May / June 100 Word Anonymous Challenge 2022 Discussion Thread

WHAT THEY’RE REALLY THINKING - a diabolical devolution

A Change Of Perspective - too bad we discover the pointlessness after it’s too late

The Perspective 3000 - the grass is always greener in the VR (I usually don’t like second person but this worked for me)

I definitely think this particularly popular challenge highlighted a few things for us. We may not always get an abundance of entries, especiallly with plans to go to a 4 week Challenge, but now we know we can handle it. The shorter submission time allows for a more flexible voting time , if needed.
I love the enthusiasm and creativity our participants have. The freedom to submit different takes on a theme is a nice spin, and it gives a chance to spy a common style that may help ID an author when it comes to guessing (cough, cough.....AnRoinnUltra) :whistle:

The enormous number of entries makes voting extremely difficult. I could have gone with three others very easily. Anyway, I have voted.
There must be an algorithm we can use to determine the number of votes given the number of submissions and authors.
Less authors = more votes needed
More stories = more votes needed
Again, we are evolving as we go.

There must be an algorithm we can use to determine the number of votes given the number of submissions and authors.
Less authors = more votes needed
More stories = more votes needed
Again, we are evolving as we go.
I feel simpler is better. Regardless of the number of votes available, I find that I always have a subjective, almost arbitrary, cut off line. Having dynamic voting numbers isn't going to change that. Let's just keep it simple and fun for everyone.

If a writer is inspired and wants to submit multiple stories, then great. Isn't inspiring writers the main purpose of these challenges? As a reader, I find it enjoyable to take an hour or two and read through the entries in one go. It's a nice break from other things and it's interesting to see different approaches to a common prompt. I also enjoy looking at the voting results and comparing my votes and short list to the voting by others. I usually find my tastes seem to be outliers, which is sort of cool.

I do not believe that using an algorithm to determine number of votes would enhance any of this. So just go with the simplest thing that could work.

I have the luxury of reading the entries multiple times--as they come in, and again now.
Short list:
Relativity
The Problem with Bothan Stew
Nudge
Votes:
In Between
nootropics in the afternoon
The Perspective 3000

Not so many voting as normal. Thank you to @elvet for all your hard work.

By the way I have voted.

The average over the last 5 Challenges is abut 22 voters. The most was 27, the least 16.

So far we've had 18, so hopefully with 1.5 days to go we should get another 4.

As for voting, I agree to either stick with 2 or 3. What you don't want (when there are so many entries) is 5 or 6 tied on 2 votes each. With 3 votes, not only are you more likely to get a clear winner, it also allows the chance for more recognition for entrants to the Challenge.

With this being the last voting day, I'll keep track of the voting tallies here:

4 Votes:
Blood runs deeper than oil
nootropics in the afternoon
Rebel without a clue.
Silva Locus

3 Votes:
Comatose
In Between
The View from Space
The Night Shift
Nudge

2 Votes: