thinking of it as a prologue and long-story, for the next section before I decide what to do next... I was trying to time-skip to Radley waking up on an average day a few weeks later, spend some time in that normal, and risk it by talking to Jacobi against his foster-father's wishes because he hasn't managed to make any other friends. That sounds like a decent short story. Some time after that, Radley could decide to try and learn magic, against the local belief that it's a bad idea for humans to seek that sort of power, because Jacobi convinces him that it is a false belief. Then I could have a story about Radley helping the shepherds deal with an infestation of carnivorous emu or something.

I was thinking about a book I once read, Follow My Leader, and this was in the early 90's so forgive me if I am remembering it completely wrong. Boy's friend accidentally throws a lit firecracker in his face and it blinds him. Then boy goes to a school to learn to be blind. Then boy comes home and realizes that his little sister is going to public school and wants to go too. Then he decides that he needs a dog and goes to dog school. Then his dog attacks the kid that blinded him and he has to show the dog that he forgives the kid. Then they go on a camping trip and the dog rescues them from being lost because they were complete idiots who somehow couldn't use their brains despite being boy scouts. I forget how it ends. Boiled down, that story would be "kid gets blinded, learns how to be blind, and gets a dog." Yes it's boring because it's a normal dog and not telepathic or really an animagus, an airplane is the most interesting place they go to, and the world isn't in mortal peril.

I also remember a story from the 80's where a paraplegic girl is fighting with her parents about buying her a waterbed when she wants a canopy bed. She eventually buys a canopy and a chandelier chain at a garage sale and hangs it from the ceiling above the waterbed. And there's a bit about them making spaghetti faces on their plates and putting mac & cheese on top, and something about her stacking oranges because she likes balancing things.

Yet another long post. Sorry.

I think I wrote 3-4 really bad novels before I started writing anything worth the effort. I look back on them now and feel they were juvenile. Yet, I don't regret writing any of them. It is all part of the process of learning your craft.

That said, part of that process is also learning when to stop. When I write, I try not to be derivative, so no elves, orcs or whatever, and I've written only one fanfiction short - as a joke. While I've tried to publish only a couple of my novels, I do have the better part of 18 of them, 14 of which are finished to at least a first draft stage, some second or third draft. I'm afraid I'm lazy. The two I tried to publish have fatal flaws, and I haven't gone back to them. Sometimes it isn't worth it until you have a solution.

I probably have even more abandoned novels - for a variety of reasons, and some are just on hold, or on the back burner until I sort out a problem. My first novel as Anne Martin sat for over 10 years before I finished the first draft a few months ago. I finished at least 5 others in between. FWIW, assuming a pen name/persona was a big step in my evolution as a writer.

You will learn by doing. Your first finished novel - you will love it, regardless of how good it is (or isn't). If you have the whole story in your head, go ahead and finish it, then move on. The more practice you have, the better you will get. Have people read them, if you dare, for comments, and take those comments on board. Be open to criticism. (You should be aware that some who write critiques will just be trying to prove they are better than you. Try to find the kernels of truth in what they write, and discard the bluster.) Write short stories as a studies if you need to, either to practice storytelling or world-building, or even just dialogue.

There is no shame in abandoning a project if it isn't working. I can't say whether you should abandon this one because I don't know what is in your head. Is there a plot there? Have you created a scaffold for it? Have you built your world? Many writers will sketch those, as well as each of their characters. I tend to keep them in my head, but when I have a lot of characters, I do have a separate character/world-building file that I refer to. On the other hand, some characters reveal their stories to me as I write. (I have a very good memory for details.)

I think the moral of what I am saying is to write a lot, keep writing, start something new if it isn't working or isn't YOU. (Some, like me, have to change who we are to move forward.) And of course, if you like what you have done, rewrite it until you are completely satisfied.

