May / June 100 Word Anonymous Challenge 2022 Discussion Thread

But what happens in the future when this challenge becomes so popular and hundreds of people want to enter ;)

Anyway, if I know software, and I do, there will be a setting somewhere to allow more than 65 entries in a poll. It might not be available to the site's administrators, but the programmers of the software will know where it is. We probably just have to supply cake to make it happen :p
I'm still waiting on a mod who may know more about changing the limit.
There are 2 people who are tied for submitting the most amount of stories. Do both remove a story?
If I don't get an answer by the end of the day, I will call the Challenge closed at the assigned time, and see what the mods have to say.
Otherwise, this may be the best alternative:
Another alternative would be open a new thread, and we cast our votes by naming our choices rather than clicking a 'vote' button. These are added up manually at the end of the voting.
I will ask for a second to help tally votes, if we go this route.

There are 2 people who are tied for submitting the most amount of stories. Do both remove a story?
Neither or both. You could start by asking these 2 people if they are willing to remove a story of their choice.
If not, you can go for the other option of creating an extra thread. But that involves a lot more work and is a bit messy.
If I don't get an answer by the end of the day, I will call the Challenge closed at the assigned time, and see what the mods have to say.
If we're lucky it's setting that is waiting to be cranked up.

Do both remove a story?
Seems fair. Might be good to see if the settings can be changed for the future though -65 seems arbitrary so I'm guessing it can (easy to say without having to do the digging!). Anyways, fair play again @elvet (y)

But what happens in the future when this challenge becomes so popular and hundreds of people want to enter ;)

Anyway, if I know software, and I do, there will be a setting somewhere to allow more than 65 entries in a poll. It might not be available to the site's administrators, but the programmers of the software will know where it is. We probably just have to supply cake to make it happen :p

Just give us the code and we’ll fix it.

I think that limiting the time the Challenge runs will help with less entries, though I also think that lots of participation is sort of the point of any Challenge. I hate to limit people's imagination, especially as this is the only challenge to allow an author multiple takes on a theme.

If 65 turns out to be a hard, non-configurable stop, what about limiting the challenge to the first 65 entries? In this case the last one or two (whatever gets it down to 65) would have to be removed from the challenge.

If 65 turns out to be a hard, non-configurable stop, what about limiting the challenge to the first 65 entries? In this case the last one or two (whatever gets it down to 65) would have to be removed from the challenge.
I don't think it is fair to that last person, as it officially looks like I have 66 entries in total.
Lets see what tomorrow brings.

This mornings update:
I have had offers of stories withdrawals from different participants. Personally, I don't like that solution.
I have not heard back from the moderators about the possiblility of changing the Poll number yet.
We should wait a bit longer, in case that is still a possibility.

We have the time, so no problem there.
If the mods can't change the poll limit, then we could perhaps use the available time to have 2 poll-sessions.
The first with, say 60 entries, lasting 5 days or so. And next a poll all entries minus the entries that got no votes in the first round.
This way no entries need to be withdrawn. Downside; it takes two poll sessions in 2 weeks time.

Last edited:
The record number of entries was 75, for the seventy-five word challenge in April 2012. However, we've changed servers since then.

I fear I've no experience in polls, bu have you approached Brian directly? I know, got plenty on his plate already, but he is the one who knows most about these matters.

My response. I contacted The Judge, who in turn asked Ursa.

I've actually dropped a note in the Staff Room thread asking Brian T about it, since neither Paul nor I can do anything about it ourselves, if indeed it's possible to change it. But as a result of his ill-health Brian isn't here every day, and not able to do much when he is here, so I can't say when -- or indeed if -- he'll be able to look at the problem.

Frankly, I think your best bet is to pull one of the entries this time around and if the limit can't be changed then come up with plans for further challenges -- that will save you having to spend time counting up votes posted on a thread.

I replied to not bother Brian T with this. We will sort it ourselves.

We have the time, so no problem there.
If the mods can't change the poll limit, then we could perhaps use the available time to have 2 poll-sessions.
The first with, say 60 entries, lasting 5 days or so. And next a poll all entries minus the entries that got no votes in the first round.
This way no entries need to be withdrawn. Downside; it takes two poll sessions in 2 weeks time.
This sounds reasonable. I can get it going at the end of today. Stick with the original 2 votes each?
I'll wait until later today to get more feedback, just in case.

We're still talking 66 entries, so I'd say stick with the 3 votes each.
The number of 60 entries in the 1st round is arbitrarily. A balance between as much as possible without excluding only the 66th entry and not too small and risk a result without any vote-less entries. (though in this case we only need one poor sucker.)

<waiting mode for massive feedback>

I like @Elckerlyc's 2 polls solution although it is more work for @elvet , (sorry) - the solution where the first poll eliminates all the entries without a vote, then the left over entries plus all those that got a vote are entered in the second poll.

Also, stick with 3 votes. It's nice being flexible depending on the number of entries

The average number of voters is around 20. Given that there are 66 stories, then there are going to be quite a few that get no votes at all if we only have 2 votes each, so I would be in favour of 3.

I think also consideration needs to be given to the amount of time to vote. With 66 entries, we're talking about 6,600 words to be read - and that's if voters only read stories once.

Personally I think that (if we are leaving all the stories in) the best option is to open up a new thread, and the only entries in it are votes. No discussion, no thanks, just 2/3 nominations/votes from each person. But I am more than happy to go with what elvet thinks best, and is happiest to deal with.

The 2nd vote session doesn't have to take long. You take the entries you voted for in the first round, compare them with the (few) newly added entries and either redistribute your votes or not. Piece of cake.
But if you want to review them all once again, I won't stop you. :D

The 2nd vote session doesn't have to take long. You take the entries you voted for in the first round, compare them with the (few) newly added entries and either redistribute your votes or not. Piece of cake.
But if you want to review them all once again, I won't stop you. :D
And anyway, everybody is going to be voting for my entry, so there'll only be one to carry over. ;)
Assuming I entered only one :sneaky: