Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey (1912)

AE35Unit

]==[]===O °
Well this was the first time I'd read a Western, and it was nothing like I expected. As a kid I'd watch westerns on TV and so I imagined that's how the book would roll. No. Not at all. Its a quiet story, an adventure, with a bit of romance, a bit of derring-do, and just a hint of cowboy-ness.
Overall a decent enough story, just not high in action. It surprised me as it got quite interesting near the middle, building up to the denouement, which comes upon you really quickly.
Apparently there's a sequel. I will look for it
Read on my Kobo Touch e-reader.

Screenshot_2022-05-11-16-35-54-30_1bd9607b7966f4768c54b0300c8c7f30-02_copy_768x1129.jpeg

I actually prefer the work of his son Romer Zane Grey. Maybe because his westerns are more what you expect.

Well this was the first time I'd read a Western, and it was nothing like I expected. As a kid I'd watch westerns on TV and so I imagined that's how the book would roll. No. Not at all. Its a quiet story, an adventure, with a bit of romance, a bit of derring-do, and just a hint of cowboy-ness.
Overall a decent enough story, just not high in action. It surprised me as it got quite interesting near the middle, building up to the denouement, which comes upon you really quickly.
Apparently there's a sequel. I will look for it
Read on my Kobo Touch e-reader.

View attachment 89728

Good writer. I would highly recommend Shane by Jack Schaefer. Perhaps regarded as the greatest Western novel.