Toby again has more reason than a nun. @sule, moreover, just defined it with a surgeon's precision. So, in the meantime, I would advise you to write other things until you reach the clarity and conceptual maturation that you need as a writer to tackle your orphan's story. I also think it would be good to differentiate between perseverance and obstinacy. In this case, perseverance means precisely looking elsewhere for Bramandin's growth as a writer. That is, in other simpler projects that do not require consuming so much time in broths of heads. But insisting on the story of the orphan at this point is like trying to build an ocean liner with a screwdriver. I don't think you're ready for such a big project yet. :ninja:

Yeah, @sule put it in a way that was helpful. I can't figure out what you mean about @Toby having more patience than a nun. I entertained his suggested changes, which yeah I was ignoring the destination in favor of how to get there because I told that part earlier and elsewhere, but all this "you need a plot" stuff reminds me of an attitude I used to have. "I got to the end of the book and nothing happened. Sure this kid makes change for a rum-runner which causes him to lose the whole twenty when he tries to buy his brother shoes, but they never went to Narnia or found a magic tome or ran into an alien who needed help to save the planet."

Google is stumped about your "broths of heads" comment and so am I.

I thought that the orphan story was fairly simple, other than the worldbuilding part was a learning experience and ultimately I learned that I should do most of it on the fly. I'm fairly confident that I could change this story to being on planet Kansas where most of what's happening off-planet is ripped from obscure 90's sci-fi shows and not get slowed down much because of it.

Do you have a suggestion for simpler?

I have an idea about an archeology undergrad, precursors, and the "When Planets Align" trope, but unlike the other times I've seen that setup, the thingy that happens is anticlimactic... like maybe a time-capsule opens and it's full of the Atlantean equivalent to mood rings and platform boots. :p

There is no shame in abandoning a project if it isn't working. I can't say whether you should abandon this one because I don't know what is in your head. Is there a plot there? Have you created a scaffold for it? Have you built your world? Many writers will sketch those, as well as each of their characters. I tend to keep them in my head, but when I have a lot of characters, I do have a separate character/world-building file that I refer to. On the other hand, some characters reveal their stories to me as I write. (I have a very good memory for details.)

Were you aware that there is a well-known author Anne M Martin?

I could abandon this, but I don't think that will fix the issue because being bad will probably follow me into the next idea. I'm not afraid of being bad, but I'm tired of not making any progress away from it.

The fanfiction I abandoned before it was half of the length of the Harry Potter series before I gave up due to bad character chemistry and it was just wandering without a point for far longer than it should have. This time I know to have an ending planned and not to lock character personalities before I know how they'll interact.

The world is far more built than I need it to be, I'm not sure what you mean by scaffold, and I have the plot but no one believes me when I try to tell them so what format are you looking for?

Yet another long post. Sorry.

I think I wrote 3-4 really bad novels before I started writing anything worth the effort. I look back on them now and feel they were juvenile. Yet, I don't regret writing any of them. It is all part of the process of learning your craft.

I don't think those novels are bad; you just realize that they don't work, but that's another thing and, as you say, you discovered it as you wrote and improved your writing.

The fact is that in a creative process several things happen and they are all linked to each other; the brain of each person has a lot to do with all this, of course, and therefore it is recommended to have an open attitude. But, in any case, having a mind restless about learning does not guarantee anything either, since it is also true that some of us are slower than others to deduce some things. Which obviously also happens with our writing. It evolves as we practice it but it does so at the speed of each person. In addition, these supposed rules serve some more than others.

What can we do then?

We already know that reading a lot and everything, hopefully canonical works, is the other oar we need to advance as writers. It is even logical: if we think of the brain as a network of associative matrices, it will obviously create more connecting synapses the more rich ingredients (literary references that is) we provide. That is why I say works of the canon; no trash. Even in the Bible itself we have the case of Joseph of Egypt. Well, he's not an orphan, but he's an excellent example of bildungsroman anyway.

