May / June 100 Word Anonymous Challenge 2022 Discussion Thread

I can see a common style in a lot of the entries... there's a few of us hedging our bets I reckon;)
I haven't read them yet but 17 entries featuring The Dark Lord will trigger my 'suspicion' antenna.
(As will multiple Ballonnicles of Flimp. )

Yes 3 votes please. I hate letting people down after they have mailed me a bottle of Gordons in in anticipation of a good outcome.

Well, since we've passed the magical 42 entries, I also say 'aye' to the thrice vote system

And now, I'd better think about getting my entry in :unsure:

We appear to have hit a snag. I am setting up the poll for later, and it appears that bthe maximum number of slots is 65. We are at 66.
I will contact the powers that be.
Maybe just set up two polls, but then it will be harder to track how many votes each person has cast :unsure:

Well, if we can't increase the number in 1 poll, we have some options.
I'm not keen on cutting back any entries to fit the 65 limit. Next Challenge I think I will see about running the entries for 4 weeks instead of 6 weeks.
We can divide the stories as equally as possible and run 2 polls.
Option 1:
Run 2 polls simultaneously, and let the voters have 2 votes in each poll. (Voters get 4 votes in total)
Option 2:
Run 2 polls simultaneously and let each voter have only 3 votes total, but they must place them in each poll as they see fit. And yes, it may be a nightmare for me to keep track of who votes where and that no one over-votes.

Well, if we can't increase the number in 1 poll, we have some options.
I'm not keen on cutting back any entries to fit the 65 limit. Next Challenge I think I will see about running the entries for 4 weeks instead of 6 weeks.
We can divide the stories as equally as possible and run 2 polls.
Option 1:
Run 2 polls simultaneously, and let the voters have 2 votes in each poll. (Voters get 4 votes in total)
Option 2:
Run 2 polls simultaneously and let each voter have only 3 votes total, but they must place them in each poll as they see fit. And yes, it may be a nightmare for me to keep track of who votes where and that no one over-votes.
Fair play @elvet -I reckon we should go with whatever is easier for you to tally, so option 1; the curse of having a bumper crop;)
Or just randomly cut one.
Thanks for all the work

Option 1 wouldn't be fair* because what if you wanted to cast all votes for entries in the first poll
* maybe fair isn't the correct word here, but I hope you understand

Option 2 might work, but with so many entries, is 3 enough? And one would hope the people on here are honest enough to only cast the required number, but mistakes do happen.
How about if they cast more than they should, then they lose a vote from their top voted entry (evil laughter :devilish:)

Another option.
Two polls is too complicated. If we can't handle more than 65 entries we must limit it to comply with that number.
Ask the person with the most entries to retract one. If there are 2 super-contesters with the same number of entries let them both retract one of their choice. And perhaps, set a limit to entries per person anyway.

Congratulations to AnRoinnUltra for setting such a popular challenge. And many thanks to elvet for managing such large numbers of entries.

Yeah, I agree that running a 4 week rather than 6 week compo should stop this happening again. It may be worth running it mid-month to mid-month (eg 15th May - 15th June) to avoid clashing with the beginning and end of the 75 and 300 word Challenges. Alternatively limit the number of entries to 5?

I think it could get quite messy running 2 polls simultaneously. Anyone who doesn't fully read the rules, or isn't familiar with the process could easily end up voting in both. polls And I don't believe that once a vote has been cast it can be un-cast? Have you considered asking the person with the most entries to have one remove from the voting?

Another alternative would be open a new thread, and we cast our votes by naming our choices rather than clicking a 'vote' button. These are added up manually at the end of the voting.

And perhaps, set a limit to entries per person anyway.
But what happens in the future when this challenge becomes so popular and hundreds of people want to enter ;)

Anyway, if I know software, and I do, there will be a setting somewhere to allow more than 65 entries in a poll. It might not be available to the site's administrators, but the programmers of the software will know where it is. We probably just have to supply cake to make it happen :p

Another option.
Two polls is too complicated. If we can't handle more than 65 entries we must limit it to comply with that number.
Ask the person with the most entries to retract one. If there are 2 super-contesters with the same number of entries let them both retract one of their choice. And perhaps, set a limit to entries per person anyway.

Oops , just seen this after posting. Pretty much sums up what I was thinking/suggesting.

Personally I don't like the thought of asking someone to remove an entry they could have spent lots of time creating for the Challenge, but that is a better alternative than having 2 polls running at the same time which could easily create issues.

Oops , just seen this after posting. Pretty much sums up what I was thinking/suggesting.

Personally I don't like the thought of asking someone to remove an entry they could have spent lots of time creating for the Challenge, but that is a better alternative than having 2 polls running at the same time which could easily create issues.
Tis prob handiest to just shave one, the anonymous thing complicates this (if someone has typed more than their fair share of tales, not that anyone would, then I reckon it wouldn't be unreasonable to drop one ...especially if it wasn't Shakespeare material;)