Favorite Lost in Space Scene

TomMazanec

Any series/movie
Mine is from the original. Now, I was born in 1958. LIS was my introduction to SFF (I watched things like Astroboy, but he was a robot the way Bugs was a rabbit). I realized that this "Four days in Space" missions might lead to something real. But my favorite scene was the one where Wally Cox was the ETI. Bill calls him an 'alien'. Wally replies "I'm not an alien, this is my home planet. You're the aliens!". I remember thinking "OF COURSE!".

I think my favorite is when Robby the Robot encounters the Lost in Space robot given the shared design history.

Duh I forgot about that one!
I had a model kit of it.

The one about the frozen dog I remembered too.

Duh I forgot about that one!
I had a model kit of it.

The one about the frozen dog I remembered too.

The crash of the Jupiter 2. That too still impresses. :cool:

Any involving Dr.Smith and the robot. Other than Baldrick from Blackadder 1, I don't know of any character who has changed quite so drastically from their original appearance. "You nickel-plate nincompoop!" His array of insults for the robot where a delight to watch, and sometimes the robot gave back as good as he got.

I LOVE Lost in Space. Watched it in the 60s. So, all of the above (Smith/Robot/Will scenes were always the best). I have so many images/scenes flash through my mind, when considering this series. Here are a few of my all-time faves:

“Crush, Kill, Destroy!” Those androids! The larger ones were so menacing.
~

There’s one scene where Will, I think, has been kidnapped by an alien, and is on its ship. (Huge, open space... dark background, lots of bric-a-brac that must be negotiated, to move around.) The alien (for nefarious reasons) tempts Will to leave his family, offers to send him back to his own time, and home town, on Earth. It leads him to some device- wall panel, giant TV screen? - that shows Will, in real-time, scenes of everyday life in that home town, as part of the temptation. Will is moved, tempted. (Not sure I have all the details correct.) I recall it as being very poignant.
~

From the first season (I think… it was black and white, and before the Robinsons crash-landed): there is an alien siren who lives in space (great make-up, great - I think - aluminum-like, shiny costume, with some cool headgear) who floats to the ship’s portholes and calls to Smith… coos at him, can’t quite remember. And Smith is tempted to open the ship to her.
~

The long shots of the giant cyclops-creature menacing the glass-shelled travel buggy.
~

The scene on-planet where all of the animals escape from the alien zoo ship.

So many more. I've had the series on DVD for probably ten years without watching it again... might just have remedy that. I always thought this was a visually striking series. Great thread!

How about the one where Will’s father is about to push Will off a bottomless cliff. Will asks to see his father’s face one last time. The possessed mask is removed and Will says he loves him. And John takes the mask and, to cries of ‘NOOOO…’ throws it down to the planet’s core!

Having nearly finished s1 on PRIME, I think the funniest scene is where the giant spider was atop the chariot trying to reach the tasty tidbits inside it. The book I am reading says the Spider originated in VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA; but, anyway, its legs were so skinny- no way even all 8 of them could support its weight.
:LOL:

But, on the other hand, DR. Smith saying something about having a lovely contract for IDAK to sign, was also very funny.

So, anyway, the book says that Jonathan Harris was desperately trying to prolong his employment, & realizing that being a villain would not likely achieve his goal. So be cowardly, greedy, & lazy, instead. He was constantly making suggestions on adding dialog to the script.

Having nearly finished s1 on PRIME, I think the funniest scene is where the giant spider was atop the chariot trying to reach the tasty tidbits inside it. The book I am reading says the Spider originated in VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA; but, anyway, its legs were so skinny- no way even all 8 of them could support its weight.
:LOL:

Irwin Allen loved to reuse poses to save money on production . It makes for incurable y funny scene. :)

But, on the other hand, DR. Smith saying something about having a lovely contract for IDAK to sign, was also very funny.

So, anyway, the book says that Jonathan Harris was desperately trying to prolong his employment, & realizing that being a villain would not likely achieve his goal. So be cowardly, greedy, & lazy, instead. He was constantly making suggestions on adding dialog to the script.

All he really had to do simply become less of a villain.

All he really had to do simply become less of a villain.
I am not sure that would have kept him employed. The book, 1st volume, anyway, says he was likened to Long John Silver, a rogue, yes, but with a heart for the young boy. Something like that. He had to be a liability, at the very least.

I am not sure that would have kept him employed. The book, 1st volume, anyway, says he was likened to Long John Silver, a rogue, yes, but with a heart for the young boy. Something like that. He had to be a liability, at the very least.

A likable rogue . :cool:

Any involving Dr.Smith and the robot. Other than Baldrick from Blackadder 1, I don't know of any character who has changed quite so drastically from their original appearance. "You nickel-plate nincompoop!" His array of insults for the robot where a delight to watch, and sometimes the robot gave back as good as he got.
Dr. Smith insults are my favorites too. Take a look at this.
https://irwinallen.fandom.com/wiki/Dr._Smith's_Insults

I was always amused by his "Never fear, Smith is here" whenever they were trying to solve the simplest problems.

And the way he interacted with Will and assumed he was intellectually superior - he was "assisting" Will in one episode with a history assessment, they were arguing over the year that Columbus found America:-

Will: "In fourteen hundred and ninety two, Columbus sailed the ocean blue" - so it was 1492"
Dr Smith: "Nonsense dear boy, the verse is "in fourteen hundred and ninety three, Columbus sailed the deep blue sea" so therefore it was 1493"

For some reason that short scene has stayed in my mind for like 55 plus years!

Back