Am I certifiable mad to want to keep on writing.

Bowler1

Senile Supporter
Supporter
Now most of you know me as the happy smiley character that I am with a liking of high powered RAY GUNS and useful farm tools, and clearly these mild character traits are nothing to worry about.

But what is the definition of madness? You don't have to go far, it can be found on a Google search in a matter of moments - see below.

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

Which brings me to writing....

I've spent an age knocking out two books that the world has failed to take notice of, but it is a busy world with lots of terrible things happening so I can understand this. However... it was still a lot of hard work for nothing and good common sense would dictate that I learn from this experience and move on to something more useful. Yet here is where the madness unfolds. I have another idea that doesn't even have RAY GUNS in, but is actual fantasy with swords of all things. It will be hard work to complete and will no doubt go un-noticed when I'm done, yet I still think this is a great idea that will lead to ever lasting fame (well, one can live in hope). If this is not the definition of madness then what is?

Accepting of course that a long term inmate is asking the lunatic asylum for their thoughts on why we're all locked up together.

Sage words my good friend, and all too true. It's a pity that my universe has a population of one so far.

The good news is that this universe has RAY GUNS in, so all is not lost.

Well, what would you be doing with yourself if you weren't writing? What's the expression... time wasted on something you enjoy doing isn't wasted at all.

Well, what would you be doing with yourself if you weren't writing? What's the expression... time wasted on something you enjoy doing isn't wasted at all.

Exactly so.

I mean, I have basically accepted the prospect that my writing will always reside in relative obscurity. It doesn't much affect my motivation. As @BAYLOR said, it is a great and profound thing to create something new, for its own sake, without worrying too much about the capriciousness of popularity. So keep on writing, my man!

Who of us hasn't written something we have never shared with the world?

" I've spent an age knocking out two books that the world has failed to take notice of. "

I'm sure they are excellent books. You obviously need to find better customers.;) That's always the tricky part.

" I've spent an age knocking out two books that the world has failed to take notice of. "

I'm sure they are excellent books. You obviously need to find better customers.;) That's always the tricky part.

Pen, don't give up. Keep trying.

Is the madness making you write? Or does the writing make you think you're mad?
There's nothing wrong with madness. Perhaps madness is even a requirement to write something the world will take note off. Besides, anything - even writing - is better than you actually starting to use your RAY GUNS because you have no other outlet.

Having said that, don´t write because you want, or think you can, become Rich & Famous. Only a happy few are that lucky. Write because you feel you have a remarkable tale to tell, regardless whether the ignorant masses recognizes it as such or not.

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
But unless you're writing the same words in the same order, over and over again, you have every right to expect a different result. :giggle:

(And just to clarify, I thought high powered RAY GUNS were useful farm tools.)

Now most of you know me as the happy smiley character that I am with a liking of high powered RAY GUNS and useful farm tools, and clearly these mild character traits are nothing to worry about.

But what is the definition of madness? You don't have to go far, it can be found on a Google search in a matter of moments - see below.

Which brings me to writing....

I've spent an age knocking out two books that the world has failed to take notice of, but it is a busy world with lots of terrible things happening so I can understand this. However... it was still a lot of hard work for nothing and good common sense would dictate that I learn from this experience and move on to something more useful. Yet here is where the madness unfolds. I have another idea that doesn't even have RAY GUNS in, but is actual fantasy with swords of all things. It will be hard work to complete and will no doubt go un-noticed when I'm done, yet I still think this is a great idea that will lead to ever lasting fame (well, one can live in hope). If this is not the definition of madness then what is?

Accepting of course that a long term inmate is asking the lunatic asylum for their thoughts on why we're all locked up together.
Sounds like a case of Bibliophilia.

It will be hard work to complete
Good man, done deal so ...reckon everyone is a bit 'mad' in our own way. It's probably part of being human and has nothing to do with mental illness. For what it's worth I reckon your books are serious works and the reaction has nothing to do with their quality.
There's an incredible amount of stuff out there at the moment. Getting people's attention is probably an art in itself -and a good distance away from your creativity. Swords and pitchforks it is;)

I suggest that writing a story and getting recognition of a story once written are two entirely different tasks. If the problem lies in the marketing approach, then that should serve as no impediment to creating a new novel. One just needs to understand how important recognition is personally and what one is willing to do to acquire it. It is likely that the marketing approach needs to change more than the writing approach.

As for me, I enjoy the process of writing and even going back and editing and rewriting a story to bring it up to my personal standards. Though I think it would be kind of neat to actually get some revenue from my stories, I'm not sure that I am ready to put in the effort to do so. Therefore, I am content to keep plodding along, putting together stories hat the readership will be counted on the fingers of one hand (excluding the thumb).

If you are mad than we all are. I write because yeah I want it to get published, read, and maybe have an impact on people, but there is another reason. I can't not create stories. Since I saw Dr Who for the first time I knew at six years old I loved stories. My imagination never stopped.....ever.

I was creating wild stories for as long as I can remember. For me it was an escape, and a way to explore. Even now if I stopped writing or creating stories and ideas it would be like losing an arm.

If I never get published sure that would suck but to never create a story that would be far worse.

I suppose writing for yourself might seem like madness to some people.
If you write for enjoyment; though, it seems that you might end up writing for yourself at first.
If your goal is to make money you might want to diversify.

However I seem to recall that some of my favorite authors have said that their first couple of books were a great hit with all three of their fans.
So maybe its just that you need to write more.

Keep writing.

It's been my impression over the years that all novelists are as crazy as a cut snake. We all know the odds of getting a best seller are in the order of a million to one, yet we continue to try for that mythical customer number. Think about it. You spend years toiling over a novel that doesn't sell. Some hack writer gets a job writing scripts for reality programs and 'earns' good money. I'm incapable of doing that and I think most novelists are the same. For one thing, our knuckles are too far off the ground. Is it disheartening to work your arse off for years only to be ignored by the world? Yes. What is wrong with these readers? Why can't they recognize talent when they read our work. Why? Why? Why?
The answer is simple. For every writer like Stephen King, there are a million (or more) who never receive any type of recognition. That's the sad reality of being a novelist.
On a personal note, I occasionally look up at the sky and say, 'My first book reads like a movie script. What the hell is wrong with Hollywood?'
Well, that issue has been discussed at length elsewhere on Chrons. I continue to write because I have to. I don't expect the world to suddenly turn nice so that I begin farting rainbows. That's not how life works. Write because you love to write. If that situation changes, stop writing.
So ends rant.