Gay/LGBTQ2IA etc. Series or Stand Alone

Seeking

Hello,

Firstly, apologies if this is a repeat thread. I tried to filter and search for answers to what I had in mind to ask and my search came up sparse. Admittedly, my librarian and IT skills are incredibly under developed so there may be a section of threads I missed altogether. That said...

I really like reading gay sci fi and fantasy series and have read a few and now wish to consume more. I have tried to navigate Goodreads but the lists are so dated and massive that finding anything appealing is difficult. Reddit is also hit or miss so here I am.

To clarify, I do not read books with lesbian or sapphic vibes. Similarly, I do not read books with trans MCs. I avoid these POV MCs not because I undervalue their importance rather I just want to imagine myself as someone else and I only wish to do that through gay or bi usually cis male MCs.

I have read many series about gay men written by female authors and have come to truly feel frustrated by the disconnect I feel when I read flowery language designed to appeal to other women. To that end I have tried to find more male authors writing about male characters except most are not sci fi/fantasy I've found.

So, with all that qualifying preamble out of the way, this is my question:

Are there any sci fi/fantasy novels or series you can recommend that have male, gay or bi, MCs, are written by male-identified authors and that are actually good, fun to read books?

In terms of genre, I like a good military sci-fi, vampire/werewolf/necromancer/mutant fantasy worlds, aliens, police procedurals, etc.

These are books and series I've read (with both male and female authors) that I've enjoyed (and some I didn't):

Gregory Ashe's Hazard and Somerset Series (it does get tedious, repetitive and formulaic)
Onley James' Psychopath series (just the worst)
Jaclyn Osborn's Sons of the Fallen series (I'm anxiously awaiting Bellamy, though lets be honest there are no real stakes)
James S.A. Corey's The Expanse (no gay MCs, though I feel Amos is queer coded)
Hailey Turner's Soulbound series (epic, frustrating, repetitive, too much sex, addictive)
Mary Calmes' Marshalls series (I read them all, again repetitive, frustrating with no real stakes)
S.J. Himes' Beacon Hill Sorcery series (I had issues with this series book to book)
N.R. Walker's Cronin's Key series (I can't even distinguish it by memory from the one above)
Nathan Burgoine's Trial Blood series (I liked it but it is unfinished and imbalanced)
Amy Fecteau's Real Vampires (I liked it)
Sam Burns/W.M. Fawkes' Wold Moon Rising series (I did not like the Mpreg-like vibe)
A.J. Sherwoods' Scales 'n' Spells (DNF, I think)
S.E. Harmon's Spectral Files series (frustrating flowery sex language)
Hailey Turner's Metahuman Files series (enjoyable though repetitive and too much sex)
Lisa Henry's Dark Space series (I liked it, I think)
Leigh Bardugo (not my scene)
Charlie Adhara Big Bad Wolf series (I liked it)
Krista Richie's Like Us series (some parts good, most parts boring and repetitive)
T.J. Klune's Wolfsong series (probably my favourite on this list but it got repetitive too)

There are are more but this should be enough I hope to help anyone who answers. Thanks bunches if you do.

Last edited:
Jack of Thorns by Amelia Faulkner is one that pleasantly surprised me:

Mil sci-fi shouldn't have any romance; straight, gay or whatever.

It spoils a gripping yarn, the dauntless Space Marines are fighting off the vicious aliens and suddenly there's a cut away to a bit of kissy kissy - why?

Just my opinion, which I've spouted oft in these forums!

Oh, and @Seeking , welcome to Chronicles.
There's a thread about Mil sci-fi with links etc

Jack of Thorns by Amelia Faulkner is one that pleasantly surprised me:
This might be just wacky enough to hit the spot. Thanks mate.

Also, I hate to blow my own trumpet, but if you're looking for something more traditionally epic fantasy then in my Chronicles of Empire series only a couple of the main characters are straight, though sexuality is only an issue for one of the others. Simply because historically sexuality was a lot more fluid than modern binary identities.

It doesn't come up often, to be honest.

Iain M. Bank's Culture novels make mention of being able to change gender. Specifically in The Player of Games (my favourite). (Gurgeh's friend, Hafliss, is a man that often changes into a woman "simply because he liked getting pregnant".)

There is also a wicked paragraph in Surface Detail when we meet the avatar of "Falling Outside The Usual Moral Constraints".

I have read many series about gay men written by female authors and have come to truly feel frustrated by the disconnect I feel when I read flowery language designed to appeal to other women.
Erm, I'm a LGBTQA+ woman and I write LGBTQA+ stuff and I sure as hell don't write 'flowery'. Nor does 'flowery' appeal to me, as a woman. So I find that comment a bit odd.

Anyway, I'll go ahead and blow my own trumpet regardless! https://ninestarpress.com/product/space-mac/ The MC is bi. It's a very silly space romp with aliens. I think there's about two sex scenes but I can't remember exactly (and my sex scenes are usually daft/funny). No flowery language to be seen.

I can't actually recommend any stuff by any other authors because the vast majority of the LGBTQA+ stuff I read isn't sci-fi or fantasy and the couple of series I have read have been awful.

Can i ask what LGBTQ2IA is? I only know a few of them.

Check out Samuel R. Delany's work. The sexuality is not front and centre but it's there in most of them. I'm working through the first Neveryon book at the moment and while it's a meaty book (New Wave/Sword and Sorcery Philosophy) it's interesting. More interlinked novellas than one book, but the main character is bi.

The other one to pop to mind is KD Edwards' Tarot Sequence. Don't know it well, but know a ton of my friends like it. Urban Fantasy-esque.

I also think Aden Polydoros' The City Beautiful fits although I'm less sure it fits the genres you ask for.

Also I know you asked for male authored but Mercedes Lackey's Last Herald-Mage trilogy jumped to my mind so immediately, and I think the tone is very much straight up trad fantasy so you might like it.

Asexual/aromantic

:notworthy: Oh, man, do I feel old. Read that as aromatic and wondered what scent had to do with it.

Got it! Military s.f. with as little human emotion and reality as possible [There's a fiance in your backstory, Corporal? Then no backstory for you!] :p

I have written gay characters that don't have romance as part of their story.

A lot of good stories don't need romance in them.
Was Richard Hannay gay or straight or alphabet in The 39 steps?
It wouldn't have changed the gripping yarn at all

I'm straight whether or not I am in a romantic relationship.

Knowing a character is straight or LGBTQIA+ doesn't mean the story has romance in it. It just means that is what they are.

This thread has been derailed a bit here's my attempt to get it back on track.

I feel like it's a genuinely difficult question because there are actually few SFF books/series available by male authors featuring gay protagonists. Also I'm afraid I haven't read any of the listed comps, which suggests our tastes may not overlap much.

I have been thinking about this but this is all I've been able to come up with:

I'd like to suggest The Bone Ships series by RJ Barker. The MC is male, but not explicitly gay, but the society they live in forbids men and women from sex except in certain circumstances so m-m and f-f relationships are more common. This is mainly an aside in the worldbuilding because there's no romance at all in the series (at least the first 2 books, I haven't finished the series yet).

Similarly Scalzi's The Kaiju Preservation Society - no romance/romantic relationship at all. The MC is deliberately ambiguous as far as their gender/sexuality.

How about The Steel Remains by Richard Morgan?