Do you find yourselves having more books to read than you can catch up with?

chongjasmine

I find myself having lots and lots of books to read, mainly in ebook form. I have very little physical books, thanks to my mum.
I find myself wishing I have more time so I can read more books.
What about you?

Yep. Science needs to get cracking so that I can live to 200 or more just at this point and, of course, by the time I got there, I'd need 400 and so on.

I would need about two years to read all the physical, unread books I own (assuming I don't add any more or reread any of them). I am not even going to count what is on the Kobo.

Yeah, i have far too many books on my TBR pile.

Choice is a nice thing to have.

Yeah, I've got way too many ebooks that I need to read.
It's made me a lot more ruthless in my reading habits, if a book doesn't grip during the first few chapters then I DNF it and delete from my device.

There's plenty good stuff out there so why put up with dross to see if it picks up?

I hate DNFing and its a rare book that I don’t finish, with the last one being Anne Leckie’s Ancillary Justice.

Most books are trusted authors or trusted recommenders with Vince and Werthead being my go to guys.

Isn't that Gutenberg's Curse upon humanity?

I have taken that for granted since high school. I have been planning to hunt him down in the afterlife for years.

Far too many books I have plans to read but there are also many more that I want to go back and reread again just to enjoy them once more.

I used to only buy books as I read them and for a long time wouldn't have had more than a couple of books I hadn't read out of several hundred on the shelves.

Then I started 'collecting' the SF Masterworks really started it and then finding old copies of authors I've read, read about etc.... now I still read a lot of what I buy but I also figure I might as well invest in my retirement hobby while I can still afford to.

I have the dual curse of being a slow reader, and also a magpie. The result is something like a ten-year backlog...
What he said, but multiply the 10 by 4.

I've been trying to ween myself of reading mainly new books and so get back to some of the older books in my collection. But a lot of new books look quite interesting, so ...

I don't have a pile of unread books but I do have a list of books I'd like to read that would be "too many to read." Strangely I'm not feeling like reading much science fiction these days. I've started a few books but either they didn't keep my interest of they didn't really thrill me that much. Memoirs from female musicians however are one of the few things that draw me in deeply these days.

When I was a student last century I got a summer holiday job in the University Library, All books were supposed to be recalled unless specially borrowed for the holiday period, and the shelves were checked to see all books were accounted for. It was depressing to realise how many books there were, and so many of them interesting as I worked my way up a ladder going through the Arts and Literature holdings. Still, I did it again next year. Now doubtless there are even more - though the Library does not keep everything. I know that I have to be selective if only for financial reasons, let alone interest.

I'd just been looking at this blog posting --

-- when I turned to Jasmine's thread.

The blog posting is written mostly with a Christian audience in mind and thus might immediately put off some Chronsfolk, but some may find it resonates with our lives, certainly with the situation we're talking about here regarding so many books to read in a life that is never more than 24 hours long in a day.

I like Jacobs' distinction between having superpowers and proper powers, by the way.

Having reached the second half of the 60s, I am coming to accept that there are not just worthwhile books but whole areas of reading and learning that I may as well forgo for the sake of others. My reading life may effectively be over in 15 to 20 years or so, even if I live for some years thereafter, due to infirmities of age. I expect to reread many favorites, to press on with certain areas of inquiry too, but there are others for which I just don't have the time; and reading is not the very most important thing, as the guy finds out in "Time Enough at Last" (the old Twilight Zone teleplay).

; and reading is not the very most important thing, as the guy finds out in "Time Enough at Last" (the old Twilight Zone teleplay
Is that the post nuclear war one where he gets a library full of books but then accidentally breaks his glasses?

Back