May 2022 Reading Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a good read in any complete edition and does not need illustrations. However, have you seen the editions illustrated by N. C. Wyeth and Mervyn Peake? You could say each shows its artist at his best.
Not sure I have, though the book I'm reading is the Collins Olive Classics edition, published in 1951, and it does have good line drawings by Arnold Beauvais.

I've seen some of the Treasure Island drawings in different editions but I can't help but visualize (and hear - arrr!) Robert Newton as Long John from the 1950 film

William Tenn "Time in Advance"
Four stories first published 1952-57
Better than average 50s fare.

Finished Star Alliance by Ken Lozito. Another satisfactory SF Space Opera in the Ascension Series. The first good news about this is that it is not a closet romance. There is some romantic tension between the leads but it is never the main thrust of the story (no double entendre intended) and seldom the chief mover in a plot development. And also to the positive, at least in my opinion, the ESP continues to be important but not overdone.

Also finished Dead Against Her by Melinda Leigh, one of my go to authors for my murder mystery fix. This is book five in the Bre Taggert Novels. One of the things I thoroughly enjoy about these stories is the commitment the main characters feel to their job, their mate, their family, their town, etc. There is almost none of this disposable modern lifestyle seen in these books. Also, I rarely figure out the "who done it" before the reveal. I suppose I'm slow.

Finished: The Evolution of Everything: How Small Changes Transform Our World by Matt Ridley.
Not a perfect book but it provides food for thought.

I am about to start Dangerous Visions and New Worlds: Radical Science Fiction, 1950-1985 (2021) edited by Andrew Nette and Iain McIntyre. It collects two dozen article by various people on the general topic of New Wave speculative fiction, defined pretty broadly. There are also shorter pieces between the main essays dealing with the same theme. In addition, there are lots and lots of images of paperback book covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.