The Orville - 3.08: Midnight Blue

ctg

weaver of the unseen
xFUR3VB.jpg

The Orville crew visits Heveena's sanctuary world.
Runtime: 87 minutes.

It's strange how well written and presented Classical SF can be so soothing and entertaining for the viewer. It might be especially so for us who grew up with the classical stuff instead of more realistic SF that we have seen in recent years. Maybe it is that the Hard SF suggests that the reality is much harsher than anything shown in the classical genre pieces.

I know I personally always gravitate towards harder stuff, but I also almost always feel relaxed and intrigued by the concepts of the classical SF. Seth most certainly has made a big change by stripping the comedy and being more professional, even though the comedy was still mostly working. Thing is, it's still there, hidden under layers of references and story threads, and it feels that as these episodes were rewritten, critiqued and edited to death to make it the best there is, and it shows.

I have no idea what the viewership numbers are, but I hope they don't matter as the Orville deserves another season, and for Seth to sit on his hands to prevent him from making a sister series. This is good enough for a long run.

NJRoo12.jpg

Like everything in this season seems to be connected to either the old episode or new concepts, it is not a surprise that the second-long episode is revolving around Topa. After all, the first Topa one made quite a bit of writing happening in various places. And in this one, it is not a surprise that Topa has found boys as an interest in her new life.

It made me laugh that Bortus found the whole thing a bit too much for him to handle it alone and he needed Kelly's help. Not that Kelly is the most perfect example for the secrets of the womanhood, as there are many things that she regrets in her wild past. Then again, maybe that is the reason why she's a the perfect one to solve Topa's problem and offer her some wisdom.

I know from my personal experience that giving wisdom to teen boys usually goes to waste. I've seen it happening in the rebellious ladies. And yet, Topa doesn't strike me as a wild one. Instead, she comes out as quite reserved.

What we didn't know was that her love interest was Gordon. So it was a comedy gold when she walked in the engineer in the middle of boys talking shop, and asked him out for a dinner. As a male I know all the million thoughts that went in my head and I shouted at the screen, "No, it ain't gonna happen lady, cause Gordon's an old guy, and you need a hot young one."

It's just I have a younger cousin, who's now a pregnant to much older guy than what she is, and I've maintained the image of her as the young one. But it's her business. Not mine. I married a ten year older woman than what I was, so who am I to tell her no. I'm also glad that Gordon put up his hand, but the guy banter was absolute comedy cold. :LOL:

vTt0SL3.jpg

The Union Admiralty thought that it was the best decision to send in the crew to do an inspection on the female Moclan colony, after they'd almost caused a rift in the diplomatic relationship between the interstellar societies. What could go wrong, especially when they specially ordered Kelly and Bortus to be the inspectors?

It is as if they want to rub some salt into the face of Moclan people. To show who's the boss in the relationship, instead of doing the best diplomacy in the name of the Union.

While Bortus prepared himself to fight for their lives, Topa walked in and popped the "can you take me to your work," question without even thinking about the stresses' dad's goes through in days like those. Men are simple creatures. Mostly protectors, when it comes to the family issues.

It was not a surprise that Kelly intervened in the process and put Bortus in a "right place," even though he too had valid reasons for leaving Topa in the ship. All I could do was to join Bortus in the long sigh.

NDWUVA6.jpg

It was intriguing and somewhat puzzling to see that Moclan females had modelled their society around nature values, while the Moclan males are more machine oriented. All huddling together in a village, even though they've access to higher technology.

The most interesting thing was Heveene's interest with Dolly Parton. Especially as she had made her their societies' idol and made her ideology to be their revolution. It made me smile when the old lady made her move and suggested Topa to be her grand revolutionary, due to her unique position of going through the sex change, and being in the centre of interstellar diplomatic mess.

"... if we would have access to a Union starship with advanced communication," the old lady claimed. "We could save so many more females, with greater speed. But we would need someone on board..."

