May / June 100 Word Anonymous Challenge 2022

A Simple Matter of Scaling Matter

The vessel shuddered and hummed, surrounded by vast emptiness. It reminded her of interstellar space. “Incredible.”

“Cut the chatter, Doc. Nav, what’s your heading?”

“Twenty-seven by thirty-nine by point zero seven and holding, Captain.”

“Excellent. Ok Doc, looks like we’re in business. Proceed.”

Dr. Symbian acknowledged and set to work, amazed that the miniaturization technology had worked. In all her life she’d never imagined seeing an atom from the inside, an atom relatively the size of a galaxy. As they traversed the energized electron cloud, she activated her quantum instruments, ready to explore the realm of the very small.

Fooling the Gomboonians

Our plan had been simple.

Get drunk on space grog up at the Zermat observatory, and everyone take a roboshuttle home after.

But somehow I ended up on planet Gomboon.

Where humans are hated.

Luckily for me Gomboonians are terrible at logic.

'Prepare to die human!', roared the patrol.

'Hold on a minute’, I counter-roared, ‘Think about this. I'm not here. No human would be stupid enough to visit Gomboon'.

'Hmmm, that human's right -nobody would ever be stupid enough to do that', they agreed.

Truth Within

”You gotta see this mirror I found.”

“Who cares.”

“This mirror is different. It shows your image as a teenager.”

“Bull****.”

“Come on.”

#

“We’re supposed to be collecting dirt samples from this habitable planet. Is that the f***ing mirror?”

“Look at yourself.”

“Is this a damn joke? I look like a monster. How come you look like a kid?”

“Do you know what this means? This mirror shows the inner self of a person.”

“What!? That’s crazy!”

“We're bringing this back to Earth. Think of the...HEY! Don’t throw that rock!”

SMASH!

“F*** that mirror. I ain’t a bad person.”

The view from Space

Mission Commander Catherine Spudlehoosen stared out of the engineering room window. It was the biggest onboard. And wasted on engineers.

‘Isn’t that incredible’, she noted.

‘It sure is. Eight seconds faster than planned’, agreed the chief engineer.

‘Not the ship, the view of Centarus-A’

Didn’t think a superluminal crankshaft could run so smooth.’

‘It’s infinitely complex.’

Not really, the main drive bearings have been in use on the Andromeda run for years.’

‘Whadya think, are we the only sentient creatures in the Universe?’

Probably …and if we added a second drive we could knock another six seconds off the trip.’

It All Depends On Where You're Standing

Everyone on Earth remembers the day the oceans dried up. Or should that be emptied?
The sudden darkness as a colossal spaceship appeared above the Pacific.
The destructive tsunamis created by vast pipes plunged into the ocean.
The deafening roar as almost all Earth's seas were siphoned away.
A planet destroyed. All in one day.

Earlier that day, on board...
"Hello control. We've detected a planet brimming with hydrogen oxide. Our calculations indicate there will be enough to replace our world's supply and revitalise the ecosphere. ... OK. We'll start at once."
A planet saved. All in one day.

Perspectives on rivalry

“Brunelleschi, are you competing me for the Baptistery commiss… Oh, that painting looks magical!”
“It’s a new technique, Ghiberti. It’s called perspective.”
“Persper…? Never mind. It looks like you can step right into it.”
“You could, I suppose. If I had made it man-sized.”
“Seriously? That is magical! I commission you to paint such a tall… window.”
“A window onto what? I could paint you anything you wish.”
“Oh! Let me think...”

---

“Brunelleschi, have you seen Ghiberti?”
“No-o-o...”
“Why are you painting over that wonderful view of old Jericho?“
“Didn’t like it. Now, about the Baptistery commission…”

More dragons.

When I joined fresh from school, nobody had ever seen a dragon.They had been considered long extinct, if not completely mythological. Whereas now it seems you can't draw a curtain withou t one or two passing.

Not that I believe they're all the same. They must be symbionts. No species could manage that much sexual dimorphism. The smaller flying ones, and the enormous snarling ground crawlers that flame just can't be males and females of the same race, or lavae and imagos.

But they're pretty scary, even if they're sociable enough to get on together.

Dual Reality

She finished watering the flower beds while enjoying the songbirds and started pruning plants when she was shoved.

“Hay! Take that VR suit off. Our weapons just got upgraded; we’re coordinating our attack!”

Around them was the chaos of robots, aliens, laser blasts and explosions.

“Na, I’ll stay here. Have fun!” She put her VR helmet back on.

“VR junky!”

Now back to realty, she thought to herself. All was just as it should be, with one addition.

“Cool! Time to trim the lawn with a push mower, my favorite.” She said while sipping a glass of iced cold lemonade.

To Look Up or Not To Look Up

“You heard? That asteroid will hit us in 8 months time.”
“Says who? Maybe it will change course.”
“Asteroids can´t steer where they’re going.”
“Seriously? That’s stupid. Totally irresponsible.”
“Yes, very.”
“Let NASA do something about it.”
“It’s too massive to deviate. We’re doomed.”
“What an awful pessimistic way of looking at things. We kicked climate-change in the *ss!”
“Hardly. We merely ran out of fossil fuels.”
“See? Problems solve themselves.”
“Your outlook is lacking realism.”
“You imagine problems everywhere.”
You think problems are imaginary.”
My imaginations are upbeat.”
“I know. That’s why I love you.”
“Love you too.”

The Perspective 3000

In sadness, you turn away from the window, from another toxic deadly day outside. Soon every day will be like this. That commercial is on holovisual again; the one for the Personal Spectral Hive, the Perspective 3000 they call it. ‘Live a full life from the safety of your home!’ says the man from Blue Pill Corporation, smiling. A lady is putting it on; attaching electrodes and sliding it over her head. Next thing, she is running on a beautiful beach with a man beside her, friendly, handsome, laughing. Sighing, you reach for your payment card.

