Moon phases in other words

Japanese

Shingetsu- New Moon
In this phase, the sun, moon and earth align, so that the moon's light is shielded by the earth and the moon remains unseen. Though it's dark, you can still see a thin sliver of a border where the moon should be.

Futsukazuki- Second-day Moon
A slender crescent on the right-hand side of the moon.

Mikazuki- Waxing Crescent
The word waxing refers to growing, or expanding in illumination. In this phase, the moon begins to grow

Jusanyazuki- Still Waiting
This halfway moon is thought to be especially beautiful despite growing anticipation.

Komochizuki- Lying down
This nearly-full moon is best appreciated when lying down in a clear area and looking up at the night sky.

Mangetsu- Full Moon
Also known as harvest moon, the full moon reaches its highest illumination and shines brightly in the sky.

Izayoizuki- Hesitating Moon
This moon seems to hesitate in the twilight before rising, hence the term izayoi (hesitating). It is also be called the “waiting for twilight moon.”

Tachimachizuki- Standing and Waiting
As the moon rises progressively later in the day by this time of the month, the name suggests standing and waiting for it to appear.

Imachizuki- Sitting and Waiting
Because this moon takes even longer to rise than tachimachizuki, you end up sitting and waiting for it to appear.

Nemachizuki- Sleeping and Waiting
This lemon-shaped moon was beloved by Edo Rimpa school artists, who painted natural subjects against backdrops of gold leaf.

Fukemachizuki- Waiting Late Into the Night
Still later to rise, this moon doesn’t come out until late into the night.

Kagen-no-tsuki- Lower Bowstring Moon
This half-moon resembles a strung bow waiting to be launched.

Mosikasuki- Full Moon
A dark, moonless night, this phase is known as moon shadow. Once this phase is reached, the cycle starts all over again.

OK good sir, you may already know that in Arabic the Moon has a more astrological meaning-see link (the early Arabic Astrolabe is based off this)
One thing to remember, as you know, not all cultures see the moon in phases, but in astrological meaning and the Arabs are very noted for this.
Hope it helps. I also hope that all cultural info from me and the others help you good sir!

Arabic Lunar Mansions – منازل Manzils

Last one in Hawaiian. This one is big so I'll leave it up to you.
I must say. This has been a good Anthropological-Astrological study. Just wondering, did you find the Greek moon phases?
Hope all of this helps you.

Hawaiian Moon Phases

Last edited:
Sharky’s Fish & Chips’s Divine White Light
Dingus Jim’s Old Half-Mast
Forgotten Aeon’s Foreseeing Shadow
Lil’ Dippy
Lil’ Debby
Ice in my ear give me brain freeze

Brain Freeze #1 Brain Freeze #2

Last one in Hawaiian. This one is big so I'll leave it up to you.
I must say. This has been a good Anthropological-Astrological study. Just wondering, did you find the Greek moon phases?
Hope all of this helps you.

Hawaiian Moon Phases
I did not find the Greek moon phases.

The other material was interesting. Some of it had more to do with the annual cycle (e.g., the Arabic one, but also the Chinese lunar mansions cycle), but astrology plays a role in Altearth for several centuries, so I'll tuck that one away. I rather like Waiting Moon, and have that one as a candidate now.

Thanks for the references!