Nichelle Nichols

farntfar

I didn't so much fly...,as plummet.
Another one? How come so many heroes age going right now.
Bye Bye Nichelle Nichols. We loved you for so long.

Montero

Supporter
Also on BBC News

I always particularly liked her character. In some of the spin-off books they make even more of Uhura and bring out a lot of the linguistics.

Read her autobiography some years back and that was interesting with some bits that were really sad.

kythe

Supporter
She lived a long, productive life and influenced many due to her role in Star Trek. She was an essential part of Star Trek's utopian vision of the future. Rest in peace, Lt. Uhura.

Mr Cairo

DREDD do you Require Backup? ........ No
Possibly my very first space crush, this was very sad to hear on the morning news, this is the loss of a beautiful and inspiring woman, it does seem to be natural causes so no illness just a long life and a quiet passing R.I.P. :(

Doesn't this only leave Shatner as the last of the original crew still alive?

mosaix

Shropshire, U.K.
Supporter
R.I.P

Can’t believe she was 89. As is often the case, the enduring image we have of film and TV stars is the one we last saw on the screen. For me, she’s still in her 30s.

Mr Cairo

DREDD do you Require Backup? ........ No
George Takei is still with us... and he was quoted this morning on the radio about Nichelle Nichols's death.

Yeah after asking I went off and had a google, for some reason I thought he had passed away during the Covid lockdown.

Parson

This world is not my home
Supporter
Proving that I'm a white male, it really shocked me the number of people who found her to be a real inspiration. I just thought it was normal as could be for a black woman to be part of a star ship crew. She will be missed for sure.

Danny McG

But even the devil can't fool a dog
FB_IMG_1659503768490.jpg

Droflet

I don't teach chickens how to dance.
Danny, I have no idea where you got this from but it's absolutely perfect. Well done, sir.

Stephen Palmer

author of novels
RIP.
She was going to drop out of ST at the end of the first series, but Martin Luther King said she should continue because of her effect on civil rights and related issues. That's what is meant by her huge influence.

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
Supporter
The power of representation is really important. It's not something i appreciated until recently.