Star Trek Continues

Mon0Zer0

Supporter
I couldn't find a thread on this, but has anyone watched the Vic Mignona / Grant Imahara starring TOS fan series Star Trek Continues?

Mignona plays Shatner's Kirk in a surprisingly high quality fan series. They get the look and feel of TOS down to a tee, including reproducing the sets, lighting and camera effects faithfully. The writing in later episodes is also very impressive, coming from Greg Dykstra (Incredibles 2, Robocop 2), Marc Cushman (ST: TNG) and multiple hugo award winning writer Robert J Sawyer; as is the appearance of Trek alumni like Michael Dorn, John de Lancie, Jason Isaacs and Marina Sirtis.
Whilst the acting isn't up to the original, it's clearly made with a lot of love and respect. Personally, I've enjoyed it far more than I have New Trek, and not just for the nostalgic feelies, but because the ST formula still works and there is still a rich seam to mine from the exploration gimmick.

It's a good effort but, in the end, Trek has to evolve and change with the time and, it can't do that by staying in one place.

That's a good show. For variety, they could have come up with character story arcs across episodes mixed with the main plot of each episode, or some plots cutting across several episodes for variety, etc.

It's a good effort but, in the end, Trek has to evolve and change with the time and, it can't do that by staying in one place.

Sure. But it's telling that a fan series (and the Orville) do a much better job at Trek than official Trek.

There's a happy medium: give us great stories by great sci-fi writers who get the medium and have big ideas. Put them together with talented actors and a production crew with an intelligent showrunner like J. Michael Straczynski or Ronald D. Moore.

You can update the format and the surface veneer of the show to make it more cinematic and take advantage of CGI, but at the core should be a Trek like vision of the future, rather than generic action schlock.

That's a good show. For variety, they could have come up with character story arcs across episodes mixed with the main plot of each episode, or some plots cutting across several episodes for variety, etc.

In the netflix age we're more accustomed to season long story arcs, but I wonder if that doesn't hinder, rather than help. One of the things about syndicated television is each episode (with a few exceptions) was one and done - and I wonder if that didn't lead to greater longevity overall, as the stories could be watched out of sequence.

Something I find increasingly off-putting about Marvel movies is how they all connect, and if you don't watch one season of wandavision or Endgame or whatever, you don't have a clue what's going on. The universification of properties makes me less inclined to watch them. Does anyone feel the same?

In the netflix age we're more accustomed to season long story arcs, but I wonder if that doesn't hinder, rather than help. One of the things about syndicated television is each episode (with a few exceptions) was one and done - and I wonder if that didn't lead to greater longevity overall, as the stories could be watched out of sequence.

Something I find increasingly off-putting about Marvel movies is how they all connect, and if you don't watch one season of wandavision or Endgame or whatever, you don't have a clue what's going on. The universification of properties makes me less inclined to watch them. Does anyone feel the same?
Yes, that applies to Trek, which is why I tend to remember particular episodes. I get this feeling, though, that they eventually ran out of ideas with TOS, and that STC would have ended up similar.

Sure. But it's telling that a fan series (and the Orville) do a much better job at Trek than official Trek.

There's a happy medium: give us great stories by great sci-fi writers who get the medium and have big ideas. Put them together with talented actors and a production crew with an intelligent showrunner like J. Michael Straczynski or Ronald D. Moore.

You can update the format and the surface veneer of the show to make it more cinematic and take advantage of CGI, but at the core should be a Trek like vision of the future, rather than generic action schlock.

JMS wanted to do a Star Trek series, but it never happened . A pity , id like to have seen his take on Star Trek.

The trend is for franchises to become bigger and interconnected to create synergy and make the profit pie bigger. Yes, It force the consumers to have to see all the films to get all of the story . This also handcuffs writers and producers to taller the and the product to. fit neatly into the universal franchise . You end up with a very mediocre product and over time , the audiences will start to disappear.

I gave up on reading Marvel Comics because of constant "Want to know where Gambit was and what he's talking about? Pick up Avengers issue #167." In the cartoons in the 90's, it was fun that the X-men could show up in Spiderman, but like anyone else who showed up like Daredevil, they were treated from a story perspective as if the viewers didn't watch any other shows. Marvel Cinematic Universe was fun, I haven't seen much of the spinoff shows, but I think they should dial it back to be friendlier to the casual viewer.

I never got into comic books in a major way. For some reason , the Adam West Batman series and Super friends pretty much soured me on Superhero comics. I didn't start taking them seriously until Miller 's The Dark Knight Returns.

Blasphemy! 60's Batman remains a delight to this day! The scripts on West's batman are very well written with some great jokes.

I found the show aggravating. I would like to have seen him play the character in serious manner. He was a very good actor and could have very easily done serious take on Batman.

Back