Topa just swallowed the hook with line and sinker without ever asking why she was put into an espionage position. I bet Heveena knew that she was making Topa her soldier - for the cause - without giving the young lady a warning about what could happen, if she got caught on aiding the other Moclan females.

RaDrsyh.jpg

I'm blaming the old lady for telling Topa that the blue illuminates were very rare. If she's kept her mouth shut about it, the young lady would not have followed the insect straight into the trap and got flown off-world, and back into the heart of interstellar diplomatic crisis.

Not that it ever really got a chance to get into that point as Kelly and Bortus chose to chase the kidnappers. The captain weren't really happy about what had happened, especially when he learned that Heveleena had recruited a child into her conspiracy network.

He barked, "How could you put her in that position? She's a child!"

Heveleena stood up and hissed back, "She is also a victim of Moclan bigotary! I gave Top the opportunity to protect her life as a female and to protect the lives of all the others! It was her choise..."

Understandably, the Captain went nuts. "What the h*ll did you expect her to say?! She worships you! She would do anything to please you, of course she's gonna say yes!"

The old lady squinted her eyes and growled, "I am as concerned about her health as you are, captain. But I do not regret enlisting her help. Our struggle for equality has always demanded risk and, in necessary, sacrifice!"

Oh man, the look on the captain's face matched mine, but his hands were tied by the protocol and his position, while the old lady just had done her deed with no regret. Any rare gem for the cause. No second thoughts.

xSwU3h0.jpg

Captain's solution for Heveena problem. Man, Dolly is so tiny but I loved that she used her stories to educate the old lady, in unique southern style, by singing.

Not that it immediately helped, as soon as Topa's kidnappers had landed, she was put into interrogation. The young lady denied everything and therefore, she was put through a torture to reveal the Moclan contact.

It was a perfect twist to raise up tension as the angry daddy and Kelly were next to arrive at the secret moon base, while the Captain took her into the Council meet that somewhat reminded me of the UN sessions. In other words, it's just a club where people go to have a chat.

It was up to Kelly and Bortus to do the rescue mission. I'm also glad that Kelly confessed on the bad idea. But Bortus letting off steam on the torturer was bigger satisfaction. I just can't understand why Kelly stopped Bortus from killing the geezer?

It felt good when Bortus let out that anger in front of the Council meeting, while airing all the sh!t that had happened. The result, a messy divorce with Moclus and Klyden's return to Orville.

At least the man had learned his lessons and he asked for forgiveness. He's better now.

Not my favorite episode.
Last week, the stories competed for attention, This week, one story took center stage and stayed there.
Gender discrimination is an important issue, but I had begun to think that Moclus was created solely to focus on the problem. I had feared that the all-female colony was going to be exposed as a society that demeaned males and kept them in the background performing servile tasks.
If the colony had kept the agreement with the homeworld and added no newborn females to the population, wouldn't it have eventually died out? I suppose, if Bortus and Klyden could reproduce, female Moclans might be able to manage the same trick. Then, if Klyden were not a transgender female, would he have been capable of laying an egg?
Anyway, now that the Moclans have been tossed out of the Union, maybe the show can move on to topics like ending warfare.
Klyden's return was unexpected. Bortus and Kelly seemed to have a moment, which made me think another shipboard romance might have been budding.

Klyden's return was unexpected. Bortus and Kelly seemed to have a moment, which made me think another shipboard romance might have been budding.
Loveboat, as I said a couple of reviews earlier. Even the previous one could have fitted in it. To me, bigger surprise was Moclan's withdrawal. I don't know if Seth will use it or if he'll abandon them and focus on the females, as it has been a theme throughout this season.

Not ****** Beggar's Canyon on Tatooine again, I did think, then I remembered that this isn't one of those Disney+ shows, even if they do have Jon Favreau as a consultant!

I do agree that this is easily the best SF on TV right now, however, the bar isn't being set particularly high at the moment. There are a good many derivative things in this episode - I mean, not that old, 'shoot them up the exhaust port' ploy again - but there were many good things too. The attack on the secret Moclan detention base to save the young girl was much better implemented than Obi-Wan Kenobi's similar action. There was no hiding under big cloaks, there was real torture, and the Moclan guards were good shots, they were just outwitted by cleverer attackers. The Moclan seem to have a weakness when hit in the centre of the back though, that makes them fall down unconscious.

