(Found) Help in retrieving this novel

marcususus

I've read a novel/short story when I was a kid about a human archeologist on mars, looking for past evidence of life, going thu the findings of a place pertaining to it then slowly transmorphing himsel into a martian upon that time, ending in, if my memories don't fail me, him taking a sun bath on some rock, his body changed to sustain the environment.

It was published I think in some 70' SF anthology. Does this plot rings any bell ?

I think I read something similar. Unless it was The Martian Chronicles, which I'm not sure I read...

Maybe

Mutants: Eleven stories of science fiction Hardcover – January 1, 1974​

Robert Silverberg

Because it feels like a Twilight Zone episode, and that's a book that might have cross-wired the memories.

How old a kid were you? There was a similar story with, uh, adult leanings... don't remember exactly when.

Hi,

Something about this rings a bell but I'm not sure why. Could it be a part of the Martian Chronicles?

Cheers, Greg.
Some similarities, esp. the story Dark They Were and Golden Eyed, IIRC, but not quite. Enchanted Village is a better fit.

I vote for Van Vogt's "Enchanted Village".

"I've won!" thought Jenner. "The village has found a way!"

Ecstatically Jenner wriggled his four-foot tail and lifted his long snout to let the thin streams of liquid wash away the food impurities that clung to his sharp teeth.

Then he waddled out to bask in the sun and listen to the timeless music.

At first I also thought of the martian chronicles but as I have the mini series on my NAS, it was easy to dismiss it.

Yep I think that's it even if I didn't remember the errants after a spaceship crash but oddly the name jenner and the 'talks' to the vilalge rang a bell.
I was reading a lot of amazing stories in compilation books here in france (I'm from pAris) like anthologies of SF and such, full of novels/shorts from van vogt, sheckley, asimov, silverberg, lieber, bradbury, young, so many of these masters of SF. I used to read them in the late 60' when I was 12, 13. I even had the surprise/pleasure to discover on youtube the adaptation of vonnegut's Harrison Bergeron.

An enormous thanks to you all for your help.

Now, on to the worst part : write. ;.)

Last edited:
I was reading a lot of amazing stories in compilation books here in france (I'm from pAris) like anthologies of SF and such, full of novels/shorts from van vogt, sheckley, asimov, silverberg, lieber, bradbury, young, so many of these masters of SF. I used to read them in the late 60' when I was 12, 13.

Dans une de ces peut être?