Sequels you'd like to read but we'll never get

tachyon

A lot of people are waiting impatiently for GRRM or Rothfuss to finish the next books in their respective series, in theory they'll get those done and published, and I think most people expect they'll be available eventually.

What's a sequel you'd like to read that, for whatever reason, is never likely to be published?

I was recently thinking about the novel Vita Nostra by Marina Dyachenko and Dyachenko, translated by Julia Meitov Hersey. Originally published in Ukraine, translated from Russian and published in English a few years ago. I believe there's an untranslated sequel but I don't know that it will ever be available in English.

This reminded me of Ninth City Burning by J Patrick Black (which I've written a bit about here). Published in 2016, sequel was due out in 2019, author has been silent on social media since 2019... not sure what's happening with this but I'm not expecting the sequel anytime soon.

Any lost sequels you wish were available?

This is a good thread idea, though it sounds somewhat familiar to some I’ve seen before. I’ll suggest something I know others would also suggest: the final Titus Groan book by Peake, Titus Awakes.

And, of course, the final (7th) Dune book.

I saw the title of this thread and was going to mention Peake!

Currently reading my way through Game of Thrones, almost done with book 3. @George if you're reading this, ill be ready for book 6 in about a month or so.

There's a part of me that wishes that Ken McLeod would continue with Iain M. Banks's "Culture" books. Purely for selfish reasons and i totally understand why he wouldn't. But still...

Last edited:
All Pratchett for me would love a sequel to Raising Steam (Moist Von Lipwig), Snuff (The watch) and Thief of time (Death)

Also would love to have another witch book that wasn't revolving around Tiffany Aching that dealt with the loss of Granny

This is a good thread idea, though it sounds somewhat familiar to some I’ve seen before. I’ll suggest something I know others would also suggest: the final Titus Groan book by Peake, Titus Awakes.

And, of course, the final (7th) Dune book.
Yeah, but:
1658507210778.png

I think only the first couple of pages are written by Peake, and the rest by his widow, but this is well worth a look. Maeve was on the same wavelength as Merv.

Back in the 90’s, Metropolitan and City On Fire by Walter Jon Williams felt like the first parts of a trilogy. Still waiting, and although the conclusion is apparently a WIP, well...

Last edited:
I'd like to see at least a sequel to The Apocalypse Troll or In Fury Born by David Weber. I always thought that these were very good and original stories which begged to be continued. I believe In Fury Born has a longer treatment but a quick search doesn't reveal one. I'd have loved to trade Hell's Gate books for a series of either of these. But due to age (and I suspect flagging ambition) I doubt we'll see either of them.

Please, please, let Nixie not see this thread. (Pixie-Queen I have A Plan. As cunning as a fox. Which involves me losing lots of money if I don’t write it)

Oh and I’d love another Miles Vorkosigan book but I fear it was left in such a jaw-drop place she won’t go back to him)

Please, please, let Nixie not see this thread. (Pixie-Queen I have A Plan. As cunning as a fox. Which involves me losing lots of money if I don’t write it)

Oh and I’d love another Miles Vorkosigan book but I fear it was left in such a jaw-drop place she won’t go back to him)

Why don't you want @nixie to see this thread? :p

Also I think Bujold has said she's retired apart from novellas? Or maybe I'm misremembering summat.

Also I think Bujold has said she's retired apart from novellas? Or maybe I'm misremembering summat.
A complete random guess?
IC, Jo seems to think I'm angling for a sequel, just because I said in passing all other projects should be put on hold she thinks I'm obsessed.

Nothing wrong with demanding it should have been prioritised before Wildest Hunt and Under a Blood red Sky.;)

Noooooo! (To Bujold. But I’d totally take a Miles novella - they’re always great)

@nixie - you are right. People actually want to buy the sodding thing. I‘m blaming Henry. The rest are having a ball... all joking aside, I‚m going to see if I can get some funding for some time to work on it and some mentoring to help with the bits that are stuck.

The Splendor and Misery of Bodies, of Cities was supposed to be the second part of a diptych by Samuel R. Delany. The first book, Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand came out in 1984.

All editions of Stars contain an author's note stating that it is the first half of a diptych, the second half of which is the novel The Splendor and Misery of Bodies, of Cities.

. . .

Splendor is unfinished, and is unlikely to ever be finished. Delany has stated two reasons for this in various writings and public appearances. First, much of the creative impetus for Stars came from his relationship with his then-partner, Frank Romeo (to whom the novel is dedicated); this relationship ended soon after the novel was published, removing much of Delany's creative energy related to the project. Second, the novel was published just as AIDS was becoming an epidemic in the gay culture Delany was immersed in, and he found it difficult to continue to write about a setting which mirrored the sexual scene that gave rise to an epidemic that caused the deaths of many people close to him.

The 4th book of the Hellsgate series by David Weber may be in that list.

Screenshot_20220722-204502.jpg