Theodore Sturgeon ruined Vulcan Culture

psikeyhackr

Physics is Phutile, Fiziks is Fundamental
Theodore Sturgeon wrote one of the top 10 episodes of TOS, Amok Time. This episode took Spock, Kirk and McCoy to the Vulcan home world and introduced Pon Farr the peculiar Vulcan sexual practice. This behavior seems to contradict Vulcan's rational behavior and has been used in numerous Trek works since then.

Star Trek premiered in 1966 the same year Heinlein published The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. In that book Heinlein mentioned LOGLAN, an experiment in Logical Language. Heinlein got interested in General Semantics in the 1940s which is a psychological and philosophical system for making people more rational.

I was one of the kids that got called Mr. Spock in high school. I did not try to start this. But I started reading SF 5 years before Trek and put up with my mother calling it "something crazy". I recall standing there looking up at her thinking, "If it is something crazy how could she know if she had not read it?" I ignored her and kept reading it.

So I found Vulcan culture very interesting compared to the normal weird humans around me. Like believing in collapsing skyscrapers without demanding accurate data on the distribution of steel. LOL

Last edited: