Raw Space by Todd McCaffrey

Danny McG

"Kree kruh vergo gebba kalto kree!"
This is the first in a series, set in a future with Human Hegemony spread over several star systems.

The tale begins with a young ensign in the Space Navy who eagerly gets her first assignment, however it isn't a heavy cruiser like she'd hoped, instead she's sent to a laundry ship, the SS Sparkle (commanded by her long estranged sister)

After several weeks of dutifully carrying out her tasks as the ship warps to various scattered squadrons, she gets suspicious of some of the actions of her crew mates and soon learns that Sparkle is really a spy ship keeping an eye on rebellious planets. Who would suspect a laundry ship?

However there are real hostiles infiltrating and one night disaster strikes ...she wakes up cold because all the cotton material has disintegrated, including bedding and uniforms, the entire crew is soon going about the ship stark naked, and this has happened on all the Navy ships.

Part two of the hostiles biological attack now kicks in, where a massive upsurge in arousal happens and orgies take place shipwide (you can tell the author is trying to come out from his mother's influence), the main protagonists desperately work in the lab trying to find a cure (while taking "tension relief" breaks)

Eventually all is saved in the nick of time and the officers and crew shamefacedly make amends to each other while preparing to meet the real enemy.

As I said, this is book one of a series, but my eyeballs can't face another adventure with these cardboard characters

Last edited:
This is the first in a series, set in a future with Human Hegemony spread over several star systems.

The tale begins with a young ensign in the Space Navy who eagerly gets her first assignment, however it isn't a heavy cruiser like she'd hoped, instead she's sent to a laundry ship, the SS Sparkle (commanded by her long estranged sister)

After several weeks of dutifully carrying out her tasks as the ship warps to various scattered squadrons, she gets suspicious of some of the actions of her crew mates and soon learns that Sparkle is really a spy ship keeping an eye on rebellious planets. Who would suspect a laundry ship?

However there are real hostiles infiltrating and one night disaster strikes ...she wakes up cold because all the cotton material has disintegrated, including bedding and uniforms, the entire crew is soon going about the ship stark naked, and this has happened on all the Navy ships.

Part two of the hostiles biological attack now kicks in, where a massive upsurge in arousal happens and orgies take place shipwide (you can tell the author is trying to come out from his mother's influence), the main protagonists desperately work in the lab trying to find a cure (while taking "tension relief" breaks)

Eventually all is saved in the nick of time and the officers and crew shamefacedly make amends to each other while preparing to meet the real enemy.

As I said, this is book one of a series, but my eyeballs can't face another adventure with these cardboard characters

That sounds like an SF pulp plot from the fifties, except it was probably more explicit now than it would have been then. Also sounds like a bullet I have dodged thanks to you @Danny McG :ROFLMAO:

Have you tried Jim C. Hines' Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse [starts with Terminal Alliance]? It's amazing what you can do with some soap and water.

I'll look into it, but just now I'm a bit wary of SF cleaners :giggle:
It's light and funny. The second book has zombies. Third and last book is out in August 2023.
These janitors are also very innovative when it comes to getting out of mucky situations. No lengthy details about laundry. :ROFLMAO:

Back