7.12: Fear the Walking Dead - Sonny Boy

ctg

weaver of the unseen
6o2cjqs.jpg

When baby Mo goes missing inside the Tower, Dorie Sr. finds himself in a unique position to prove his worth to an increasingly paranoid Strand.

IMDB score 6.4.

"Old man. Lullabies, look in your eyes. Run around the same old town...." Might not mean much to you, but to me, old men are a diminishing resource in the Kirkman's world. Not many of them left and still kicking. So that's why the song. It is to honour Dorie Senior, "You'll be missed."

At the beginning, it didn't surprise me to find Sr talking BS to Victor. That's what old men do, when they got a plan. They talk, they annoy you until you give up, and they always have concerns. It's what they do, use the experience to get into paranoid Victor's head.

With the amount of the people he has chucked over the top is kind of unbelievable. It's a crude tale of how power goes into one's head and makes you doubt everything. The day when the karma comes to say hello cannot be far. It has been on the cards before even the Dead began rising and it is kind of surprising that he has made it all the way to be a dictator in the end of days.

June doubted that John's plan was going to go anywhere. And then Howard's "walkie" turned in during the house search.

SE8dxu0.jpg

"It wasn't mine, I swear!" That's what they all say. Funniest thing is that Victor could not count in one plus one as he came out with some wacky idea that his XO was a Morgan's mole.

"I need people who I can trust," Strand barked. "You no longer fit that description."

Who does Victor? Eventually, everyone is against you. There is no escape from what you've done. You either ride it to the glorious dawn of new future or you'll eat a bullet.

"Someone planted a walkie on me, so you'd doubt me," Howard begged.

For some reason, "It worked."

eC6Fakn.jpg

The baby. Of course Howard was one to take on the task, so he could vet himself in Victor's eyes. However, Strand wanted Sr to find the baby, "So he could finish the business."

The old hound sniffed June and got the suspect right on the first time. Yet, he had to do still the leg work and interview people. And I did find it curious that Sr said no to Howard's offer for a drink during the interview. Because of it, we got a tale of Howard being abandoned by his family, because to him career was more important than love.

You can see that interest still going on in his office/bedroom. He had nothing, and he was a jealous for all the other people for their fancy things. So when the Dead appeared, he felt himself liberated from the old school laws and norms.

Outside the room, he doesn't appear that greedy. Instead, he's more calculated and composed.

N9HJaut.jpg

Baby in a box. Sr disapproved, while June begged, "It worked before."

The surprise twist was radioactive dead flushing in with a flash flood. Trapping them with Mo in a place they could not escape. Sr wanted to take him back into the tower, while June begged for him to take Mo into the tunnel and deliver him to Morgan.

It worked. Finally, proving that not all men are stubborn mules. And because of his old man attics, both got caught. But for some reason, Howard couldn't capitulate the win. Instead, he went over the edge, by Senior's assistance. And because of it, Victor promoted him to a senior partner stage.

The old man had a very few choices, all of them included drinking so that he could come up with a plan, and find his balls to deliver Mo to Morgan. You could even say that old habits die hard and there is so much to regret.

He tried to talk sense into the dictator. Victor didn't listen. He was set in his mind of raising the child in the penthouse. Dorie had other plans. So he stunned Strand, captured Mo, and then dressed himself as man-in-arms.

bVMvLau.jpg

That setup looks so dodgy and more like how I imagine watchmen in Pratchett novels. He would make good Vimes. Great men does what needs to be done. Senior did the right thing. He kept going, even though he got bitten and faced unknown number of zombies wanting to get the baby before he could deliver him to Morgan.

Why Morgan just stood there, watching and doing nothing? Why he didn't went out to slay some of them to save the baby and the old man?

The senior Dorie's death might have seemed more heroic and tragic if he hadn't been comically dressed as the Tin Man when the walkers took him down. The nonsensical mission made his self-sacrifice seem hollow.
I don't see why this baby has become such a pivotal point in this rambling plot. Morgan won't attack the tower if the baby is inside, yet he has no qualms about trying to take the tower if more valuable members of his group are still being held there?
Victor wants sole responsibility for raising the baby within the confines of his penthouse? He couldn't make his madness more clear than if he had swapped his scout cap for a foil one.
On the plus side, Howard took the fall. Family man or not, he had it coming.

don't see why this baby has become such a pivotal point in this rambling plot. Morgan won't attack the tower if the baby is inside, yet he has no qualms about trying to take the tower if more valuable members of his group are still being held there?
It feels so scripted and not thought through. The showrunners went and claimed that they wanted Dorie Sr death hurt. Big time. But even in that, they kind of failed, because the drama was dulled down, and it felt so bonkers that it had to have come out of a writer's mind. Then again, he already knew that it was his last trip and he had to make sure that he made it to the platform, which again is so stupid idea, because with a rifle, they could snipe it.

The actors are opting out, one by one. And the thing is, I remember posting an article claiming that he wanted to stay for a couple of years in the show and take it to another level.

Victor wants sole responsibility for raising the baby within the confines of his penthouse? He couldn't make his madness more clear than if he had swapped his scout cap for a foil one.
How is he going to cope with the screaming and diaper duty?

Last edited:
Why Morgan just stood there, watching and doing nothing? Why he didn't went out to slay some of them to save the baby and the old man?
Inexplicable really. Even if he had just cleared a few from the edge with his pointy stick.
I don't see why this baby has become such a pivotal point in this rambling plot. Morgan won't attack the tower if the baby is inside, yet he has no qualms about trying to take the tower if more valuable members of his group are still being held there?
I still can't understand why they need to take the tower anyway. 'To free the baby', well okay, but that still leaves the others inside. Do you think Morgan never thought about that until Strand pointed it out?
it felt so bonkers that it had to have come out of a writer's mind.
I'm reminded of Raised by Wolves.
How is he going to cope with the screaming and diaper duty?
He isn't. He has no training and no idea. I give him a few days and he'll be begging Grace and June to help him.

• Haha
Reactions: ctg
The whole baby thing was farcical. Also Howard, any sane person would have realised the walkie was planted. Howard knew what side his bread was buttered, he wouldn't betray Strand.
Why didn't Strand throw either June, Grace or Wendell off the tower? They betrayed him, others have been killed for less. Yes they're hostages but he doesn't need all three.
Dorie Sr's death was sad but the armour made it comical.
Also Morgan not helping clear the walkers was unbelievable.

Reactions: ctg