Word. "Do you want to save the changes you made"

Astro Pen

Write now.
Supporter
Closing a document I get this every time. It would be a good thing except that I haven't made any changes. I haven't even scrolled.
Just opened a doc to remind myself what it was.
It isn't an add on because I don't have any installed.
Anyone else suffer this irritating quirk? Better still, have a cure?

Are you using Onedrive (or possibly googledrive etc.)?
It seems to have started for me after I got my documents saving there. (Or possibly since I started using Office 365, which was about the same time.)
I don't think I get it when working on a tablet which is disconnected from the internet, which points to the same sort of idea.
And bizarrely, if I save the document myself, having made some changes it says nothing, but when I close the document immediately afterwards it asks the question. So I'm pretty sure it's all about mirroring the changed to the cloud.

I usually can scroll through without getting that prompt; however, if I click within the document itself then that seems to trigger whatever event that calls for that. Simple to ignore-as long as you are sure you didn't change anything.

Are you really sure:devilish:

Also do you have spelling and grammar checking turned on?
Worse yet do you allow it to auto correct?

Word 2002 to my hard drive so its all local.
@tinkerdan Just turned off auto correct and grammar. So not that :confused:

Just found it doesn't happen with all documents. So something in the individual templates perhaps?

Last edited:
Stuff written in different versions of Word can make this happen as well. Word wants to save old stuff in the newest format.

Stuff written in different versions of Word can make this happen as well. Word wants to save old stuff in the newest format.
Interesting, the original was written in word 2000 on my desktop. I'll check the save as options.

Are you using a different version of Word to the version that you are saving the file in?

You'll be able to tell, because when you're using a version of Word that's newer than the version used to create your document, you typically see "Compatibility Mode" in the title bar.

There may be nothing actually changed, or there may be some very minor formatting.

Edit: Sorry, I now see Swank already said this.