Harpo’s Sandbuilding Worldbox.

Good idea, do we each build onto the place? ...I like the idea of an old school SF universe where ya just jump out of the rocket on random planets with no pressure/ atmosphere/ gravity problems ...and it's cool to smoke on the spaceships ...which run on diesel;)

Good idea, do we each build onto the place? ...I like the idea of an old school SF universe where ya just jump out of the rocket on random planets with no pressure/ atmosphere/ gravity problems ...and it's cool to smoke on the spaceships ...which run on diesel;)

Mechanical diesel of course. None of this newfangled electronic common rail buffoonery.

Yep, just good old fashioned space exploration -where ya can smell a new planet before ya ever set eyes on it; good plan, will try start with the outer galactic spiral later (y)

The medium sized slightly oblong planet of Liddiumbracknel lies at the outer edge of the Galactic Spiral Arm. It orbits a star known as Ullubell Mighty for most of the week. The local jury is out on what happens midweek, and the rest of the Agency planets could care less about what happens to Liddiumbracknel on a Wednesday.

Long story short, it is probably about as far away from the fussy efficiency of Agency Homeworlds as you can get (using a rocketship at any rate).

Anyway:
  • In a small earth hut.
  • On a hillside
  • Near the South pole
  • Lives Yalook Ogslub.
She is unremarkable in almost every way, and would have gone through her life unnoticed. Save for the fact that she hated Chad Spulternick with a dramatic and violent passion. The thing is, her spontaneous rants about Chad were famous across the Galactic Spiral Arm.

'God help Chad Spulternick if he ever goes to Liddiumbracknel', they used to say (and by they I mean the random citizens of the Agency who knew her).

I wish I'd know that then, or at least before now. But I didn't. And for that reason was perfectly happy to be sat beside Chad Spulternick onboard a rocketship bound for Liddiumbracknel.

There are three orbital Agency guard stations within the Ullubell Mighty star system. It is necessary to visit all three before making planetfall. Nobody I have met could say why there are three, or why you need to do the same thing at each one -but such is life on the route to Liddiumbracknel.

'Any passengers?' asked the Agency Guard at our third stop. After a long pause. It was his second question following a long pause. Agency Guards are trained to do this. It is a subtle way of exerting authority. Some understand this, and it works for them. Others don't, and their daily interactions take an exceptionally long time. This particular Guard didn't.

'Yes, Chad Spulternick and three furniture droids.'

The Guard leaned in the window to take a look at Chad. Six other Guards appeared from out of an office behind him. Their heads had been straining out the open door to hear what was going on, and now curiosity got the better of them. It was the same at the previous two orbital stations. Whatever the Agency Guards normally do must not be as interesting as questioning strangers. Because each time we approached a station at least half as dozen heads would appear at the window. Straining like meercats to see what was inside our rocket.

'Can I see some identification Mr Spulternick?' continued the Guard (at the end of another long pause).

Chad sat staring at the Guard for so long that I felt the need to break the silence.

'Chad, if we all pause before we speak we'll never get to Liddiumbracknel, could ya just let the Guard do the pause-talk, and go with normal speed yourself?'

'Sure', he said, and flicked a small plastic wallet at the Guard. He did it in a way that was meant to show disrespect. It was the first time I had a suspicion there was more to Chad Spulternick than furniture removal. In any case, the Guard didn't seem to notice, and began another long pause (exactly long enough to have read an SFF Chronicles 75 Word Challenge -which might have been the thing to do at the time. Unfortunately neither Chad nor me have heard of SFF Chronicles. Or Micro Fiction. Or the internet.)

'Okay', said the Guard finally. It was clear that our time at the orbital station had come to an end. Because he flicked his hand in the Universal gentle backhand fly swat signal for 'off ye go'.

'Them Agency squares are all the same' muttered Chad.

That was the second time I had a suspicion that there was more to Chad Spulternick than furniture removal. I rolled up the window and accelerated our rocket out of the orbital layby. Ullubell Mighty was now low in the sky. We'd need to hurry to make Liddiumbracknel before dark. All the pauses in conversation had taken their toll on our day.

The diesel-powered starships can "jump" between star systems, passing from one gravity to the next by cunningly exploiting the structure of space-time. They do this by plotting weird, labyrinthine courses around the transit point. Don't call it "dancing." Mean, tough crewfolk don't like it when you say their ships dance. (It's totally dancing.)

Class ...and the only way human minds can survive this type of travel is if the crew get hammered on hallucinogenic drugs. Every so often somebody forgets, and they end up going into a permanent trance like state. These folk are known as 'readers', because they constantly look like they are reading. Every starship tries to have at least one reader onboard to bring luck and ward off evil galactic spirits.

Two of the major Human interstellar civilisations in play are the Bloodstar Imperium (actually a very peaceful and democratic federation of planets) and the Utopian Rebublic of Glorbis (actually an expansionist police state led by an immortal dictator.)

Back