Almost voted for:

Children of a Foreign Sea
by @BT Jones
A creative and hopefull allegory, SF at it's best

Ill met by torchlight by @Luiglin
A Reggie tale straight outta an inappropriate groin hatch -hard to ignore

Retribution by @Bren G
The empress strikes back, and human weapons are useless

Thanks all for all the stories -enjoyed reading them, fair play @Ursa major , @Victoria Silverwolf and @Parson (y)

My shortlist goes: BT Jones, Jo Zebedee, Johnny jet, Marvin, The Judge and Victoria Silverwolf. I've decided that Jo, Marvin and The judge should receive my votes - although another day it might have varied somewhat.

As always, my thanks to Parson and Victoria, and complaints at the number of really good entries, making the voting so difficult and time-consuming.

And I would like to mention how effective the picture was.

As always, many thanks to our reviewers. Making sure every story gets a mention in some way.

More tales obviously based on the image than normal perhaps? The powerful image feeding the community imagination in a very specific way. Great pic and sculpture.

Great job one and all. Takes a good bit of time reading and re-reading such a good selection.
I went for
@Christine Wheelwright - Love a worm that turns tale. Go get em Fish Man.
@JS Wiig - Epic, creation, extinction and creation again in 300 words (or less, I didn’t count.)
@Peter V - Kudos for making a mob story out of this one. Eat your hart out Big Tony.

Shortlist:
Fish-Man! by Christine Wheelwright
Scarlet Eye, Anglerfish by Cat's Cradle
A Daughter of the Past by Aknot
He caller her Ariel by redzwritez

Votes:
The School by Swank for atmospheric description and a chilling conclusion
Museum Piece by Victoria Silverwolf for detailed and immersive worldbuilding
Fish Food by Peter V for a well-crafted story in which a bad guy gets his just desserts (couldn't resist, sorry)

Thank you so much for the votes @ Marvin and @ sule

I was thinking it may be a tad too much on the nasty side to pick up a vote and now it has three. Chuffed with that.

I still wish I had called my two protagonists Ben and Jerry to lighten it up a bit though :rolleyes:

So many terrific stories this Challenge, all inspired by Chris Green's wonderful photo.

Lots to do today, so quickly, my lists:

Honorables:
Peter V, Elckerlyc, Phyrebrat

Shortlist (AKA: stories I could have voted for):
Christine Wheelwright, Aknot, Swank, La Panda du Mal, Quokka, therapist, The Judge

Votes:
Jo Zebedee
Victoria Silverwolf
Teresa Edgerton

Thanks to Parson and Victoria Silverwolf for the fine reviews. And huge thank yous to everyone who has listed or voted for my story. Good luck, all, with the voting, CC

Some great entries. On my shortlist:

Phyrebrat, loved the language and the feel of the bleak place
Teresa, such a deceptively pure, easy, storytelling approach
Paranoid Marvin, fun and clever
Redzwritz, loved the language and the playing with Shakespeare
The Judge, great imagery
Christine Wheelwright, the ending was clever and well built up to
Starbeast, who made me smile, which always gets a thumbs up here

I cast my votes for Phyre, Paranoid Marvin and Christine Wheelwright, which was my favourite story this month.

Blown away by so many lovely votes and mentions. Thank you to all. :)

I cast my votes for Phyre, Paranoid Marvin and Christine Wheelwright, which was my favourite story this month.

Blown away by so many lovely votes and mentions. Thank you to all. :)
Thank you for the mention, but you accidentally voted for me instead of Christine Wheelwright.

@Rafellin Thanks for the vote! :D And many thanks for those who mentioned me. :p

Back