The point is that reading gives us bases for comparison. That is why as we write, and read, we begin to notice the cracks in our imaginary boats or finally we begin to develop certain techniques that allow us to say: "yes, this story works better than the other one" precisely because our ability of comparison is larger. And well, if someone says: "then, why aren't all librarians great writers?", well, the answer is very simple: because not all librarians write. Also, this is like chess: many of us know how to play it, obviously, but on the other hand, greatness is something else. That's where each person's own talent comes in. And yet people endowed with a great intellectual capacity, or a brain that seems to come with that mental agility already from the same factory, still do not take advantage of all that talent, perhaps because they are lazy or do not have enough determination to reach an objective.

Head broths is a Spanish expression. :pIt refers to when you give too much thought to an issue that doesn't really require that much analysis, perhaps because right now, rather than being stuck analyzing that story over and over again, what you really need is to keep writing. Remember the difference between perseverance and obsession. My impression is that, before undertaking the execution of a large project, you should first find your own narrative voice, because your characters are flat and without substance, your orphan seems more like a listless millennial than a being with the affective deficiencies and needs basic that orphans usually have, and the kidnapper does not seem like an abusive and despotic subject or at least alcoholic and vicious. So that's where character psychology fails. For other hand, in what I have read, the feeling of a white room remains. That is to say, that sense of wonder that as readers we should discover when entering a world that in theory is what you have most thought about history is not present either. For example, in Moby Dick, while Ismael walks through the port in search of an inn to spend the night, Melville even makes us feel the smell of the sea, the cold and the need for shelter (and therefore lack of protection), he opens the door to an exotic and strange world, but fascinating, it catches us from the first page precisely because there is present the narrative voice that usually exists in good canonical, universal and transcendent literature.

On the other hand, if instead of improving this story you just change it from the pot, which is basically what it will be if you turn it into a prologue, you take away the possibility of attracting the reader because we know that many simply ignore the prologues.

For me the real threat (plot?) should be the worgens and the goddess of luck should have some utility related to how many times she has saved travelers or something. In my opinion, your orphan should be as afraid of becoming a worgen's dinner as he is anxious to procure his own next meal.

But those decisions belong to you, obviously. :ninja:

Were you aware that there is a well-known author Anne M Martin?

I could abandon this, but I don't think that will fix the issue because being bad will probably follow me into the next idea. I'm not afraid of being bad, but I'm tired of not making any progress away from it.
The world is far more built than I need it to be, I'm not sure what you mean by scaffold, and I have the plot but no one believes me when I try to tell them so what format are you looking for?
I publish as Rebecca Anne Martin or in the case with my poetry, just Anne Martin.

If you think that being "bad" will follow you, try to finish the story, then rewrite until it is less bad, and ultimately good. It's all part of the process. My first 3 novels were each rewritten at least 3 times. I still don't think they are publishable, but I learned a lot in the process. I also didn't rewrite them right away. I let them sit while I was writing something else.

I try not to use the word bad. Anything can be fixed. You just need to know how to fix it, and that can take practice and time.

If your worldbuilding is too restrictive, back off a bit. My worlds evolve, and some of my stories have many worlds. I can't give each of them copious detail. As far as scaffolding goes, I mean that if you think of developing your plot like building a house. Certain parts of it are more important than others. Your main plot is the foundation, each scene is a room, and how the rooms fit together (subplots) is what keeps the house from falling down. Each of your subplots fits somewhere in that hierarchy, just like the dining room should be near the kitchen. You have main structural rooms, and you have less important rooms, i.e. hallways, closets. You could create a chart of your plots and subplots and how the arcs of each interact and flow through the story.

In my novel The Cult of Hahn, my main character goes back and forth between modern London and a medieval-like fantasy London. (Stephen R. Donaldson does something similar in his novels, except the real world plot is less important.) Each world has a plot line, and at a certain point, they overlap - the climax of the novel. Within that, there are alternating sections in each world, each with its own subplot, but all contributing to the arc of the main plot. Each of those sections breaks up into scenes (rooms) as the plot develops. It is a lot more complicated than that, but I hope you see what I mean.

