Characters Behaving Stupidly In Science Fiction , Fantasy Horror Movies and TV Shows.

He surely wouldn't cut the rope and fall to his death.... would he?

Well, if I were in Mola Rams position seeing him with the Machete at the rope , the thought would cross my mind that Dr Jones in desperation might just do something that crazy. ;)

I can't excuse Lois, but its actually rather common that you cannot recognise someone if they are dressed differently and if you encounter them in a different situation. Humans have a vast array of looks, but predominantly they fall into categories and groups. Even between different families there are people who look very alike. Heck films use them all the time as stunt doubles.

Take the vast legions of Elvis Impersonators as well.

The key isn't just that Clark Kent wears glasses whilst superman does; its that he also wears a different set of clothes, his bearing of his body shifts (Superman is standing tall and proud, Clark is just standing, sometimes even looking meek and withdrawn); the style of his talking, the conversations and the way he looks at a person, addresses them and engages with them.

One might think Clark looks like Superman a bit here and there, but their behaviour and all are so different that the mind easily identifies them as two separate people.
My favourite story along those lines is that Dolly Parton once lost a Dolly Parton look-alike contest to a man....

Maybe it says something that the comics introduced 'super hypnotism' to explain why no-one made the superman-Clarke connection, but had both writers and readers been better studies of human psychology they'd have realised that a change of costume, circumstance, and manner was actually enough! :D

Hah possibly. Another aspect is that comics are a world of their own. Most of the characters you see are going to be the very limited pool of main story characters. Every so often you might get a public scene, but in general most of the faces you see are key characters. Part of that is often making sure that characters stand out so that they are easily identified as who is who. It's one reason anime uses things like big coloured eyes and wacky hair styles - they help tell characters apart from each other. Which is often why the main cast look WAY more flamboyant than the regular background characters.

So another aspect is that in the films, comics and all not only are Clark Kent and Superman very similar in appearance, but they are the only two characters who do look similar enough to each other. Every so often they might throw a whole "look a like" storyline in, but in general you aren't going to see two or three people who look similar to Clark just milling around without being part of the story.

My favourite story along those lines is that Dolly Parton once lost a Dolly Parton look-alike contest to a man....
Groucho Marx grew his moustache instead of just painting it on after the brothers were on tour, they got off their train and the fans mobbed them apart from Groucho who they didn't recognize until he hurriedly slapped on his makeup.

I really like Superman. More specifically, I really like the 'Christopher Reeve' Superman movies. I think he's the definitive Man of Steel, and I think that Gene Hackman is the definitive Lex Luthor. However... why does no-one realise that Clark Kent is Superman with glasses, and Superman is Clark Kent without glasses? Glasses on their own are no kind of a disguise, no matter how clumsily you act!

What makes it even worse is that he works for a newspaper, surrounded by people who by their very nature are inquisitive and observant. Lois Lane even goes flying with Superman and snogs him, works closely with Clark - yet it's only half way through the second movie (presumably months/years after they knew each other) before she even begins to suspect that something funny may be going on.

One of the things I liked about Christopher Reeves in this role was that he did something really interesting with the whole secret identity thing. There is a scene in the first movie where he's going to tell Lois that he is Superman before deciding he can't do it. Reeves briefly changes his entire body language. When you see him do this, it makes it a little more plausible that people would not figure out that Kent and Superman are the same person...it isn't just the glasses, it's how he holds himself, how he walks, etc. A really nice bit of acting.

One of the things I liked about Christopher Reeves in this role was that he did something really interesting with the whole secret identity thing. There is a scene in the first movie where he's going to tell Lois that he is Superman before deciding he can't do it. Reeves briefly changes his entire body language. When you see him do this, it makes it a little more plausible that people would not figure out that Kent and Superman are the same person...it isn't just the glasses, it's how he holds himself, how he walks, etc. A really nice bit of acting.

This won't the obvious resemblance and physical cues.

I have seen so many movies where I have Whiskey Tango Foxtrot moments because of the things people do, I started making up little posters celebrating the logic that had to be involved. Here is one of them...

(Bonus points if you can name the movie.)

Attachments

• Horror Poster 5.JPG
    Horror Poster 5.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 45
I have seen so many movies where I have Whiskey Tango Foxtrot moments because of the things people do, I started making up little posters celebrating the logic that had to be involved. Here is one of them...

(Bonus points if you can name the movie.)

Interesting poster , I like it .:cool: But I can't name the film .:)

When the only thing that can destroy you is located in the centre of your heavily fortified domain... you put at least one guard on the Cracks of Doom.

Don't you?

Oooh! I'd apply for that job.

"Just sit here on this volcano for the next thousand years, in case anyone finds their way past all the more active guards.

And if I catch you sleeping, you get thrown in."

Possibly, the last thirty applicants are currently molten lava.

Interesting poster , I like it .:cool: But I can't name the film .:)
The Monster of Piedras Blancas. I saw this film on Chiller Theater (WPIX 11) when I was about six years old. I think that explains a great deal about me.

Here's another poster...

Attachments

• Horror Early 8.JPG
    Horror Early 8.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 42
The Monster of Piedras Blancas. I saw this film on Chiller Theater (WPIX 11) when I was about six years old. I think that explains a great deal about me.

Here's another poster...

Deluge 1933. This was disaster movie that at one lingo was thought to be a los film then, they found a compete print You can see th compete film on YouTube . Ans the special effect even by standards of crumbling New York City look veer very impressive ! :cool:

Deluge 1933. This was disaster movie that at one lingo was thought to be a los film then, they found a compete print You can see th compete film on YouTube . Ans the special effect even by standards of crumbling New York City look veer very impressive ! :cool:
I'll have to check that one out. I wasn't thinking of any particular movie with that poster...it's the plot of a whole bunch of them. :)

You'd have abandoned the only other living Earth-creature to have survived the Xenomorph? Shame on you!

;)

Jones was totally unhelpful and mostly useless . First off , he witnessed the alien grab poor Brett and did absolutely nothing to save him , nor did he warn the crew on how big the alien has gotten , his inaction and silence clearly doomed crew. :mad:;)

Jones was totally unhelpful and mostly useless . First off , he witnessed the alien grab poor Brett and did absolutely nothing to save him , nor did he warn the crew on how big the alien has gotten , his inaction and silence clearly doomed crew. :mad:;)

I think I would have gone back to rescue my cat, but I'm under no illusions that my cat would do the same for me! I think the Alien left the cat alone because it recognised a kindred spirit.

The Twilight Zone episode The Odyssey of Flight 33 The plane , crew and passengers were from the year 1961 , Caught in a Time warp sent back to the Dinosaur era , They go back up find find wart and get back to the 20th century New York , the only problem is that thyearved in the year 1939. The plane is running low on fuel and even so, the pilot decided to try again . Were I that pilot, I would have landed plane in 1939.