It ends with humans being a 1/3 of their original height so they require 1/9 of the food

bassguy

Hello

I am seeking the title and author of the following book, for which I can only provide scant details. It is a full book/novel; not a short story. The book is sci-fi, it is set in the future and would have been written in the late '60s or early '70s.

In respect of the main character, who is male, there is a plot regarding his uncle or grandfather (secretly) working on a site in the future akin to an archeological site. By some manner I don't recall, the main character ends-up working on the site with his relative and he finds the handle of a tea cup. He is questioned by his relative as to the meaning of the item and eventually is led to the conclusion that it is enormous when compared to the current size of a similar item. This then leads the main character to understand that, over time, scientists and the government have worked to reduce to the height of humans to about 1/3 of their original size so that they only require about 1/9 of the food intake. I recollect a threat from the relative that if the main character had not been able to work to the conclusion then there would have been no alternative but to kill him to ensure the secret that the government is trying to hide from the population.

My memory may be wrong but I think that there was a sub-character in the same book, who is also male. I remember the book was about people living in tall towers and the front door of each apartment in the towers had its own (unique) door knocker. The sub-character had some sort of de-glue mixture and was using it to surreptitiously steal door knockers from apartments. The sub-character was hoarding the door knockers in his own apartment.

Thankyou in advance for taking the time to read my post and assisting in my search.

Regards
Peter (bassguy)

Last edited:
There was a series of shrunken humans called (IIRC) The Micronauts. Not sure how they came about, but I don't think it was a gradual reduction in size.
NOT related to the "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" franchise.

Shouldn't that be 1/27?
Just to clarify: A human with dimensions reduced to a third would have volume reduced to 1/27. So would only need 1/27 of the food.

Interestingly - well, I think its interesting anyway - this also explains why the giant animals in monster movies could never exist. Like, say, a giant ant attacking a town. If you double the dimensions of an animal, its cross-sections are quadrupled and its mass (volume) is multiplied by eight. The strength of limbs is proportional to cross sectional area but the mass to be supported increases at a far greater rate. So, an ant the size of a building would not be able to support its own weight. There would be hundreds of other issues as well (oxygen extraction from the air is a function of cross sectional area, while the tissue to be supported by the oxygen increases exponentially in comparison).

Anyway, sorry, I have no idea on the title and author of the book.

Hello @PaulMmn and @Christine Wheelwright Your maths may be correct; however, my memory of the book is that height of humans was reduce to 1/3 for food requirements to be reduced by 1/9. The maths might be incorrect, but that is my recollection. I have no recollection of 1/27, only 1/9 . . . still, it was a long time ago that I read the book :)

Just to clarify: A human with dimensions reduced to a third would have volume reduced to 1/27. So would only need 1/27 of the food.

Interestingly - well, I think its interesting anyway - this also explains why the giant animals in monster movies could never exist. Like, say, a giant ant attacking a town. If you double the dimensions of an animal, its cross-sections are quadrupled and its mass (volume) is multiplied by eight. The strength of limbs is proportional to cross sectional area but the mass to be supported increases at a far greater rate. So, an ant the size of a building would not be able to support its own weight. There would be hundreds of other issues as well (oxygen extraction from the air is a function of cross sectional area, while the tissue to be supported by the oxygen increases exponentially in comparison).

Anyway, sorry, I have no idea on the title and author of the book.

Oi. Giant ants can do whatever they want to. Science? We don't need no stinking science. ;)

That might be correct if metabolic requirements are purely related to volume, but it is more complex than that. Need to consider body surface area:mass ratio, amongst other things. A smaller individual will have to use proportionately more energy to maintain a steady body temperature, in cold climates ( so the particular environment is also part of the calculation. ) Shape is also relevant.

That might be correct if metabolic requirements are purely related to volume, but it is more complex than that. Need to consider body surface area:mass ratio, amongst other things. A smaller individual will have to use proportionately more energy to maintain a steady body temperature, in cold climates ( so the particular environment is also part of the calculation. ) Shape is also relevant.
Agreed. The smaller human would be proportionally more energetic. It would be able to run proportionally faster for longer and jump a couple of times its own height. It would cover proportionally more ground looking for food, a mate and the local pub.

Vonnegut had the Chinese go much further, in his book Slapstick.. They were also very prolific. It was not known until the end of the book that the dust, which was causing everyone in America to have very poor health, was actually made of very small Chinamen.
Meanwhile, Genesis had a song in which humanoid height was limited to 4 feet, to allow them to fit twice as many people on the same building site. (Starting obviously, with the town of Harlow. A popular target for their jocularity, along with other Essex towns. TOWIE, some 30 years too soon. :) )

This is not the story requested, but since others are setting out some similar stories, the first one it reminded me of is not a print story, but the original Twilight Zone (TZTOS?) episode "Four O'Clock".

