Non Bio
Staff member
-----------------------------
Creating topic, remember you
can only discuss this episode
inside this topic. Reviews of
the episode are encouraged
-----------------------------

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds premiered on Paramount+ in the US on May 5, 2022.

...its first 10-episode season is running through July 7. It has received positive reviews from critics for its episodic storytelling approach and cast. A second season is in production.

Since it isn't available to stream legally in the UK and therefore difficult to watch (without shelling out significant amounts of money) @BAYLOR @REBerg @Alexa @LostCosmonaut @Droflet , what was the first episode like?

I've seen the first episode. Overall, I think it's a step in the right direction - but it still feels Star Trek Discovery dumb to me.

They're very obviously trying to recreate some of the dynamics of original Trek - camaraderie, the core relationship of the main characters - the friendship between captain, chief science officer, number one / chief medical officer. They've taken a leaf from old trek in the story lines it seems judging by the plot of this first episode. I'm glad that they're orientating back towards exploration as the core of the show, rather than apocalyptic universe ending disasters. It would be nice if it was actually episodic, rather than season long story arcs that I'm getting bored of.

Spock has the voice down - eyes closed he sounded like Nimoy at times. The vulcans, however, seem to have entirely abandoned logic in favour of just being somewhat repressed and passive aggressive.

Agreed on the modern lingo - it seems out of place and dates it too easily. I wish they'd do away with the lens flares and over exposed cinematography of Abrams era Trek.

I had a real problem with the messaging in this episode, though. People have commented on how Kurtzman trek is a betrayal of Roddenbury's vision for the future, and I think the message of this episode is very much so, and it almost feels like it could have taken place in the mirror universe with how the story concludes - even though the writers clearly intend this to be in our universe. It makes me wonder if they even get Star Trek at all.

I liked the premiere, but it will take more time for me to get comfortable with it than it would take for a typical new series.
Through the newer films and other Trek series, I've grown accustomed to new actors playing iconic original characters, but accepting a whole new crew aboard NC-1701 is another thing. A mustachioed Lt. Kirk might prove exceptionally difficult to accept.
The string of character debuts distracted me from the plot to the extent that I'll need to rewatch the episode to get a more focused take on it.

A mustachioed Lt. Kirk might prove exceptionally difficult to accept.

To be fair, that's how Shatner played him in TOS.

latest

To be fair, that's how Shatner played him in TOS.

latest
I forgot about that episode in which he protected the Prime Directive by beaming down disguised as a 20th-century adult film star. ;)

EDIT: Aha! So "Lt. Kirk" here is the brother, Sam, not the future legendary Enterprise captain? I can handle that.

Last edited:
Yes, it's Samuel Kirk who later get's killed by a flying plastic ray fish. Sorry: Spoiler alert there!

So, before Kirk, the "Prime Directive", "General Order Number One", the thing that a Captain gives his oath to lay down his own life and the life of his crew not to break, is broken on an almost daily basis, it seems. Everybody did it. It's only in TNG where Picard has a problem with it's non-application. Then back to Janeway in VOY, who breaks it again in the Delta Quadrant six times before breakfast! And she gets promotion to Admiral.

Emergency Medical Transporter in the Enterprise Sickbay? Scotty had to jury-rig a site-to-site transport from the Bridge to Sickbay to save a life. Why didn't he just use the existing facilities? If they are going to start retconning the Enterprise, I won't be happy with this series. You think I'm being pedantic, I know, but I role play the Captain of a TOS movie-era ship. I want to keep anachronisms out of the role-play, but it has become increasingly difficult with shows like Enterprise, Discovery and now, Brave New Worlds because they keep retconning Star Trek canon, or worse still, they just don't know it at all.

I'm gonna be honest, I'll give it a try but I've become indifferent to Star Trek. Much like Dr Who I think modern writers have either missed the concept of nuance or just thrown it out completely.
Science fiction at least good Sci Fi along the lines of Dr Who, Star Trek, and the more exploratory works asked questions and didn't give you the answers. The simple action of leaving the audience with a question to ponder long after the story was over was hugely impactful.
That is what made us think. That is what made us wonder and question.
Darmak and Jalad wouldn't have been a great story if half way through Picard figured everything out, saved the other captain, taught him common English and signed them to the federation by the end of the story. D&J made us question culture, language, presumed bias'. It made us wonder about other cultures that share similar stories and what else we had in common.

