Does anyone else suffer from not being able to find things to watch?

Bramandin

Science fiction fantasy
Perhaps your interests could be broadened and then you may see new things that are then interesting to you.

I've known people that hate fictional content. So, they endlessly watch engineering and how-to videos and then build the things they see. Yet, would not spend one second watching anything for entertainment. even within their seemingly narrow band of interests they had infinite content fo rthe interest that they did have.

That's true. We also have passport so there is a ton of documentaries, I just keep forgetting about it because it's not in my face, but most of the time I hit youtube for artist channels. I finally figured out that my library has some things that I've been wanting to see.

JunkMonkey

Lord High Vizier of Nowt
I don’t watch telly. I watch DVDs, which I get for 50p-£1 from local charity shops.

Currently piled nearby are series 1&2 of Spaced, and Terminator 2 housed in a metal case and with a bonus disc of extras.
Plus some Simpsons and Family Guy series

Me too. In addition to the local charity shops my village has a swapshop, leave stuff - take what you want shed and people have been getting rid of DVDs like crazy over the last year or so. I picked up a seven disc Werner Herzog boxset in there the other day . I currently have about 500 DVDs in my To Be Watched pile. It's finding time to tackle the bloody thing that is frustrating me.

@Bramandin "The Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism", by the way, is based on a Poe story and is weirdly dreamlike and somewhat terrible.

mistri

I watch a lot of TV with my husband. It's probably the main activity we do together :D. And so we often run out of TV that we are both happy to watch. There just aren't enough comedies, for example. He loves Star Trek and I have loved it in the past, but find the current versions a bit tedious. I'm fussy about antiheroes - I can find it hard to root for people doing bad things (Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul) when I know there's never going to be a redemption. So yeah, fussy. But when you find something you both like - perfection! We love watching all sorts from Taskmaster (comedians doing stupid tasks) to Bridgerton (I liked season 2 best) to Severance or This is Us. It's annoying when shows end badly after years of investment though (Game of Thrones, I'm looking at you).

Bramandin

Science fiction fantasy
I watch a lot of TV with my husband. It's probably the main activity we do together :D. And so we often run out of TV that we are both happy to watch. There just aren't enough comedies, for example. He loves Star Trek and I have loved it in the past, but find the current versions a bit tedious. I'm fussy about antiheroes - I can find it hard to root for people doing bad things (Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul) when I know there's never going to be a redemption. So yeah, fussy. But when you find something you both like - perfection! We love watching all sorts from Taskmaster (comedians doing stupid tasks) to Bridgerton (I liked season 2 best) to Severance or This is Us. It's annoying when shows end badly after years of investment though (Game of Thrones, I'm looking at you).

Might I suggest watching the first episode of Happy. It's pretty much Roger Rabbit but off the deep end as far as grittiness and filth that gets worse until the climax. But
the detective cleans up a bit at the end.
I think there might have been a second season, but I didn't watch it.

Eureka and Warehouse 13 are pretty old, but they're meant to appeal to Star Trek fans; they even bring in a lot of Star Trek actors. SeaQuest DSV is like Star Trek underwater and it seems to be available on free services.

PadreTX

Supporter
I have found the more I've gotten in to writing the more critical I've become of new fiction.
I wonder about that too. With all that is read and discussed here about writing, does it make a Chronicler more critical about writing in books, TV, movies? An example: before joining Chronicles, I don't remember thinking about how a sentence could be done different. Now, I seen to do it at least once per day.

Then there's age. Someone likes more things when a child, teenager, young adult than when older adult. Like music, not enjoying todays tunes but go back and listen to the songs from decades ago.

Also, what's new would be compared to what came out this century. When I think of TV shows this century that are scifi/fantasy, I think of Game of Thrones and The Mandalorian. So many things came together in the right way on those shows. I don't see anything else nearly as good.

The Bobba Fett showed seemed to be needing Mando and Grogu come in to save the day because the writers couldn't come up with anything original.

The new Targaryan (spelling?) show trailer is giving thoughts of season 8 of GOT, not seasons 1-6; hopefully I'm wrong and it will be good.

Marvel. Don't kill popular characters (Iron Man, Black Widow), because odds are your new ones won't be as good. In fact, your new ones may be terrible, which is what happened.

magpie Asylum

I wonder about that too. With all that is read and discussed here about writing, does it make a Chronicler more critical about writing in books, TV, movies? An example: before joining Chronicles, I don't remember thinking about how a sentence could be done different. Now, I seen to do it at least once per day.

