What's your favourite mythical creature?

Im so boring. If it's a mythical creature, it has got to be a dragon- the personification of avarice and lust. Unless it's not western. Then it could be a luck dragon or elemental <3 the elements. Think im a earth dragon by birth.

*wait, is Europe western? To me it's ALL north from here haha

Im so boring. If it's a mythical creature, it has got to be a dragon- the personification of avarice and lust. Unless it's not western. Then it could be a luck dragon or elemental <3 the elements. Think im a earth dragon by birth.

*wait, is Europe western? To me it's ALL north from here haha
It amazes me how many dragons there are. I love that you can find so many variations in fiction and across folklore. I remember I saw a video that talked about dragons from Romanian folklore called Balaurs or Balauri (I forget the plural of their name). They had at least two or more heads and there were water, land and air dwelling ones.

Maybe boring, but I've always had a thing for vampires. Never written about them, but the history is cool, too. The idea of Vlad the Impaler, who wasn't even from Tranylvania but Wallachia, and who learnt his bloodthirsty ways from the Turks. Very cool.

Frankenstein's monster.

...is a fictional creature not a mythical one with a definite, ascribable author - Mary Shelly. A mythical creature has to come from a myth - a story without an identifiable author that is widely known and is believed by many, if not all, to have some basis in truth. Doesn't have to be ancient. The Chupacabra (South American Goat Sucker is a relatively recent mythical beasty first reported in the mid ninteen-nineties.

Mine is Nessie. The Loch Ness Monster - because she's local.

Hippiesapien was a species of mankind abundant throughout the late 1960's and early 70's which , Recent discoveries indicate that this branch of humanity began rapid decline starting in 1975 and, disappeared complete from the fossil record by the early 1980's . Nobody is sure as to why though, some have theorized that it could have been as result of a dramatic political climate shift of which Hippie Sapient couldn't adapt to. :unsure:

Last edited:
I have many favorites. Dragons, griffons, basilisks, wyverns, cockatrice, chimera, firebirds, phoenix, to name a few. Lol, amusingly I just noticed that my love of reptiles seems to be bleeding over into what mythological creatures I like most :LOL:. As much as I love horses, I'm not really that much a fan of unicorns, though the pegasus is a little more interesting to me. I just find them a little one-dimensional a lot of times.

The honest politician? I'm pretty sure that being really is a mythical beast!

Failing that it has to be the dragon. I've always had a fascination with dragons, even if they are a vastly overused creature in fantasy fiction.

Medusa. A popular creature after all these centuries. Recently saw her in a commercial (problem with the commercial; I remember Medusa, but not the product).

I have always been partial to the hybrids. I kicked around the idea of writing a MC centaur that was conflicted between their horse and human halves but I wasn't in the right place at the time.