This was the standard for Sci Fi for a very long time. It was one of the defining factors of Sci Fi.

Discovery opens its episodes with hitting you in the face with the answer and if you question that you are wrong. That doesn't teach anything. it doesn't make us wonder. It makes the entire story a referendum not a journey.

That's just my opinion as always I could be wrong.

Yes, it's Samuel Kirk who later get's killed by a flying plastic ray fish. Sorry: Spoiler alert there!

So, before Kirk, the "Prime Directive", "General Order Number One", the thing that a Captain gives his oath to lay down his own life and the life of his crew not to break, is broken on an almost daily basis, it seems. Everybody did it. It's only in TNG where Picard has a problem with it's non-application. Then back to Janeway in VOY, who breaks it again in the Delta Quadrant six times before breakfast! And she gets promotion to Admiral.

Emergency Medical Transporter in the Enterprise Sickbay? Scotty had to jury-rig a site-to-site transport from the Bridge to Sickbay to save a life. Why didn't he just use the existing facilities? If they are going to start retconning the Enterprise, I won't be happy with this series. You think I'm being pedantic, I know, but I role play the Captain of a TOS movie-era ship. I want to keep anachronisms out of the role-play, but it has become increasingly difficult with shows like Enterprise, Discovery and now, Brave New Worlds because they keep retconning Star Trek canon, or worse still, they just don't know it at all.

Ah yes, the joke shop fake plastic vomit aliens in Operation Annihilate. Reenforcing this, one of the of landing party members looking at one of the aliens utters the line " It doesn't look real." This come under the heading of " Oh My God they're being menaced by very bad props ! " :D

Last edited:
Just finished watching it with my friends, about half an hour ago. I was pleasantly surprised. I went in expecting something a little bit better than Discovery, and what I got was a really excellent hour of television, of a quality that I thought Star Trek couldn't make anymore. The characters were a delight to watch on screen, and the plot hit a lot of the classic Trek beats. Anson Mount makes a fine captain. I like how they wove Pike's dread of his inevitable death throughout the episode. Visually, the show succeeds with its somewhat retro interior design, though the Enterprise itself could still have used some more work.

I do think that the incorporation of present-day politics was way too on-the-nose. It's just bad form, and probably won't age well, to show literal news footage in a sci-fi show set far in the future. That said, I like the overall conflict with the alien species prematurely developing warp technology and then using it in a sectarian conflict.

Will the following episodes be as good? My honest guess is that Strange New Worlds will be like Voyager, with a standout pilot followed by a period of mediocrity before the show finds its feet again. That said, I am very excited to see where this one goes. It feels surprisingly like a return to form!

Re-watched this last night.
The premiere does transmit the vibe of the original series, which should appeal to longtime Trek fans as well as franchise newbies. I got the same nostalgic feelings watching The Orville.
I hope the format does not stray into the into the long, murky plot territory of Discovery and Picard. I much prefer a string of strange new world adventures to an all-season menacing threat.

The costumes look good-I like the attempt to retro upgrade the women uniforms to be 60s-style and yet more "official."

The new Gorn looks horrible.

I had the good fortune to travel this weekend and BA had the first three episodes and i watched them with much enjoyment. The pilot was a story told many times before, but given what is going on at the moment, perhaps a timely reminder of what we stand to loose.

Despite what i felt to be some heavy handed politics initially, this soon melted away as i got further into the story, i found that i actually really liked the characters. I found Cadet Uhura to be especially enjoyable and Pike is a good leading man. I'm struggling with Ortega, but i'm sure i'll warm to her eventually.

I agree with KGeo77 and the costumes were well done. I also think this has been my favourite intro of any of the Star Trek shows. A great start.

I'm having difficulty watching things, even reading at the moment. I thought I'd see if this sparked concentration. Have to say so far enjoyable. Not impressed with the emergency medical transporter,the original never had one but its a minor complaint, I'm just happy I've found something that captures my attention.

I binge watched the entire first season . Great writing , great cast , A Wonderful show :cool:

Back