The shuttle had to make a very rough take-off because its launch thrusters were sabotaged, so how did it make a precise landing later? Then it makes another rough take-off after Kelly informs us that the launch thrusters were still down. Who could have fixed them? Do they have thruster fairies who fix them when you aren't looking?

When Topa had a crush on Gordon, I was expecting a very different story. Then we had the planet inspection. Then with the kidnapping it went off in another totally unexpected way. To me anyway.

Gender discrimination is an important issue, but
I did think that this particular theme has gone on for much too long and taken up way too much time, but I thought that this episode actually moved this story arc on a great deal, and now has had some real closure on it, with Klyden's return and the Moclan expulsion from the Union. So, my attitude changed, as long as we don't see the Moclan again for a long time.

Not my favorite episode.
But it had Dolly Parton in it!!! ;)

I mean Star Trek: TNG had Stephen Hawking as a guest, but The Orville has Dolly Parton! No comparison surely?

I think that rather than blame Heveena for enlisting Topa, or Kelly for persuading Bortas to take Topa, we really need to look at the continued poor performance of Admiral Halsey here. He knows that Ed and Kelly are insubordinate, and he is aware that the Orville has a previous problem with the Moclan, and that it even has a Moclan female on board. What does he expect will happen when this ship is sent? He should never have allowed Topa to visit the surface or to meet with the Moclan observers. And what on Earth was mouthy Gordon doing being present at that diplomatic meeting? This Admiral has been shown to be totally ineffectual in the past. Ed Mercer get's away with whatever he likes. Why is Halsey still in position?

To play the Devil's advocate here, what positives were achieved by this mission? The Moclan's (a very strong ally against the Kaylon) have been removed from the Union, and it will also now be impossible for Heveena to smuggle out any more girls from Moclan. This is actually a win-win for the Moclans.

The shuttle had to make a very rough take-off because its launch thrusters were sabotaged, so how did it make a precise landing later? Then it makes another rough take-off after Kelly informs us that the launch thrusters were still down. Who could have fixed them? Do they have thruster fairies who fix them when you aren't looking?
I thought that they'd enough of time to solve the issues, while they were in the transit. They didn't bother showing exosuit activity or them fixing it, but it really didn't bother me. What bothered me, but I didn't voice, was the transit time from the prison moon to super conveniently being there at the crucial moments in the council meeting. The shuttles doesn't have quantum engines, do they?

we really need to look at the continued poor performance of Admiral Halsey here. He knows that Ed and Kelly are insubordinate, and he is aware that the Orville has a previous problem with the Moclan, and that it even has a Moclan female on board. What does he expect will happen when this ship is sent? He should never have allowed Topa to visit the surface or to meet with the Moclan observers. And what on Earth was mouthy Gordon doing being present at that diplomatic meeting? This Admiral has been shown to be totally ineffectual in the past. Ed Mercer get's away with whatever he likes. Why is Halsey still in position?
That is a very good question. He must have a serious pull on being centre of some many controversial topics, but more so Ed seems to be able to have a diplomatic immunity for being able to stay as a captain, even though he's reputation at the moment is that he'll end in crises, wherever he takes the Orville.

It is quite surprising that for a man that most certainly would get named in the interstellar media, he's never shown being part of it. Instead, it is as if the Orville and the Union admiralty is somehow shielded from all the inflaming things.

We know the Expanse did that side of things marvellously, and it added up in the show. It's just in this one, nothing like it happens, even though it is hinted that the whole Union is speaking about it, and there is interstellar media. In that context, it is surprising that Topa has not received fan mail from Union citizens or anything like it, even though in this one it was clearly implicated that she had received more than fifteen minutes of fame. Admiral Halsey is in the same slot, and yet, it is always that he acts like a story device. Not like a character.