(Found) A memory from long ago

Qjakal

Hello to all fellow sci fi addicts and fans. I have been searching on and off for the last few decades for the title or author of a novelette. The main plot feature is a society built on the strength of one’s mind rather than wealth or physical power/charisma. People literally wear their “number” on their forehead(?) showing how many others they control. Those with less than 10 were effectively slaves since the very strongest were closer to 100. The story revolved around a mid level trying to ward off the plans of some of the elite but my details are sketchy. It’s likely not one of those older plot lines that hold up well but I’ve had the urge to read it once more for a long time. Best guess is that it’s from the late 50’s or sometime in the 60’s. Perhaps some other old timers on here could point me towards it?

It sounds a bit like 'Mind Traders' by J. Hunter Holly.

Already mentioned in this forum:-

Nicely done and thank you very much. Sometimes the urge to reread an old story is like an unscratched itch that just won’t leave me alone. Most of the time they are seriously flawed and don’t live up to my fond memories but I’m still gonna scratch that blessed itch. Ordered and otw already…again, thank you.