Characters Behaving Stupidly In Science Fiction , Fantasy Horror Movies and TV Shows.

That movie was super great! You know who the "the old ones/gods" were right? The different countries had to play out their own horror sequence to please the old gods and if it didn't go just right...if all the right tropes weren't included--the old gods would rise up in anger!

Well, the old gods were the viewers, the audience. And isn't that how it goes? If a movie doesn't behave the way we want it to, we smear it...but then we also smear it when it behaves too close to how we expect so there really is a fine line when dealing with critics lol

I actually found an explanation of that last night. Pretty much when you put the entire world at stake, you can't let the heroes lose.

I never considered that we were the ones demanding that things be done a certain way, but I'm not much of a horror fan. In Ready Player One, I never directly watched the Shining and mostly know what it's about because of the Simpsons and other homage.

Pretty much when you put the entire world at stake, you can't let the heroes lose.

Oh but you can. The original Snowpiercer film ended with the last humans on Earth about to be eaten by a polar bear, The Forbin Project ends with the hero powerless as the Colossus computer takes control of humanity, Beneath the Planet of the Apes blows up the whole damn planet, everyone is well and truly frelled at the end of On the Beach, Dr. Strangelove didn't exactly have an upbeat ending... the list isn't endless but it does exist.

Oh but you can. The original Snowpiercer film ended with the last humans on Earth about to be eaten by a polar bear, The Forbin Project ends with the hero powerless as the Colossus computer takes control of humanity, Beneath the Planet of the Apes blows up the whole damn planet, everyone is well and truly frelled at the end of On the Beach, Dr. Strangelove didn't exactly have an upbeat ending... the list isn't endless but it does exist.

I can't remember why she was saying that. Considering that she said that the one subversion she's seen (done well?) was from Dragonball, maybe she hasn't watched any of the greats. (Actually, she probably has since she's aware that dystopic fiction has changed to include a hero.) I didn't really pay attention to Snowpiercer and I might have better luck if I view it as a metaphor for society instead of a literal train. I don't know why I didn't watch The Forbin Project when Scifi channel was blurbing the heck out of it. Been forever since I watched Planet of the Apes and I think I didn't watch that one much.

If your superhero or villain , capes can be serious liability . In Watchmen Dollar Bill got his cape stuck in revolving door and ended up dead . In the film The Incredibles Syndrome the villain got his cape stuck in turbo jet engine .:)

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Walter Donovan drinking from the wrong cup and becoming dust. His biggest mistake was trusting that Dr Snider would had him the right cup and the possibility that she wanted it for herself. And even though he was not a historian, it still should have occurred to him that the cup in question which, was the property of carpenter , would not have been made of gold or ornate in any way shape or form. It would have been a simple Cup which, would have at the very least narrowed the choices down for him.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Walter Donovan drinking from the wrong cup and becoming dust. His biggest mistake was trusting that Dr Snider would had him the right cup and the possibility that she wanted it for herself. And even though he was not a historian, it still should have occurred to him that the cup in question which, was the property of carpenter , would not have been made of gold or ornate in any way shape or form. It would have been a simple Cup which, would have at the very least narrowed the choices down for him.

Or simply made someone else drink from it first. It's not like it only made the first person immortal.

To be fair though, ask most people what they think the Grail would look like and they would probably say a golden goblet studded with precious gems. It's only when you think about it that the reality would likely be something quite different.

If your superhero or villain , capes can be serious liability . In Watchmen Dollar Bill got his cape stuck in revolving door and ended up dead . In the film The Incredibles Syndrome the villain got his cape stuck in turbo jet engine .:)

Is there any reasoning ever given as to why any superhero uses a cape? The only ones I can think of that it might assist are those who aren't capable of flight, but who glide, such as Batman.

Or simply made someone else drink from it first. It's not like it only made the first person immortal.

To be fair though, ask most people what they think the Grail would look like and they would probably say a golden goblet studded with precious gems. It's only when you think about it that the reality would likely be something quite different.

Fair points, the average person would envision a jewel encrusted cup and , Arthurian tales have crystalized this image of how the grail should look in most people minds. As images go, it's pretty powerful. :)

If I were faced with Donovan's situation , along a warning of what happens if I drink the wrong cup . I would pause for while and ponder .:unsure: In my case , im enough of a historian to have pretty good idea that such a cup would not be ornate. So, I would have been very skeptical of Dr Snider's selection .:)

Last edited:
Is there any reasoning ever given as to why any superhero uses a cape? The only ones I can think of that it might assist are those who aren't capable of flight, but who glide, such as Batman.

in the case Dr Strange and Spawn their capes are a part of their magic. Not all hero require them.

Because they are, from an artist's point of view, a really great way of getting dynamic motion into a scene whilst obscuring vast amounts of boring to draw background detail.

