TV's best protagonists

Kerr Avon from Blake's 7
John Crichton from Farscape (especially after Scorpius is implanted in his mind)
John Drake from Danger Man
Omar Little from The Wire
Although it's unclear how she will continue in the series, Ashin of the North from The Kingdom

Great shout on Crichton and Aeryn Soon.

Buck Rogers
Flash Gordon
Starbuck, Apollo and Adama. (old or new)
Kirk, Picard and Sisko.
Captain Malcolm Reynolds.

Some good names on here, some even I'd forgotten! But a few others I'd forgot:

Del Boy Trotter.
Niles Crane. (The wife and I have just completed a full rewatch of Frasier.
And I dunno if anyone remembers a rather obscure comedy series called Watching from the end of the eighties to the early nineties, but I loved the character of Brenda in that.

Some good names on here, some even I'd forgotten! But a few others I'd forgot:

Del Boy Trotter.
Niles Crane. (The wife and I have just completed a full rewatch of Frasier.
And I dunno if anyone remembers a rather obscure comedy series called Watching from the end of the eighties to the early nineties, but I loved the character of Brenda in that.

Yeah, I remember watching Watching at the time and loving it. I actually forgot all about then saw a few episodes on Youtube and found that it was just as funny. Pretty incredible that it ran for 7 series and 56 episodes, yet no-one remembers it and it rarely gets repeated.

Sergeant Bilko from the Phil Silvers show had me in stitches as a kid. Really funny stuff.

Loved Bilko. Its seemed to run continually through my teenage years, and then suddenly disappeared without trace. I love (and envy) loquacious characters such as Ernie and Sir Humphrey, who can seemingly talk for minutes on a subject without repetition and without taking a breath. They would both do marvellously well on 'Just a Minute'.

I would also have to add Jeremy Brett's Sherlock to the list of unforgettable protagonists. In the end, the actor and his persona became indistinguishable from each other; he literally put his heart and soul into the character and likely led to his all-too-early death. I like Basil Rathbone's depiction of Holmes, and Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock was a refreshing change. But Jeremy Brett WAS Holmes. And I suspect always will be.

Benjamin Sisko from ST:DS9
And as other have said Buffy Summers
@Mouse has a good point about secondary character. They are often given far more room to manoeuvre and become more interesting because of that. For me, a well written show can play to this strength and give us something that we are not expecting but still accept as fitting in to the format we know.

George Smiley

Honourable mentions to:

Walter White
Edmund Blackadder
Bagpuss
The Clangers
Josh, CJ, Toby and Donna from The West Wing

(wow, the crossover potential is amazing!)

Not my personal favourite but I am surprised not to see John Thaw as Inspector Morse "Inspector Morose"
Going right back there was Rupert Davies as Maigret
and Jason King, the ultimate in 1970's 'hairdresser' style
1656419360471.png

and a favourite of mine Steve Forrest as The Barron

The latter half of theme containing one of the best brass riffs I have heard in any series

Jarod in the tv series The Pretender

Just been watching some Worzel Gummidge on Talking Pictures, with Una Stubbs as Aunty's Sally. The phrase 'they don't make them like that anymore' was never more aptly used. Jon Pertwee was renown for his role as the Doctor, but I suspect that he would prefer to be remembered as Worzel.

An actor who put his heart and soul into whichever role he played, and the reason why we love and miss him so much.

A toss up between Jeremy Bret's Sherlock and Hasselhoff's Michael Knight.

Dougie Jones from Twin Peaks. Incredibly funny but also somewhat tragic. A character highly capable of moving the viewer. His wife Jane runs him a close second. Brilliant no nonsense woman that stands her ground and refuses to take any cr*p.

John Sheridan
Susan Ivanova
Jeffrey Sinclair
Delenne
Michael Garibaldi
Marcus Cole
Steven Frankline
J, Kar
Londo Mollari

Last edited: