DISCUSSION THREAD -- July 2022 -- 300 Word Writing Challenge #46

@AnRoinnUltra .... A kick in the Tabernackle .... The Good Book says "The race is not always to the swift." and this story proves it. Literally? metaphorically?

@VRlass .... Something new .... Something new is shown in something old, something sinister, something heart breaking, and of course something very cold.

And it was well done.

"Family Friendly Forum" largely means explicit sexual scenes and profane language. But either of those can be alluded to.

Parson was reminded that he forgot a couple of stories from earlier. He's embarrassed and he's apologizes to both @Cat's Cradle and @BigJ for not getting to them in order.

@Cat's Cradle .... Chalky .... this story gives us a chilling vision of what street magic can be when vengeance is the catalyst.

@BigJ .... If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face . . . .... This story shows us the peace that comes from walking toward the eternal light.

@Aknot .... Another Day On The Job .... This story reminds us that beauty is only skin deep but danger is found at the root of things.

@Christine Wheelwright .... Diplomatic Failings .... This story points us to a truth that is axiomatic, humans can do the dumbest things imaginable, especially if they are hungry.

@johnnyjet .... Fungal Dreams .... This story reminds us that a lot of the most dangerous things are ignored until it's too late.

I discovered the Muse making pancakes in the kitchen a week ago. In exchange, it gave me four ideas. I chose the fourth one.
Great Galaxy! I posted this here instead of the 75.

Screenshot 2022-07-19 10.36.20 AM.png

@leorising .... Untitled .... A story about grace and lessons learned and how precious both of them are.

@BT Jones .... A Kind of Immortality .... A story which reminds us of the sacrifices and opportunities which come to those who are able to live in the time dilation.

Peter V: This imaginative story manages the difficult task of incorporating mystical elements into a science fiction setting in a fully believable fashion. The mystery surrounding the central event of the plot heightens the emotional impact.

Guttersnipe: In this satiric look at society's ever-present obsession with psychoactive substances we find both the appeal and the danger of escape from mundane reality. The author forces the reader to ponder the reason for this need for something beyond our ordinary sensations.

THX1138: The matter-of-fact tone of this adventure into the extraordinary makes its fantastic premise seem very real. The calm mood of the characters heightens the impact of the startling climax.

JS Wiig: A sense of the vital nature of the mission depicted in this futuristic tale fills its vivid narrative. The author provides a sobering portrait of those who must struggle to complete a seemingly impossible task.

AnRoinnUltra: The unique structure and exotic content of this fast-paced account of a very different world aptly fits its unusual setting and premise. The reader is plunged into a place never before known.

VRlass: The quiet tone of this tragic tale is far more effective at conveying its heartbreaking plot than any amount of melodrama could be. To face the worst imaginable outcome with dignity, as the protagonist does, is a source of inspiration.

Aknot: The deliberately old-fashioned setting of this intense science fiction thriller serves to makes its hardboiled narrator an iconic figure. The author refuses to romanticize what is more properly seen as a harsh imaginary environment.

Christine Wheelwright: The carefully constructed background of this story of classic space exploration serves as the perfect background for the sting in its tail. Beyond the droll wit of the resolution lies the serious point that we always have trouble comprehending the other.

johnnyjet
: The relentless pace of this exciting space adventure pulls the reader along, creating a fine sense of suspense. The inevitability of the concluding scene creates a frisson of dread in the reader.

leorising: The author creates an completely new variation on a classic work of the imagination. Unlike other attempts at such a pastiche, this work is not overly dependent on its original, but goes off into unexplored directions.

BT Jones: The introspective nature of this tale of exploration in the depths of space causes the reader to ponder the nature of irrevocable choices. It is greatly reassuring to be reminded that sometimes the things we gain are worth the things we lose to pay for them.

@Ian Fortytwo .... Lord, what fools these mortals be .... A story which illustrates the truth that "A prophet is without honor in his own country."

Ian Fortytwo: In this cleverly constructed fantasy the archetypical elements of a magical quest are used to illustrate the eternal principle that none of us are as wise as we think we are. The narrator's bemused reaction to an unexpected revelation is a fine example of how difficult it is to accept new concepts.

paranoid marvin: In this tall tale with the feeling of a story told around the campfire, a combination of humor and insight leads to an entertaining experience. Certainly, all readers can relate to the wish to see the oppressor get their comeuppance.

@Raz2k13 .... A new hope .... A story which picks up on humanity's deepest longings and gives it possibility but still leaves me wondering if what comes next is what is imagined.

@Raz2k13 .... A new hope .... A story which picks up on humanity's deepest longings and gives it possibility but still leaves me wondering if what comes next is what is imagined.
Today was probably the best day for me to find this site and prompt. Easy enough to write about longing when art imitates life right? I too find myself wondering what's next. I always had a joke with my friend that I never knew what would happen next because my fingers had a mind of their own.

@Rafellin Appletop- I LOVED this. Kelmane was very to the point and blunt and I admire that in a character. I feel that self preservation instead of heroism in characters is oftentimes a better trait.

@Victoria Silverwolf A walk in the woods- I was intrigued as to what they hoped to acquire at their destination and was not disappointed. Defiantly would like to know what a necromancer would do getting their hands on something as ominous sounding as The Heart of the Forest King.

@Peter V Reunion- Wow. Left me wanting more. Do they really die after they are absorbed? Do their consciousness continue? A whole slew of questions come to mind.

@VRlass Something new- Thanks for those feels. Now I'm crying in the club.

@Robert Zwilling .... Space Walk .... A story about seeking, finding, and yet somehow not finding, and being okay with it all.