Prey - Disney+ - 2022 [Spoilers!]

Can you ask is the story about the mupitsl is real, and can she refer to it? I think there are more people than just me, who wants to know how it really goes.
I've emailed her. We'll see what she comes up with.

Reactions: ctg
@ctg Okay, so I received this. She hadn't seen the movie and I had told her Cherokee instead of Comanche. She is Cherokee and so sent me this, and then looked at the trailer and picked my error and later emailed me again:

----------

Aha, interesting. I need to watch the film through. Always fascinated how some want their 'fantasy worlds' to be somehow 'real'. LOL

Anyhow, the way I was taught - Cherokees have several 'monsters' as you might call them. The only ones which might come close to the fantasy Predator figure might be
1) Raven Mocker - a male monster appearing as an old, old man or sometimes invisible. Preys on the sick and dying, sitting on their heads and eating out their hearts. Whatever years they might have left are then added to its lifespan. Its far and away the scariest..
Then 2) would be the female monster Spearfinger who has one forefinger narrow and sharp with which she cuts out a person's liver and eats it. Preys mainly on children by making herself look like a relative. She is also stone-skinned and crushes rocks in her path and scatters all the wildlife, that's how you know she is near. She was the 'bogeyman' of my childhood, when I was told not to talk to strangers or stay out alone after dark because Spearfinger might be waiting for me. Bwah-ha-ha-hah!

We also have a Bigfoot - not actually malevolent, just reallllly grouchy, called Tsul'Kalu or giant devil, leaves his "footprint" as cleared spaces on the sides of mountains then named 'where its footprint is' .sometimes breathes fire and has slanted eyes and just wants to be left alone, if bothered becomes aggressive.

There are also a few shape shifters, a Deer Woman - my favorite, who is kind of like a siren, luring and destroying men who are abusive to women or children.
A couple of stone-skinned powerful sorcerer types, some immortals, 'little people', and beings that bring on storms, fires, and earthquakes

----------------

I see by the material the film is set among the Comanche, so my information on Cherokee may not fit. But, each tribe has its own creation mythologies and monsters. Mostly geared to fit their geographic location and the various dangers presented by the topography and climate. The Comanche did have some women warriors, but are patriarchal generally. Their name for themselves nemene means 'our people' but the name Comanche comes from the Ute tribe describing them as komantsia - those who want to fight us all the time. This much I do know.

-----------

So I didn't learn as much about the movie as I thought, but I did learn a little about Cherokee lore.

My opinion:

Unutterably poor film. No imagination, poor and uninspired choreography; unacceptable, unnecessary change to the creature design and poor use of the third party…

The only thing I enjoyed was counting how many Assassin’s Creed III references there were.

Waste of a great idea.

One of the better sequels in the Predator franchise, mainly due to the Commanche element. Hard to believe, though, that a technologically advanced race would not have found a better hunting ground in 300 years.

A question, how did the predator survive the bear fight?

Plot armour.

Prey ditches the hyper-masculinity, and the film’s hero, Naru (Amber Midthunder), has no need to journey back to any kind of mythical primordial past. She is a hunter in a culture where hunting is a core part of their way of life, and the tools Dutch has to resort to in the first film are already her stock in trade. It is not glamorized or exoticized; it is just how she lives.

One of the things I liked about the movie is that it was in a conversation with the original about masculinity / femininity.

Predator is not really about hyper-masculinity, so much as it's about the failure of hyper-masculinity. The terror of the Predator is that it is so OP that even the manliest of manly men are incapable of taking it on. Instead, Dutch has to rely on his wiles rather than his brawn.

In Prey, its about how women are under estimated. It's pretty on the nose about it, but it doesn't take the comic book route of making the female lead a perfect, arse kicking Mary Sue. She has trials, she fails, she has to be rescued, she watches, she learns, she uses her ingenuity. The last fight stretched the bounds of credulity for me, but this was a forgivable climax for a sci-fi movie. The idea that the Predator didn't take her out because it didn't think she was a threat, was very good.

I don't think it quite got under the skin of women as much as the first did men, but it was certainly in the right area, unlike the other sequels.

. The terror of the Predator is that it is so OP that even the manliest of manly men are incapable of taking it on. Instead, Dutch has to rely on his wiles rather than his brawn.
That is one way to see it, but the hunter isn't always beefed up, grizzly Mr Marboloro Man with fangs. They are different or should I say all the predators are individuals, but they share the hunt, because that's part of their culture. And the prey that best them isn't always one either, as it was showed in the Predator 2 and in the Predators.

I get that they are the uber monsters, but this one was showing other traits than just being OP character. And I wish they would allow time to explore predators in the Colonial Marines era, maybe even showing some of the other monstrous beasties that they hunt. I'd also think one set in the cyberpunk era, would be a nice one as well, because it would mean levelling the playfield at somewhat, but also darkening other things in the other.

Having a predator to do a hunt in alien, Sevastopol style space-station, would certainly be thrilling, because of the space, lack of oxygen or limited space would ramp up tension just like in the first Aliens movie.

That is one way to see it, but the hunter isn't always beefed up, grizzly Mr Marboloro Man with fangs. They are different or should I say all the predators are individuals, but they share the hunt, because that's part of their culture. And the prey that best them isn't always one either, as it was showed in the Predator 2 and in the Predators.

I get that they are the uber monsters, but this one was showing other traits than just being OP character. And I wish they would allow time to explore predators in the Colonial Marines era, maybe even showing some of the other monstrous beasties that they hunt. I'd also think one set in the cyberpunk era, would be a nice one as well, because it would mean levelling the playfield at somewhat, but also darkening other things in the other.

Having a predator to do a hunt in alien, Sevastopol style space-station, would certainly be thrilling, because of the space, lack of oxygen or limited space would ramp up tension just like in the first Aliens movie.
They took a couple of faltering steps toward giving the Predators more formidable adversaries when they pitted them against Alien Xenomorphs. Apparently, fans are happiest when the films depict an inventive human overcoming enormous technological odds.