The style of Bubbalong Jetpack

Addictaclick CEO Bubbalong Jetpack gestured angrily at a projection of employees on his office holoviewer.

'Why is that woman wearing a suit?'

Probably because she wanted to. You told me to tell staff they are free to dress however they like. To show the world that Addictaclick is open and progressive', reminded his Roboassistant.

'I did, but tell her not like that. Progressive people dress casually.'

'Like the fella stripped to the waist eating a Curlywurly?'

'Definitely not. Casual is beige slacks with a white shirt.’

‘You mean like you?’

'Yes, open and progressive. Make them dress exactly like me.'

The Experiment

“Support and brain waves are stable.”

“Anesthesia perhaps?”

“No. Professor assures no need of it. Let’s retire to the study as to complete the algorithms for the required nano bots in stitching Professors brain to the spinal cord of his new body.”

“Bag o’ mystery!”

“Indeed. Let’s enjoy some Brandy in celebration.”

What is this place? No light, sound or sensations of any kind? Am I dead or alive? A dream? I feel no pulse nor am I breathing yet, I have thoughts in a state of dark, weightless nothingness. Scream man! Scream for them to stop this madness! Scream!

Incoming

The Control room was tense. The Sagittarius battle was not going well.

"Our fighter craft are green on the new targeting radar and the enemy are red," I explained to Commander Randall.
"Well, things had better improve Captain or we will revert to the old system."

The results with the new battle system had been a bit random, with as many 'friendly fire' hits as successes. Our own fighters were being shot down on return from battle as well as incoming enemy.

The gun aimer looked a bit sheepish.
I watched him for a while.
"You're colour blind aren't you."

The Ballonnicles of Flimp

Galactic explorer Brag Armstrong was feeling happy.
Flimp was his third planet of the morning.
And he’d only had to discharge his blaster twice that day.

‘Tell me something about the inhabitants here’, he ordered Winglezub, his trusty sidekick/ cultural advisor.

The Ballonnicles?, not much to say, except that they are deadly…’

Brag whipped out his weapon and dived for cover; ‘Move ‘zub, I think I saw one in the bushes.’

‘I doubt it.’

‘Whaddya mean? Are there none around here?’

They’re here alright, you just won’t see them.'

‘Why?’

‘Because, like I was saying ...they are deadly at hiding.’

Arachnid
There are a few advantages to being a spider.

Hanging from an invisible thread and observing is infinitely preferable to being chased round the bathroom with a fly swat, or flushed down the plughole.

To a creature with one eye light light reveals a two dimensional universe, height and width. An extra stereoscopic organ adds depth. So what can my visual octet reveal to me?

Almost 360 degrees of solid angle, only blocked out by my bulging abdomen - scuttle, compound eyes, once they were like you.

Now they're part of me me.

The universe unfolds with food.

A Who-le New Perspective

"I've been thinking."

"Again?!"

"We're the supreme beings in the galaxy..."

"Correct."

"...so how come we keep losing?"

"It's the Doctor's fault, isn't it? Interfering in our machinations."

"That's another thing."

"What now?"

"Well, the Doctor's so kind, always helping others."

"So?"

"Why can't we be like that, instead of exterminating everyone?"

"Because that's what Daleks do, idiot - exterminate people."

"That's kind of my point. Anyway, I've decided; I'm volunteering to be one of the Doctor's companions."

"A Dalek as a companion? That's ridiculous!"

"They need to do something to improve the ratings."

"True."

"Then intergalactic adventures here I come!"

The Tie

Hair is good. Suit is in order. Not sure about the tie.

I just installed the new 3D Holographic Reflector and was getting ready for my morning presentation to the Board. I was amazed at the clarity of the image and the accuracy of my reflected movements, except for that tie.

“Williams! Please bring some coffee, it’s getting late.”

I retrieved a light blue chambray from the wardrobe and returned to the Reflector for a better view.

“That’s correct. Only one day and the clone is thinking for itself.”

Why is my hologram talking to the vid-phone?

Point of yew

The great cedar on its mound had been planted when St. Simon of the Rocks was new, as a lightning conductor. A lighting rod added when the steeple was repaired several centuries back has removed this need, but though it still overtowers everything.it's not the oldest, not even the senior evergreen.

A hollow yew was already there when the foundation stone was laid, low and spreading, offering shelter for a picnic of twelve. Rumour states that some of the initials carved into its bark were among the first missionaries - but it never tells the secrets it's observed.

Thank yew.

Orbital
With the TV off it seems so peaceful; you might doubt the wars, intolerance and hatred.

Obviously, not if you'd grow up there, your sister had been gang raped by the police squad out to find her.

Not if one child in three died of pollution, and your beautiful daughter had been one of them.

Not after the suicide of your wife, incapable of accepting the facts.

Space tourism. Nothing better to do with your savings.

Blue and tranquil against the stars, what has Earth become?

They haven't enough guards to force you back.

Or supplies to feed you.

Beyond the Jungle

Gaines met Torg in the jungles of Ishtar. Torg was among the few Goldskins remaining on the planet. Contact between Goldskins and humans showed promise, and Gaines, eventually mastering their language, made a great impression.

Torg had never been outside the thick jungle, so when Gaines offered him a tour of the plains, he jumped at the chance.

After a few miles in the skimmer, Torg asked to take control. Gaines obliged; Goldskins were fast learners.

A stampede of elephantine beasts appeared in the distance. Torgo sped towards them, eager to observe the "little bugs."

Gaines cried too late.