I'm going to write short stories.

Ian Fortytwo

A Poet, Writer and eclectic Reader.
Supporter
I have been reading loads of short stories, and this seems to be an easier route for me to take instead of a novel. I have read quite a few women's stories in magazines, and as I have quite a lot of ideas. I have chosen a women's pen name so that I can enter into this world of fiction, which is mainly romance. I know this a science fiction and fantasy forum, but I know also that I'll get help if I need it. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
I have been reading loads of short stories, and this seems to an easier route for me to take instead of a novel. I have read quite a few women's stories in magazines, and as I have quite a lot of ideas. I have chosen a women's pen name so that I can enter into this world of fiction, which is mainly romance. I know this a science fiction and fantasy forum, but I know also that I'll get help if I need it. Thank you in advance.
Oh, welcome aboard!

Finishing a short-story gives a writer instant satisfaction. Writing “The End”, sitting back in your chair and sighing is a great feeling indeed, and you can do that much more often than with novels. Also, as you said, it certainly seems easier than writing novels… but it isn’t. To sell a short-story for a high pay rate is extremely hard. I don’t want to discourage you, on the contrary, but I also feel like I need to tell you the whole truth.

Someone wrote a similar thread circa one year ago, and I answered it with some tips. I’m not very much into romance though, nor do I know magazines that primarily publish this genre… but you could certainly write F/SF-tinged romance. I don’t remember any stories off the top of my head right now, but I found a nonfiction article about it.

All in all, I’ll be waiting for your stories in the critique section!

I agree with alex. Writing a short story is a lot quicker than writing a novel, and so is easier in that sense, but writing a short story that a professional publication will accept isn't of itself an easy option.

I know you take part in the Challenges, Ian, so you're getting some experience in writing a complete tale, but do you feel you're progressing there? Are you getting many votes? More votes on average now than when you started, especially in the 300s? If not, have you analysed why? More particularly, have you asked for feedback in the Improving threads? The quickest way to progress as a writer -- if, regrettably, also the most painful way -- is to get someone else to critique our work, so we can see what we're doing wrong and how to put it right. This is a vital step if you want to be a professional writer. As Alex suggests, you could go into Critiques if you write a longer story or two by way of practice, but don't forget that you're unlikely to be able to sell a story if it's appeared there in any form, so using the Improving thread for 300s you've already written is perhaps a safer, and certainly more speedy, way to begin.

Go for it! If something has the creative juices going, don't let other considerations block you from finding your path. To me, the only thing worse than not doing something I want to do, is to force myself to do something I don't want to do. Go ahead and give short, romance fiction a go and good luck!

Women's Weekly Fiction Special, Yours Fiction and Take a Break Fiction Special are three magazines that I have read. As a male I need a female pen name, don't ask me why. I'll let you know once I have a story published.

Back