Fantasy youtubers

Yourfinallyawake

Hey everyone.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any fantasy youtubers? Just fantasy in general.

I notice there's youtubers for horror and scifi but I don't see a whole of fantasy ones.

Hey everyone.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any fantasy youtubers? Just fantasy in general.

I notice there's youtubers for horror and scifi but I don't see a whole of fantasy ones.
I watch more YT videos on writing crafts than I read books on craft, I must say. So yes, I know a lot of youtubers. I'll summarize the list to the three best ones.

Shadiversity is a Medieval History buff who analyzes pop culture to debunk medieval misconceptions.
He really knows what he’s talking about. If you want more realism and precise language in your medieval writing, he’s your go-to guy. Brandon Sanderson is reportedly a fan, and he uses the channel to write better medieval equipment.

Hello Future Me is the best youtuber when it comes to fantasy writing craft (despite his name). Pretty much all his videos are useful, but I think you’re looking for his On Writing Playlist.

Tale Foundry delves a lot into worldbuilding, and gives a lot of inspiration when creating your worlds.

There’s a lot more, of course, but I think these are the ones really worth subscribing to, and they’re the ones who specialize in Fantasy, as you asked. You could also follow Daniel Greene, who publishes a “Fantasy News” video every week, or Diane Callahan. But they’re not as good as the other ones.

Last edited:
Daniel Greene for fantasy.

When it comes to SF, I find bookpilled gives great reviews and recommendations. He seems to like the older stuff (like me).

And the Critical Drinker for movies.
I second Daniel Greene. I'm not really into Fantasy but I like the cut of his jib and I find him entertaining. He also branches out into other genres - SF and Horror. I do avoid most of his reviews. But then I avoid practically all reviews on every medium.

Not really into Shadiversity. I've heard some of his writing and I thought it was pants. Plus the Yootoobs is full of medieval reconstructionists.

Oh, to add another one that tickles my fancy: Alt Shift X for Games of Thrones (or his nemesis Alt Schwift X - if you want a 7 hour A Song of Ice and Fire Theory Iceberg. I didn't know I needed that - but I did.)

Last edited:
I watch more YT videos on writing crafts.....

I tried that. There were a handful that made some pretty good points, although 9 minutes in every 10 is spent on statements of the obvious. After a while I looked at some of the work these so-called experts had produced themselves and.....well, lets just say I don't watch them anymore.

Last edited:
these so-called experts had produced themselves and.....well, lets just say I don't watch them anymore.
Absolutely this!

I don't mind Youtubers using their platform to sell books, services or merchandise but if a writing channel solely seems to be a platform for an upcoming novel it can come across as one dimensional and usually is padded with generic advice - that as you say, the author does not really seem to pay attention to in their own work!

I tried that. There were a handful that made some pretty good points, although 9 minutes in every 10 is spent on statements of the obvious. After a while I looked at some of the work these so-called experts had produced themselves and.....well, lets just say I don't watch them anymore.
The same happened to me... but with books on craft! :ROFLMAO: I prefer watching obvious things than reading obvious things. I just sit back and relax.

Now about their work being bad... this is not endemic to writing. MBA professors are not rich businessmen. Music teachers are often frustrated musicians. The theory is the same for everybody, but the praxis is something else!

You could check out Tale Foundry. I found it a while back and love the channel. There's videos on parts of writing like world building but a lot of their videos look at fantasy and fantasy books. It's the one I thought of when I saw this thread.

I'm wary of anything purporting to be factual on Youtube. I'm sure many are great, but there's too much error and political propaganda.