List of Fiction Top-level Genres

M. Robert Gibson

is
Supporter
After reading this article on using Categories and Tags on wordpress.com
I decided I needed to change the categories on my site, so I thought I'd use fiction genres for better discovery. About 10 should do.

So, I embarked on the usual quest to find other people's thoughts, and after reading around I came up with this tentative list
  • Action Adventure
  • Crime
  • Fantasy
  • Historical
  • Horror
  • Humour
  • Romance
  • Science Fiction
  • Speculative Fiction - to cover everything not SF/F
  • Thriller
  • Western

A couple of questions arose from the research
Is Crime a sub-genre of Thriller?

A lot of the lists I found have Young Adult as a genre. Now, to me, that is not a genre, it's a target market. What does anyone else think?

Have I missed anything obvious?

Cheers

MRG

I don't think Thrillers are the same as Crime. They can be spy stories, or escapes from prisoner of war camps, or a wronged man on the run from the law, without involving any murder or heist or embezzlement.

I've worked in lending libraries (a long time ago) but these were the kind of categories that fiction was divided into back then. I'd say it was a good list.

Young Adult to me, means that the protagonists are young adults. That does limit the audience to to other young adults, because it means that they aren't fully mature, are less worldly-wise, even to the point of naivety, and have new uncertain relationships, which isn't what you normally find in a hero.

I'm not sure how much you want to subdivide, but you might also consider Military, Spy, and Political. These would seem to attract different types of reader, but I also could see them rolled up under either Thriller or Action/Adventure.

I would create a list of distinct (sounding) genres and eliminate any that seem to be more than one category. If that list is less than 10; okay.

The two challenges with creating categories are that they are infinitely subdivisible and items will fall into multiple categories. It is a subjective balancing act as too many categories overwhelm understanding and too few allow a wide range of internal variation, which limits their value.

Further research turned up a couple of long lists with sub-genres and a brief description of the genre. Mind you, I think one might be derived from t'other

https://fictionphile.com/fiction-genres/

I think now I'll add Mystery as a top-level genre

I'm also thinking I might need to add some sub-genres e.g. put Crime under Thriller

Thanks for the feedback, y'all

Back