To be honest, I didn't really sketch very much, but I wrote it in sections. Jumping to the ending when that came clear to me, and filling the main plot points in between, and then filling in between those points. I also have a separate file with all the characters listed as well as their importance. Worldbuilding was easy, since I lived in many of the places in the story. It was just a matter of converting them to the alternate universe.

Again, that is all something learned through practice.

On the other hand, if instead of improving this story you just change it from the pot, which is basically what it will be if you turn it into a prologue, you take away the possibility of attracting the reader because we know that many simply ignore the prologues.

I just looked up Harry Potter since it's been a while since I read it... Prologue but it's marked chapter one. I forgot it started with the Dursleys and I agree with that part being cut from the movie in favor of starting where Dumbledore and McGonigal are arguing. (I don't have time to read further right now, but I think the story properly begins when Harry is waking up years later.) Not that Harry Potter is fine literature, but I seem to have a thing for pop pulp. Really that's what I'm aiming for because my remaining expected lifespan is statistically a little more than a decade left and I'd rather be a pan-flash than try to be a classic when I don't have time to get that good. I accidentally picked up Mortal Engines before I knew they're making a movie, and then I should look into other books that have movie adaptations or tie-in merchandise. :p

Deep Blue has a prologue and I didn't get past the first page of chapter one after reading the prologue... Assuming a copy of the book that's missing the dust jacket, skipping the prologue means starting with someone waking up in the morning, wondering what monster she's worried about, and why the mother is swimming around because the description of mermaids was in the prologue. Why would someone just ignore part of the story that's been provided? It would be like someone who is completely ignorant of Marvel watching Avengers and complaining about all the baseless melodrama around Bruce when the movie-makers expected the audience to have some clue that he's Dr. Jekyll.

Anyway, the collection of short stories treatment with Graveyard Book sounds like it might fix my problem. I might also have a pile of old comic books around here somewhere.

I did the part where Radley was concerned about being eaten. Also his kidnapper is the nicest person he's met since his godfather died. I could go back and give more flesh to the setting, though I figure if I'm too loving on the details it might turn into uninteresting scenery-porn, so I'll adjust the balance. I was planning to do a bit more with the worgen later, and the luck goddess much later than that, but I'm not concerned with that part yet. Harry Potter has to eat snacks on the train and get sorted into his House before he learns that Voldemort is still a threat.

I also watched another video about roasting High Guardian Spice and got some more ideas on what not to do. I also got the idea that I could change the tone of my story to where Radley isn't that traumatized and instead is more towards a goofy anime hero. I have a Fighter, Mage, Thief trio between him and his elf friends and could neuter the worgen threat enough for them to be adventurers... nah, they play at being adventurers and the worse they face are carnivorous emu or normal geese.

Is change it from the pot anything like putting new wine into an old skin?

Luke 5:36-39 Good News Translation
Nor do you pour new wine into used wineskins, because the new wine will burst the skins, the wine will pour out, and the skins will be ruined. 38 Instead, new wine must be poured into fresh wineskins! 39 And you don't want new wine after drinking old wine. ‘The old is better,’ you say.”

Writing is like chiseling a statue out of marble. We have a big idea of what we think we're going to write, but as we work away at it, the story will reveal itself. As writers, we need to listen to our ideas, and let the story unfold before us. You might be surprised at what you come up with!:)

If your worldbuilding is too restrictive, back off a bit.

What I meant by how the world is far more built than I need it to be is that I could give a paragraph or two about some cultures/places that my MC will probably never hear about. Granted, some of them are recycled original content from my fanfiction and predate the project. Meanwhile I'm still trying to decide if the village he lives in has the ability to make light bulbs that are worth the trouble, though I did decide that if they have hydropower there's not enough for everyone to have lamps.

