Short Story - Far in the future a "human" ambassador negotiating with an alien race...

Miroze

I don't remember the title or who wrote it, but this was a short story that took place far far in the future. Humans are now all genetically engineered for their roles. The human ambassador is large and powerful, covered with a black shell of an exoskeleton, as being hard to injure or kill is useful in the role of ambassador to primitive species. I'm not certain I remember correctly but I think the race he is negotiating with is on the verge of expanding their presence in space and he is there to try to get them to agree to certain limitations. They don't like the idea of the humans limiting their growth and though he tries to warn them that they really should reconsider they refuse.
The story ends saying that humans that have been genetically engineered as the ultimate in warriors are coming to deal with this race - in their 8 mile long warship.

I read this many years ago and I can't figure out who wrote it or what it was called! Help!!! :)

I wonder if this could be Death Ship by James Follett, book 2 in the Earthsearch series: Earthsearch Series by James Follett
I've checked out a summary for "Death Ship". It looks like and interesting story, but I'm certain it's not the one for which I'm searching. The story I'm thinking of was a short story, and it was far in our future. Humanity no longer resembles what we think of as human and every human is genetically engineered to be perfect for their assigned task. The main character is a large, armored, well spoken, and diplomatic individual who seriously is trying to persuade the young species he is negotiating with that it is in their own best interest to accede to the limitations than the humans wish imposed as he knows that they will be wiped out if they do not, but they don't realize the danger they are in.
I wish I could recall when I read this story! It may have been 40 plus years ago, and not remembering is simply an itch I cannot scratch! Thank you for the suggestion, but the search goes on! ;-}

Back