Star Trek: Strange New Worlds trailer

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
A trailer for the new ST series:

Left feeling a little uncommitted by what was offered - we have STNG tech in a setting before TOS, a big focus on visuals and a captain who talks like a modern groovy teen. I dunno - it just doesn't say "Star Trek" in the traditional sense, more like the Discovery sense.

Would love to be able to form my own opinion, but unless it's on Amazon Prime I won't be able to!

Droflet

I don't teach chickens how to dance.
I saw the first episode last night. Not bad but there's room for improvement. Says I. :unsure:

LostCosmonaut

I'm about to watch that with some friends! I doubt that it will fully be able to shake off the problems of modern Trek, but the trailer certainly promised a sense of optimism and fun.

Mon0Zer0

Supporter
I've seen the first episode. Overall, I think it's a step in the right direction - but it still feels Star Trek Discovery dumb to me.

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
It's probably just me, but La'an, both in appearance and voice, strikes me as a young version of Drummer in The Expanse.
I had that problem in the first few episodes, but by the third episode I'd forgotten about Drummer. Christina Chong has also done a lot of other TV work, some of which I hadn't realised was her - Monroe, Line of Duty, Halo: Nightfall, Black Mirror, Doctor Who, and 24: Live Another Day.

REBerg

Registered Alien
Supporter
I Googled Chong to check for a relationship to Gee. Nada. Still, they may share distant branches on the same family tree. ;)