Sequels you'd like to read but we'll never get

I wouldn't object to a prequel or sequel to Clive Barker's Weaveworld.

I adore Greg Bear's Forge of God and Anvil of the Stars. I did read somewhere that he planned to write a third. No sign of it yet, but i'f like that sequel very much.

I'd like a sequel to Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell although I feel it's probably unlikely since Susanna Clarke seems to have decided writing it was too daunting.
Also I think Bujold has said she's retired apart from novellas? Or maybe I'm misremembering summat.
I remember her saying that she was 'semi-retired' in the sense that she didn't want to commit to any more publishing contracts so was just writing when she felt like it. She does seem to be favouring novellas during this period, The Assassins of Thessalon was a novel but I think that was because it ended up being longer than she originally planned.

I'd like a sequel to Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell although I feel it's probably unlikely since Susanna Clarke seems to have decided writing it was too daunting.

I remember her saying that she was 'semi-retired' in the sense that she didn't want to commit to any more publishing contracts so was just writing when she felt like it. She does seem to be favouring novellas during this period, The Assassins of Thessalon was a novel but I think that was because it ended up being longer than she originally planned.

So that's the way of it. Many thanks!

In any case, I'd have liked

Gemmell to have written a war of the twins, and a sequel to Knights of Dark Renown in the land of the Vyre.

Jordan to have written Mat and Tuon stories

GGK to return to Fionavar and Tigana

Part of me wishes someone would have a go at writing a sequel to Lord of the Rings. I would probably buy and read it for curiosity's sake if nothing else. Much of the near future has already been laid out by JRR Tolkien, so it would be a case of filling in the blanks , and elaborating on the details.

Another part of me hopes that this will never happen. No one could - or should try to emulate the master.

But I think that at some point, either in the form of a book or tv/film series it will.

Thought of another one I'd like, Up Against It by Laura J. Mixon (originally published under the name MJ Locke).

2011 novel, recently reissued (2022). Author's blog mentions a sequel in the works (!) but up to now I'd have put it in this category...

A sequel to "trials by wilderness" by David Mathieson. Was one of my top three favourite books as a child, and always hoped he'd write a sequel. But alas it seems this was the only book he ever wrote. Sadly. :/

There was a book called "The Ring of Charon" by Roger MacBride Allen, which I read in the early '90s. It was supposed to be the start of a series, and it was a stunningly ambitious piece of work. A couple of centuries in the future, an experiment on Pluto's moon accidentally triggers dormant alien machinery, which ganks Earth away through a wormhole and starts disassembling the rest of the (inhabited) Solar System. Apparently one further volume was published a few years later, but it was never available in the UK, and the series has been missing in action ever since.

I don't know when the FAQ was from, but Tamora Pierce said that Scholastic owns Circle of Magic and while she owes them another book, they're not interested.

Id like a sequel story to All The Way Back by Michael Shaara

Thought of another one I'd like, Up Against It by Laura J. Mixon (originally published under the name MJ Locke).

2011 novel, recently reissued (2022). Author's blog mentions a sequel in the works (!) but up to now I'd have put it in this category...
I listened to an episode of the "Functional Nerds" podcast with Mixon as guest, promoting the recent reissue.

In the episode, Mixon mentions that the novel is intended to be the first of a trilogy, but that no one has seen any of the material for the sequels yet. Episode was released about a month ago, so it seems active work is being done for the sequel.

They discuss a lot of plot elements for Up Against It in the episode, so don't listen if you don't like spoilers.