Starfield

Venusian Broon

Defending the SF genre with terminal intensity
Supporter
It may be a buggy mess at the start, a' la Bethesda and I should not get too hyped up about it, but the latest Starfield teaser is getting me a tad excited

Over a hundred star systems and over 1000 planets to explore?! Will it be a barren procedurally generated universe with a few points of interest or will it be well stocked with content? I can't see it being as utterly dense as Fallout in map design, so it will be interesting to see what they present. Although if they are keen to support modders, as they say, for the game, that leaves loads of space for mods to put stuff in.

I got the sense of a 'grown-up' No Mans Sky with an (hopefully a good) actual story and Fallout 4 gunplay. All the various crafting and building systems look tasty too.

I saw this on Werthead‘s website. It Could be right up my alley. I’m looking for a decent space game to play.

I'll wait and see what early user reviews are like. I say that now, knowing full well that I won't :LOL:

I'll wait and see what early user reviews are like. I say that now, knowing full well that I won't :LOL:
Snap, I did that with No Mans Sky and I'm not even going to pretend that I'm going to be sensible and wait.

It looks like a bigger and less garish The Outer Worlds. There's no chance my PC will run it but, if it's good, it might be the game I end up getting a new PC for.

After playing for twelve hours, I quit. When does the fun start? Does the game ever pay out in interesting visuals, choices, or mechanics?

I am not enjoying space flight. I admit that I don't have nor have ever had an interest in flying. While making two characters, I have not found any instructions on how to fly the craft.... Maybe I turned them off, but I did not find an option to turn them on. And then there is the fact that I need to enter the ship, get seated, go through a number of screens to select destinations just to fast travel. If it takes a minute to load one location to anotheer, then give me a load screen... but I don't like feeling like I'm being forced through a nonsensical loop in order to try and fool my brain into the sheer magnitude of space. It feels more like I'm being forced to scan and bag my own groceries while having it take the same amount of time at the same price.

Along the same lines.... travel in Skyrim, by foot or by horse, gives me visuals. Mountains, streams, forests, ruins, the ocean, and more are in constant vision. The apocalypse of D.C., Las Vegas, and Boston are inescapeable in Fallout. In any direction, there is something interesting to see.... and thus to go explore. In Starfield, planets are almost monochromatic. <Yawn> Of the six or so planets/moons to which I've journeyed, I land and go to a building or two. Inside, the buildings are not powered and so my only illumination is my flashlight. It does not feel like horror, it feels like bad graphics.

I find the fatigue factor in cities (places that do not have the threat of combat) to be pointless. Just put a cultural mechanic (only walking in cities) on my character. Don't try to use the exploration/combat fatigue mode upon me when I'm trying to collect and turn in quests. It feels like another artificial way to make the universe seem large.

What's with all the unnamed people walking around in cities? They just walk. They don't actually go to the places where I know business is being done. They don't go to the places I visit. They just walk. So it looks more crowded than cities in Knights of the Old Republic or World of Warcraft or any rpg or mmorpg, but it does not seem more alive.

I can see the choices in factions heading towards a definitive story, but at least one of them needs to appeal to me in order to drive my imagination. I don't care if they eventually expose themselves as liars, just capture my imagination. My companion just joined because. Because. I also have a super fan living on my ship. I have not done anything yet..... he joined waaaaay too early. I need to feel like I've earned some allegiance for a companion or to have a life and death situation to propel us together. I need to feel like I've accomplished something before getting a fan club.

I want to like it. I bought it. I want to love it. Am I just too old and jaded? I've found in life that I rarely like new music. I prefer the rhythyms and tones of my youth.... has it become that way with video games as well? Is it that my level of suspense of disbelief is just too high? I found Fallout 3 and 4 easy to suspend my disbelief. The characters, environments, and stories grabbed me quickly. I found Skyrim difficult to like, but after four hours or so I was hooked. What am I missing with Starfield?

@Brian G Turner I'd love to know what engages the imaginations of you and your family. I bought Starfield. I want to enjoy it. I've got two hours on one character and ten hours on another. How do I love them and their stories?

@Brian G Turner I'd love to know what engages the imaginations of you and your family. I bought Starfield. I want to enjoy it. I've got two hours on one character and ten hours on another. How do I love them and their stories?
I'm afraid I'm not well enough to play, and I'm not sure if it would appeal to me anyway - I enjoy the fantasy RPGs from Bethesda, but I've never even tried to get into Fallout.

As for Starfield, my family did find the flying bit frustrating at first, but once they got used to it it wasn't a problem, now they're happy exploring different planets and customizing their ships. :)

After playing for twelve hours, I quit. When does the fun start? Does the game ever pay out in interesting visuals, choices, or mechanics?
I don't think so, really. The game is wide as an ocean, shallow as a puddle. Not only do they reuse the game engine and many assets used in previous projects, the story itself by the end itself turns out to be embarrassingly derivative, with not much to say about anything at all. It seems almost that by design they cobbled together the safest mass-consumption product possible.

There's some interesting aspects in worldbuilding, like the space-age packaged foods and advertisements and such. And the combat is kind of fun.

I think I also quit after 12 hours played.

A friend of mine at work is playing this and he loves it.

I could get this free on Microsoft Game Pass but I haven't dipped my toes into it yet. Been thinking about just installing Skyrim instead.

I played this a bit on Xbox X, it is limited to 30fps. The story is rather weak and there are no vehicles to roam planets, all on foot, and even though it looks big, there is a lot of nothing. The odd gun fight does spice up things but it's rather lackluster.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Brian G Turner Game Discussions 7