Resident Evil 4 is to be remade, for 2023!

Peter A

A great game, sure. Kind of overrated as well.

I didn't consider it much of a "survival horror" game over the years, just over the fact it's more like an adventure game, where you basically kill things to get people's currency, and no older RE games had you visiting a vendor to buy all sorts of goodies, which then makes your journey very comfortable. Therefore, I kind of disown it.

In my opinion, 4 was the start of RE becoming incredibly daft, as well as convoluted. The storylines up to that point at least yielded a degree of consistency. You know? But I just think 4 gets way too much praise. So how about 5 then? Aren't 4 and 5 practically identical?

I've watched friends play several Resident Evil games over the years (the first one, both on PlayStation and its Gamecube remake, the 2nd one, the 5th one...) but if you don't count the PS4 demo of the Resident Evil reboot (or is it RE7?), RE4 is the only one I actually played. And by that I mean I played it and replayed it and replayed it again until the game no longer had any secrets for me. There was even a point when I remember playing the whole game in one sitting (Thanks, Tommy gun), several days in a row. Granted, that didn't last too long, probably a week or a week and a half. But I was addicted to it.

Yes, it's an odd one... dare I say it was much more 'Japanese' than the previous ones? There's no denying that it stood out from what its predecessors had established as the 'mythology' of the series, and it was certainly an actioner rather than survival horror, but in my book it made everything better. Bye bye slow, boring zombies, welcome parasitic Lovecraftian horrors! Between ganados with exploding heads, regeneradores, diminutive castellans and giant insects... you really couldn't tell what would be coming at you next.

I don't think the action component and the plentiful ammunitions made the experience less scary: seeing the chainsaw guy running at you while yelling profanities in Spanish was downright terrifying, at least the first couple playthroughs. The character design seemed much more interesting to me and I wanted to find out more about Las Plagas, what it was and how it transformed those it came in contact with. Who was human, who was a monster and who was a hybrid of both? The variety in the settings also did a lot for me, especially the maze-like castle and its weird, child-like owner.

An important detail is that I played it on the Wii which made its gameplay a lot more intuitive and, yes, easier. The experience was more akin to a point and click game, I guess. Aiming had never been this easy and allowed me to focus on exploring and enjoying the strange, sick world of the game.

It's strange that you think RE5 is practically identical, to me RE5 is the one where the series jumped the shark, to the point where I had no interest in playing it at all after watching a friend munch through most of the game.

A great game, sure. Kind of overrated as well.

I didn't consider it much of a "survival horror" game over the years, just over the fact it's more like an adventure game, where you basically kill things to get people's currency, and no older RE games had you visiting a vendor to buy all sorts of goodies, which then makes your journey very comfortable. Therefore, I kind of disown it.

In my opinion, 4 was the start of RE becoming incredibly daft, as well as convoluted. The storylines up to that point at least yielded a degree of consistency. You know? But I just think 4 gets way too much praise. So how about 5 then? Aren't 4 and 5 practically identical?
I like this game a lot, and I don't think it's overrated.

I see it as a renewal of the franchise. The first trilogy was great for its generation, but it did not age well. RE4 is director Shinji Mikami’s leap of faith to something new. The same thing happened with RE7.

As it has been said above, guns, ammunition and Leon’s fighting skills don’t make the game any less scary. Dr. Salvador saws you head off with a single hit, and the Regenerator only dies if you shoot his weak spots with a special scope. RE5, on the other hand, is pretty bad: it’s daylight most of the time, and Chris fights a BOULDER with PUNCHES.

Yep. RE5 was not that great. But in RE6, they rip off the giant Locust from Gears of War. Also, you run around in a platoon, and use a kid's slide.

For many years RE never really had a horror aspect, rather a suspense, thriller adventure. That being said, the suspense could be absolutely terrifying to a point of not wanting to open a door because I knew a room was full of seven or eight los plagos and I had six bullets. RE is so much suspense, I would say that it is the actual game type for their genre, until they wanted to switch back over to horror once Evil Within came out and they had to compete with an alternate version of themselves. Even the movies never really had a horror element. Parasite Eve, on the other hand, was spooky. I'd love to have seen that game keep in the mainstream. For the most part, if you're running around with guns, I don't consider it much of horror. I'd lend that title to games more like Outlast and Amnesia, maybe even Alien:Isolation. An underrated game, I actually think was one of the few horror suspense games that was terrifying, was the Suffering. That game was so good and very scary.
As for RE4 being overly praised and the same as 5, I have to disagree with every fiber of my being! It was so good and I can't wait to play the reboot. If I ever find time to get away from my writing! Also, don't play these games on anything but the hardest difficulties to get the full experience.

I noticed this upcoming remake has parrying.

That's rather stupid. A knife couldn't withstand that.