May / June 100 Word Anonymous Challenge 2022

Elevated Hazard

The view from the space-elevator was fabulous. It had cost Patrick a small fortune to hire a private carriage for the 5-day lift. Sedately rising towards space-station Armstrong, they had just cleared the Van Allen belt and retracted the window-shielding. Earth, considerately shrunk, was a bright sphere amidst countless pinpricks. Its reflected light could still illuminate the carriage.
“Earth looks so vulnerable,” Patrick observed, fumbling for the ring in his pocket.
“It does,” Jane whispered.
He sank on one knee, “Jane, will you...”
CRACK! A large micrometeorite struck the window. The escaping air shrieked.

The legend of Commander Fidelma Gungbellow
  • The three astronauts began to accelerate.
  • Their rocketship broken and useless.
  • Captured by Spondle’s gravity.
  • A fiery death awaited.
  • They had nothing left but conversation.
‘It was a privilege to have crewed for Commander Gungbellow.’

‘Whadya mean Gil? This is all her fault.’

‘Nobody’s perfect Charlie.’

‘Perfect?, she was an idiot …we’re just gonna slingshot round this gas giant -ya couldn’t make it up.’

Lads, I’m still alive.

‘You’re just jealous Charlie, she was a trailblazer.’

I’m not dead yet.

‘We’ll have to disagree Gill, mostly because she’s trailblazed us to our doom.’

‘Well, I’ll always consider her a genius.’

Seeking Out New Life

After just a day in command, already having doubts about his new crew, Captain Crick was called to the bridge after an object was detected.

"Put it on main screen!" he said, sitting in the comfy Captain’s chair. "What is it?"

"Life, Captain, but not as we know it," replied Pocks. "Unfortunately, I can't determine if its large and a long way away or small and much closer."

"Well," replied Crick impatiently, "If its ten light years wide when will we hit it?"

"Not in our lifetime Captain."

"And if its one mile across?"

"In about half a sec____"

Perfect Team​

The objective, steal the heart. A classic heist one may say, and a team of the best thieves in Eliho.

Infiltrating the skyscraper was professionally achieved. The private flying vehicle left us directly and precisely at the floor we needed to go.

The party had already started, and we mixed perfectly with the participants due to our polymorphic skills.

The heart was stolen. The team ran from the scene. Some were killed in the process, but I always survive.

My perfect team of androids never fails a job. And finally, with this heart, I will understand the human perspective

The incredible filmmaking of Brack Bongalongalong

• Galactic film executive Chug Zapamovieon had been delighted.
  • Convincing acclaimed director Brack Bongalongalong to work with him was a remarkable feat.
  • But then art took over.
  • And things started to go wrong:

'It's trditional Martian practice to eat their offspring when threatened', explained Brack, 'to prevent invaders enslaving them.'

'Yes, but six hours of footage? I'm not sure anyone would watch that, and it's smudged.'

'Not smudges Chug. Dust uronticles. Martians will get the reference.'

'But how do they help with the plot?'

'I've decided we don't need a plot.'

'Then what's the point.'

'Exactly Chug, exactly. That's the spirit.'

Death is too good for them.

"Death is too good for them," said poet one.
"Why," said poet two.
"They don't understand the perspective of the piece," replied poet one.
"We are travelling through space and the continuum does upset one's perspective," said poet two.
"They didn't get into rhythm and rhyme of the piece either," continued poet one.
"Travelling upsets most people," said poet two.
"I read the poem just at the right pitch," said discontented poet one.
"Perhaps you are right, death is too good for them," said light-hearted poet.

A door opened and five hundred people and two poets drifted into space.

Jonathan Jones' Quest

Jonathan Jones’ obsession with vanishing points remains forever a mystery. However, his hunt for that spot on the horizon, where all lines come together and vanish, has defined his life.
He did not seem disturbed or deluded, but always rational and ready to apologise profusely when he was, once again, being removed from a railroad track. Yet he never explained the Why.
Though not dissimilar from how others chased rainbows in the expectation to find a pot of gold at their base, his quest differentiated in one astounding respect; Jonathan Jones found what he was looking for. And vanished.

You can vote for your 3 choices in the Voting Thread here . It will be open for the next 6 days. Only mark your 3 favourite titles.
Any other comments go in the discussion thread here. Remember to keep the stories anonymous until the voting ends.