The main character -- one could not call this slime mold a "protagonist" -- is on a one-man McCarthyism harassment and destruction campaign against anyone he considers "evil".
His final retaliation, after ruining their lives, against All The Evil People In The World is a curse that will make them two feet tall.

That does sound odd. Of course at 4:00 he becomes two feet tall. But funnier than the oddball curse is the parrot who keeps squawking "Nut" after this man speaks. The crazy man never gets it, but just hands the parrot a peanut. The parrot makes the show. I think anyone who has seen it may forget the title as I did, but will never forget the parrot.

Let's not even talk about the 'giant grasshoppers' in a schlockey sci fi movie-- they attacked a building by 'climbing up' a photo of the building.
Ah yes The Beginning of the End 1957 . a Very cheesy and laughably bad movie.:D

Manalone by Colin Kapp? From what I can remember of the book old films are banned and the protagonist secretly watches old movies and starts to wonder why the laws of gravity /physics seem different in them., Slow realisation through the book that the human race has been (somehow) forced to shrink in size to save the planet's resources.

First Published in 1977 so just outside your " late '60s or early '70s" timeframe but after 50 or your earth years....

Last edited:
Hello @JunkMonkey Thankyou for the suggestion. I'm fairly sure that is not the book. I don't recollect the main character as being a computer programmer. I also don't recollect any indication of the laws of gravity/physics changing. More so, it seems, from reading synopses of the book, it seems that the main character discovers the 'secret' early in the book and then spends the rest of the book battling governments. On the other hand, the book to which I refer has the main character discovering the 'secret' towards the end. The book you suggest does seem interesting and there are likely parallels between the stories of the two books. I'll keep it in-mind as a future book to read. Again, thank you for your efforts. Regards, Peter

Hello @JunkMonkey Thankyou for the suggestion. I'm fairly sure that is not the book. I don't recollect the main character as being a computer programmer. I also don't recollect any indication of the laws of gravity/physics changing. More so, it seems, from reading synopses of the book, it seems that the main character discovers the 'secret' early in the book and then spends the rest of the book battling governments. On the other hand, the book to which I refer has the main character discovering the 'secret' towards the end. The book you suggest does seem interesting and there are likely parallels between the stories of the two books. I'll keep it in-mind as a future book to read. Again, thank you for your efforts. Regards, Peter

Two novels you might want check out by Brian Aldiss Non-Stop and Hot House . They're not the books you looking for but both are quite good. :)

Just to pour more cold water on large fantasy things, insects can't get above a certain size not just because of leg strength but because they wouldn't be able to take in enough oxygen by diffusion along their trachea. The larger insects of e.g. the Devonian era were probably only possible because of higher oxygen concentration, but even they wouldn't trouble a midwestern town.

And apparently trees are limited to about a hundred metres tall because of the physics of how sap rises. Take that, Trees of Valinor!

Also magic can't happen.

Yr welcome.

The laws of physics don't change in the book - just the way they appeared to people.

Take water tension for example. It is obviously to anyone (over the age of seven) that in older movies (before CGI) that when a dam bursts or a city gets flooded by a tidal wave it's a model - no matter how fast they cut the footage, or how detailed the model, they inundate, or how much they overcrank the camera, or how much detergent they put in the water to break the surface tension - the water acts wrongly. It doesn't behave like a huge wave of water. It behaves like a small wave of water in a small model. (This is why Jack Arnold got through so many condoms on the shoot of the Incredible Shrinking Man. Towards the end, in the cellar, the dripping water is made of water in condoms dropped from above on a hand cranked convoyer belt. Dropping buckets of water just spread out too much and looked rubbish. They didn't look like drops.)

In Manalone, old films were banned in the scaled down world because people would start wondering why the water in them (that wasn't crashing through small models) was acting so weirdly wet and splashy.

Just to pour more cold water on large fantasy things, insects can't get above a certain size not just because of leg strength but because they wouldn't be able to take in enough oxygen by diffusion along their trachea. The larger insects of e.g. the Devonian era were probably only possible because of higher oxygen concentration, but even they wouldn't trouble a midwestern town.

And apparently trees are limited to about a hundred metres tall because of the physics of how sap rises. Take that, Trees of Valinor!

Also magic can't happen.
Insects respire through spiracles which open along their segments. These lead to a network of small tubes. As you say, passive diffusion is probably the limiting factor, though a vaguely recall that this is augmented by some sort of abdominal movements in larger insects.