The structure is loosey-goosey right now, as in I won't have all of the pieces until I get there. It's like Minecraft (I haven't played in awhile so maybe this is incorrect now) where someone usually starts building their base without knowing what aesthetic resources they'll find later. I have some waypoints, but mostly it's just beginning, end, and I'm not sure what all is going to present itself in the middle. Apparently having an end is odd for a pantser. I could end up with a carbuncled house instead of something cohesive, but I don't think it's completely terrible for that to happen.

I rarely have an ending when I start. In fact, I often serialize my first draft on my WordPress site, although I write it in my Word doc first, so I might have some written ahead. I'm 89,000 words into my current novel, and I don't know how it ends yet. I have an idea, but it is the first of a series, and I haven't found the stopping point yet. You don't have to have it all figured out before you start, but that is what drafts are for.

I rarely have an ending when I start. In fact, I often serialize my first draft on my WordPress site, although I write it in my Word doc first, so I might have some written ahead. I'm 89,000 words into my current novel, and I don't know how it ends yet. I have an idea, but it is the first of a series, and I haven't found the stopping point yet. You don't have to have it all figured out before you start, but that is what drafts are for.

Is "you need a plot" accidentally one-true-way against pantsers? (I don't deal in absolutes. I regularly add dry flour to hot liquids without getting lumps even though you absolutely must wet your flour to avoid lumps when adding it to hot liquids to thicken them.)

Maybe I just don't actually know what a plot is.

Is "you need a plot" accidentally one-true-way against pantsers? (I don't deal in absolutes. I regularly add dry flour to hot liquids without getting lumps even though you absolutely must wet your flour to avoid lumps when adding it to hot liquids to thicken them.)

Maybe I just don't actually know what a plot is.
I don't think it's generally intended as a rule against being a pantser: it's litcrit advice about the result, rather than writing-workshop about the method. Or it could be both: Your Writers' Workshop May Vary!

If your Process is "I channel the characters' motivations and write wherever that takes me", or "I think myself into the inherent dynamic of the world", and write start-to-finish on that basis, and it works for you, that's great! But having done so, you should likely ask yourself, "does it in hindsight have a plot" -- or some other recognisable sort of structure, or at least, find it shoves the novel off a cliff in a way you find artistically appealing. And if not, you might need to change your approach, or be willing to heavily rework drafts accordingly.

If your Process is "I channel the characters' motivations and write wherever that takes me", or "I think myself into the inherent dynamic of the world", and write start-to-finish on that basis, and it works for you, that's great! But having done so, you should likely ask yourself, "does it in hindsight have a plot" -- or some other recognisable sort of structure, or at least, find it shoves the novel off a cliff in a way you find artistically appealing. And if not, you might need to change your approach, or be willing to heavily rework drafts accordingly.

Effectively. When everything depends on inspiration, on what happens at the moment, in fact anything can happen; but then we have the cases of writers who get blocked, get desperate because they discover that creating a story is not as easy as they thought or even let a certain expectation of quick success discourage them from continuing to write.

In this regard, I still think that the great fault lies with the word processing programs. I can even put a date on that problem: only in the mid-1990s did the personal computer become a massive reality throughout the world. Before that it was only in pencil and notepad or on the typewriter. But that itself meant that there was a kind of awareness of being a writer, of knowing what one was saying as a writer. That's where I think this belief of thinking before writing comes from and therefore we consider as writers the need to have an outline of our stories at least in its most basic lines.

Today, on the other hand, anyone has the opportunity to write whatever they like. But the rules of the game have not changed; only the tools did it, and that, I think, is what confuses so many new aspiring writers; there is a canonical literature for a reason or literature is taught, discussed and analyzed in universities and workshops. Instead, many believe that it is only a matter of writing and that's it; that is to say, they don't even read, and why talk about whether they care to study some literary theory. But it's not like that. Not even close. Or they look for some formula that guarantees immediate success. In my opinion, the advent of the word processor helped speed up the writing process, which is great; but it also frivolized literature itself. :ninja: