Good Going Bad

Why do most knights or warriors want to be king? To be honest, I haven't thought too much on this. The only reason I have right now (and I'm not sure it's a good one) is he has a big ego and thinks it should be just given to him since he's known as the greatest warrior in the land.

But if he's the greatest warrior in the land, why does he need the murder-sword anyway?

In any case, keep asking yourself why does he wants these things, what about him gives him such a big ego, and makes him desire the murder-sword when he's the greatest warrior, and you should get there as long as the answers aren't "he just does".

But if he's the greatest warrior in the land, why does he need the murder-sword anyway?

In any case, keep asking yourself why does he wants these things, what about him gives him such a big ego, and makes him desire the murder-sword when he's the greatest warrior, and you should get there as long as the answers aren't "he just does".
Thank you for interest.

The mighty warrior's name is Ronnac and he is a Lainorian. The Lainorians have no king or queen. A wise man seeing an invasion coming tells them they need a king. It is a tradition among them to have tournaments for celebrating or for making decisions. In this case, who becomes king of Lainor.

Ronnac wants to become king not just because of ego, but also because most Lainorians want him as king. He is feeling pressure.

The problem is the last opponent is an old acquaintance (not a friend or foe) from childhood that always beat him dueling. Currently, Ronnac has lost four straight to Brockinor. If he loses a fifth duel he is disqualified to be king. Ronnac believes an enchanted blade will give him an edge. Ronnac really doesn't want to kill Brockinor but feels compelled to do so for the greater good.

Last edited:
But if his old friend always beats him when dueling, he's not the greatest warrior in the land...? Feels like that very thought might prick his ego a lot.

Thank you for interest.

The mighty warrior's name is Ronnac and he is a Lainorian. The Lainorians have no king or queen. A wise man seeing an invasion coming tells them they need a king. It is a tradition among them to have tournaments for celebrating or for making decisions. In this case, who becomes king of Lainor.

Ronnac wants to become king not just because of ego, but also because most Lainorians want him as king. He is feeling pressure.

The problem is the last opponent is an old acquaintance (not a friend or foe) from childhood that always beat him dueling. Currently, Ronnac has lost four straight to Brockinor. If he loses a fifth duel he is disqualified to be king. Ronnac believes an enchanted blade will give him an edge. Ronnac really doesn't want to kill Brockinor but feels compelled to do so for the greater good.
This sounds like a 'greater good' scenario. Does the benefit to Lainoria, as a whole, outweigh the death of a single person? Is Ronnac's motivation due to him wanting to be king or due to him believing that Brockinor would be a really bad king? Of course, there could be multiple motivations, but the primary one (or at least the primary justification) could be that Ronnac sees himself as saving Lainoria from Brockinor and the invading force.

This sounds like a 'greater good' scenario. Does the benefit to Lainoria, as a whole, outweigh the death of a single person? Is Ronnac's motivation due to him wanting to be king or due to him believing that Brockinor would be a really bad king? Of course, there could be multiple motivations, but the primary one (or at least the primary justification) could be that Ronnac sees himself as saving Lainoria from Brockinor and the invading force.
Thank you for your comments and insight.

Ronnac is what the Lainorians consider what a true king should be: a great warrior, tall, handsome, and an elegant speaker. Except for being a good warrior, Brockinor has none of these attributes.

In one scene, the women (following a group of irrate men) reveal their disappointment and anger to Ronnac of him losing to Brockinor. They state in firm words that they have no wish to be ruled by a man so common. They consider Brockinor to be vulgar and incompetent.

Ronnac agrees that Brockinor is common and also has no wish to be ruled by him.

What you've said in your comments I can use as added reasons why he should be king.

I'm starting a new story. In one of the events, I have a warrior that is considered by all as an honorable man, willing to kill an innocent man (in a tournament for the kingship) and give his first born daughter in marriage to a scumbag in order to become king. To become king he needs a magic sword created by the scumbag. The sword in question can only kill no disarming or wounding.

My problem is my protagonist (?) is basically a decent percent even when no one is around. So, how can I make it believable that he would do such vile deeds to become king? What would be the motivations?

I welcome comments, suggestions, and questions. Thank you.
I've not read any follow up to this so here are my first thoughts.

First, he is either going to have a fall from grace because of the path he chooses to go down, willing to do bad things for the greater good, or perhaps he is possessed in some way. Twisted and perverted from the good man he was, in a similar way to how Tolkien One Ring twisted the people who came in or near contact with it.

Then I thought perhaps he is a fraud who is perceived as being good and honourable, but in reality was never either and manages to pull the wool over so many peoples eyes for so long.

Then I thought about this sword and the scumbag it belongs to. What if he is the fraudster and lies about the swords properties? Your good man might be lied to and told it would only wound, but in reality the slightest nick from its blade is fatal? That way the scumbag might have already married the daughter and be declaring "no refunds" or even "Oh I thought you meant this OTHER sword".

The one thing I'm not clear about at the moment (and you might have clarified this in a follow up post), is if it is really necessary for the innocent man to die. I'm assuming a tourney of some sort, and if the rules are fight to death so be it, but if not, is there a specific reason he has to die? If he does have to die, perhaps the sword your good man wanted would have merely made him fall into a coma that looked like death, with the intention of getting him hidden away somewhere to start a new life. But alas the scumbag gave him the deadliest blade known to magic.

Thank you for your suggestions and questions.
I've not read any follow up to this so here are my first thoughts.

First, he is either going to have a fall from grace because of the path he chooses to go down, willing to do bad things for the greater good, or perhaps he is possessed in some way.
Yes, Ronnac is possessed by greed for more power and gloried and anything else that comes with be king. He starts out being decent, but falls into temptation of desiring more than what's morally acceptable believing he deserves to be king. This desire is reinforced by most Lainorians demanding that he defeat his opponent Brockinor in a series of duel (five out seven (he has already lost four straight)) deeming Brockinor too vulgar and incompetent to be king.
Twisted and perverted from the good man he was, in a similar way to how Tolkien One Ring twisted the people who came in or near contact with it.

Then I thought perhaps he is a fraud who is perceived as being good and honourable, but in reality was never either and manages to pull the wool over so many peoples eyes for so long.
Most Lainorians don't recognize it, but Ronnac has several flaws in his character, one being stuck on himself.
Then I thought about this sword and the scumbag it belongs to.
The sword only belongs to the scumbag (Vynemeer a Nobblin) in a sense that he creates it for sale. Vynemeer is a maker of enchanted weapons that are not made for friendly duels. The sole purpose of Vynemeer's weapons is to kill. Vynemeer is upfront about its evil magic.
What if he is the fraudster and lies about the swords properties? Your good man might be lied to and told it would only wound, but in reality the slightest nick from its blade is fatal? That way the scumbag might have already married the daughter and be declaring "no refunds" or even "Oh I thought you meant this OTHER sword".
This is a good idea for another story.
The one thing I'm not clear about at the moment (and you might have clarified this in a follow up post), is if it is really necessary for the innocent man to die. I'm assuming a tourney of some sort, and if the rules are fight to death so be it,
It's not a fight to death tournament, although accidents are expected.
but if not, is there a specific reason he has to die?
The protagonist Brockinor is an acquaintance he's known from childhood and always bested him at dueling. Knowing this history he fears losing to him again and thus the kingship and why he desires an enchanted blade.