4784f8fc3d5e0112f92d8feca4906de7.jpg

If Thor's cape hadn't been so monumentally enormous it would have added hours to Jack Kirby's day. They also allow the character to carry around their own personal frame so they don't get lost in background detail which means the artist doesn't have to spend all day contriving ways for the character to stand against plain backgrounds or open skies.

Last edited:
Because they are, from an artist's point of view, a really great way of getting dynamic motion into a scene whilst obscuring vast amounts of boring to draw background detail.

4784f8fc3d5e0112f92d8feca4906de7.jpg

If Thor's cape hadn't been so monumentally enormous it would have added hours to Jack Kirby's day. They also allow the character to carry around their own personal frame so they don't get lost in background detail which means the artist doesn't have to spend all day contriving ways for the character to stand against plain backgrounds or open skies.

I never considered that, but it makes perfect sense. It also makes the character more imposing, like in the case of Darth Vader. And again, whether on screen or in print it makes them appear more dynamic. I just wondered if there was ever any rationale given as to why most superheroes wore one.

There is a series recently uploaded to YouTube called The Day After. YouTube videos can be downloaded with NewPipe and played with MX Player.

There are 9 episodes so far. It has 10 young people trapped in a bunker waking up and not knowing how they got there. They were supposed to be used to test a zombie virus but an accident happens, of course, the virus is released in Moscow and they are safe.

To me there is a competition among which 5 of the stereotypical shallow characters is the most dumb. I think the screamer that wanders off into the zombie infested city takes the prize.

Last edited:

Aesthetics? They wear spandex that looks painted on because drawing naked people is easier, but then that doesn't look right and a cape is the easiest drape.

Beneath the Planet of the Apes Dr Zeus okaying the whole lets take the army into the forbidden Zone because we're paranoid there's a imagined threat Ape City. Yeah , That stupid paranoid decision had very grave consequences for everyone involved.

Aesthetics? They wear spandex that looks painted on because drawing naked people is easier, but then that doesn't look right and a cape is the easiest drape.
Wasn't Superman's outfit made by Martha Kent from the cloth that was found with him in the pod that came down on the Kent's farm? So it's literally because his mum gave it to him, like Jayne Cobb's orange hat in Firefly.
1659550727613.png

The Star Trek episode The Doomsday Machine Commodore Mathew Decker supposedly one the most decorated in Starlet history commanding the starship Constellation encounters the the Neutronium hulled planet killer . Decker is very badly outgunned and Im willing to bet you the Science officer on his ship Mr Masada probably informed The Commodore that Phasers cannot penetrate the planet killers hull and , Decker ignored him and attacked anyways resulting in his ship being wrecked . This alone is catastrophic enough but, then Decker further compound things by beaming his enter crew onto a planet in the path of the machine which destroyed the planet and kills them . Common sense say hat what should have done is retreat and warn star fleet or, at the very least , not beam his crew down to a doomed planet. Then when rescued by Enterprise , in Kirks absence , he take command and haver nearly Destroys that ship proving he didn't learn anything from his previous excite with the planet killer.

As I understand it superhero costumes are an amalgam of what were a couple of pretty well know image/stereotypes of the 30s,

The circus strong man:
12bb439c125ead17db4562199b3b1c4e.jpg

and the swashbuckling movie hero:
the-adventures-of-robin-hood-1938-poster-white-type.jpg

(Interestingly the art for the poster has Errol Flynn wearing a cape for his climactic sword fight with Rathbone when in the film he doesn't.)
rh29a.jpg

There's something about the cape that just sells dynamism and action in a way no other piece of clothing can. Combine that with implied strength of the muscleman costume then whack a mask on - heroes have been disguising themselves and going incognito since Homer's day - and you have the basic template for every superhero costume until the days of post modern ironical revisionism with reluctant heroes like Starman
Starman_Vol_2_57.jpg

assembling his costume from welding goggles (because the starstaff emits a lot of light), a leather jacket (because it's cold flying about and the jacket was the most windproof thing he had), and a toy sheriff's badge from his memorabilia shop's stock because as he was called Starman he thought he should have some sort of star, somewhere, on his costume. - Totally by the by - the previous (1980s) iteration of Starman had his costume made by his sister and was pissed off there were no pockets in it.

I do need to get out more.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom The Bridge scene. Mola Ram has Dr Jone cornered on the rope bridge over the gorge , sees him with machete about to cut the bridge support . Why didn't it occur to Ram, to get ooff and stay off that bridge ?

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom The Bridge scene. Mola Ram has Dr Jone cornered on the rope bridge over the gorge , sees him with machete about to cut the bridge support . Why didn't it occur to Ram, to get ooff and stay off that bridge ?

He surely wouldn't cut the rope and fall to his death.... would he?