Sex pistols series

Danny McG

"Uroshnor!"
Somewhere, but I can't remember where I read it or find it now in my browsing history, I saw there's soon going to be a drama series about the Sex Pistols.
No idea what channel or anything, my searches just lead to various punk documentaries.

Anybody?

Only heard about this show yesterday as I was reading about Jordan Mooney's death, That was linked to an article stating that Maisie Willams is playing Jordan Mooney in this series .

Growing up i caught the tail end of Punk in the 70's but was a fan of the less aggressive stuff that Blondie, Sham 60 and Adam Ant was putting out the Sex Pistols were just a little to aggressive for me musically, oddly though as years went by I fell into harder rock music like Slayer, Suicidal Tendencies and Anthrax

Nowadays its all Pink Floyd and the Eagles but I will definitely be watching this series when it finally hits the UK :)

I think this is the series John Lydon went to court over (and lost).

P.S. I bought Anarchy in the UK when it first came out but gave it away because I didn’t like it. Apparently original singles of this are worth a fair bit these days.

Apparently original singles of this are worth a fair bit these days.

Punk memorabilia goes for a fortune! Mate has an original Jamie Reid artwork that cost an absolute fortune.

I love the Pistols - before Glen Matlock left anyway. For a band that were self-consciously anti-musicianship, they were amazingly tight musicians. Steve Jones is a tasteful, guitarist with great timing and attack, Matlock and Cook a super solid rhythm section. Musically, their weak link was Lydon - but his voice is utterly unique and his lyrics and melodies are really fantastic. A real original. Listening back to Never Mind... the songs still crackle with energy.

It's [insert superlative here] pretty insane that one gig in Manchester kicked off the entire Manchester music scene - from Factory Records, Joy Division, The Smiths, Buzzcocks, The Fall, New Order - all at that one gig and all of them inspired to start a band.

It's sad Lydon wasn't allowed to have any input into the series - he can be a boorish, self-centred moron but he's always interesting and funny. Underneath that loud-mouthed exterior seems to beat the heart of a sensitive, intelligent and thoughtful working class chap. Even though boyle is attached I'm not holding out much hope it'll be any good.

It's sad Lydon wasn't allowed to have any input into the series - he can be a boorish, self-centred moron but he's always interesting and funny. Underneath that loud-mouthed exterior seems to beat the heart of a sensitive, intelligent and thoughtful working class chap. Even though boyle is attached I'm not holding out much hope it'll be any good.
I agree. A very interesting character. It’s probably also worth mentioning that he is caring for his wife, who has dementia, and probably every penny counts for him right now. It may well have been a driving factor in the court case.

Having grown up at just the right time to appreciate the Punk movement I kind of missed the wave of excitement - being too stoned, and listening to Steve Hillage and Gong for the most part - I came to realise my mistake pretty quickly and had a radical haircut and was soon into people Like the Gang of Four and The Ruts and The Residents and Pere Ubu...

A couple of years ago my kids discovered punk and suddenly I was a cool dad because I had sh*tloads of Crass, X-Ray Spex, Slits, Adverts, The Damned, etc ad nauseam on real vinyl. We listened to a lot together. All of us thought the Sex Pistols were sh*t. Famous, well-marketed sh*t, but one of the least interesting bands of the time.

All of us thought the Sex Pistols were sh*t. Famous, well-marketed sh*t, but one of the least interesting bands of the time.

I can't stand Crass, lol. I hold them responsible for the late 70's / 80's US punk scene. Gang of Four were great - but post punk, really. Part of the factory crowd with Joy Division / New Order, Durutti Column, Cabaret Voltaire (not a Factory act, but the first band to open up the Hacienda) etc.
It's a bit like every genre defining artist. SP causes an eruption and then everyone copies them and builds on their template. If you came to them late you'd think they were the cliched ones because you've heard everyone else wear out their moves to death.

The pistols had the energy that kicked the movement off (in the UK - obvs you have MC5 / Ramones / Death in the USA before). For my money they were the best punk band with the best songs that did everything a pop song should - make you wanna dance / sex / shout then bugger off all within 3 minutes.

They bought the energy and the attitude. Everyone else was playing catch up with everything, the guitars, the tempo, the vocals, the sound, the clothes, the rebellious attitude. They were a nuclear bomb dropped on the staid, coked up hippy hangover of the seventies prog scene (I love Steve Hillage and Pink Floyd, btw). When I look at X Ray Spex, Buzzcocks, Early Damned, Clash they're either ripping off SP or are baroque punk.

The pistols epitomised 1976 like no other band - like the Beatles did in 1963 and then in 1967.

The pistols epitomised 1976 like no other band - like the Beatles did in 1963 and then in 1967.

In hindsight maybe and then only to a very small part of the population. It's always interesting to look at what people were actually spending their money on back in the day.

Back in 1963 Gerry and the Pacemakers were pretty big - same number of No. 1 singles as the Beatles. The Shadows had most top 10 hits in 1963 with nine hit singles, four of which were with Cliff Richard. Christ! even Freddy and the Dreamers had hits!

In 1976?

Brotherhood of Man had the best-selling single of the year with "Save Your Kisses for Me". The song spent ten weeks in the top 10 (including six weeks at number one), sold over 1.006 million copies and was certified platinum by the BPI. "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" by Elton John & Kiki Dee came in second place. Pussycat's "Mississippi", "Dancing Queen" from ABBA and "A Little Bit More" by Dr. Hook made up the top five. Songs by Chicago, ABBA ("Fernando"), Tina Charles, Demis Roussos and The Four Seasons were also in the top ten best-selling singles of the year.

The seventies were hideous.

Yes, the Sex Pistols were important. And first. But they were sh*t.

Disney's The Pistols with Ant from Ant & Dec, Jacob Collier and one of the Goonies.

278580492_10160781019439523_5466400897282243128_n.jpg

God save the queen
Legitimate regime
You'll make him a Lord Don
With potential aplomb

God save the queen
She's not a baked bean
Don't you wish you knew her
And England's beaming

Don't be told she's nonchalant
Don't be told no bon vivant
There's no hoover