Then there's age. Someone likes more things when a child, teenager, young adult than when older adult. Like music, not enjoying todays tunes but go back and listen to the songs from decades ago.

Also, what's new would be compared to what came out this century. When I think of TV shows this century that are scifi/fantasy, I think of Game of Thrones and The Mandalorian. So many things came together in the right way on those shows. I don't see anything else nearly as good.

The Bobba Fett showed seemed to be needing Mando and Grogu come in to save the day because the writers couldn't come up with anything original.

The new Targaryan (spelling?) show trailer is giving thoughts of season 8 of GOT, not seasons 1-6; hopefully I'm wrong and it will be good.

Marvel. Don't kill popular characters (Iron Man, Black Widow), because odds are your new ones won't be as good. In fact, your new ones may be terrible, which is what happened.
It's not just being a writer, but that is a big part of it. Also shows are getting dumber and studios are less likely to take chances on new ideas. Publishers do the same thing. Just look at Hunger Games. That book was a success and was followed by more post apocalyptic authoritarian YA novels about kid revolutionaries than you could shake a stick at. the result is a flooded market and a dive in quality.

paranoid marvin

Run VT Erroll!
Supporter
There is so much great tv on BritBox that it would take a very long time just to get through the best shows. Survivors, Secret Army, 26 seasons of Doctor Who, Terrahawks, Blakes 7, Monkey, Cracker, Thunderbirds, Sapphire & Steel, The Prisoner, Joe 90, Stingray, Thunderbirds, Catweazle. The list goes on and on and on. Incredible value for the equivalent of about 20p a day .

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
Supporter
I joined a few weeks ago just to watch Blake's 7 and THHGTTG. I intend to binge Space 1999 and perhaps Sapphire and Steele after reading the thread on it, here.

Ultimately, i intend to binge all the Doctor Who.

paranoid marvin

Run VT Erroll!
Supporter
I joined a few weeks ago just to watch Blake's 7 and THHGTTG. I intend to binge Space 1999 and perhaps Sapphire and Steele after reading the thread on it, here.

Ultimately, i intend to binge all the Doctor Who.

If you like the shows above Quatermass is definitely worth checking out.

Elentarri

Fringe? I quite enjoyed it after I got past the we-will-watch-it-to-see-what-other-down-right-weird-stuff-they-can-come-up-with phase.

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
Fringe? I quite enjoyed it after I got past the we-will-watch-it-to-see-what-other-down-right-weird-stuff-they-can-come-up-with phase.

Thriller Hosted by Boris Karloff . A horror anthology series and fun to watch . Among the stories they did was an adaptation of Robert E Howard's story Pigeons From Hell and William Shatner guest stars in two very good episodes , one of them with Natalie Schafer of Gilligan's Island Fame. :cool:

Last edited:

Orcadian

Lover of hard science fiction
I find the opposite - too much stuff to watch and too little time to watch it in. Just this year you've got:
Severance, Outer Range, Better Call Saul, Tokyo Vice, Uploaded, Moon knight, Halo, Resident Alien, Russian Doll, Snowpiercer, Ozark, The Pentaverate, Reacher, Invincible
I've only heard of one of those (Resident Alien). :sneaky: I haven't had a TV for 18 years and I do not miss it at all. Partner has a TV + basic Virgin pkg - but at the weekend, when I'm at his flat, we still can rarely find anything on live TV that we both want to watch. (Occasionally there's something on catchup.) It seems to me that the 1960 - 1980s was the golden age of British TV. The offerings remained quite good while we had the 4 'terrestrial' channels only, but once everything went onto satellite & cable there was suddenly nothing worth watching unless you wanted to see a cop/detective show or a popular/family/blockbuster film. Gone were Horizon, The Ascent of Man, Chronicle, Omnibus, Arena, World in Action, Man Alive, Armchair Theatre, Play for Today and serialised versions of novels by the likes of Tolstoy, Hardy, Austen, Lawrence, Eliot, Delderfield. It was so rich and the list seems endless. Today there is nothing of this quality and depth. It is all "en-ter-tain-ment". I don't WANT entertainment - I want substance, I want to feel engaged, educated, enriched, encouraged to learn more.

Bren G

Supporter
I have found the more I've gotten in to writing the more critical I've become of new fiction. Maybe I became a snob, or maybe new media sucks its kind of hard to tell.
Agree! Agree! Agree! I totally identify!